Help please - Truck won't idle or idles with a lope

JGK

Been around
My apologies, this may be a bit long, but I have a problem and I'm at a loss for a reason.

The short: Yesterday, while driving home, in traffic, the truck just lost its capability to idle. Push in the clutch, step on the brake to come to a stop and instead of the truck settling to idle at about 750 rpm, it just drops to 0 and dies. It will start right back up again, but unless you work the pedal and keep the revs up, it'll drop right off and and die.

Right after it did this the "first" time, when I started it, the pedal sort of hung up slightly, but once started, it seemed normal. Also, just after starting it, it rev'd to about 1500 and I flicked the pedal with my toe once or twice to get it to settle down. After that, that did not happen again. It just wouldn't idle. Getting home in late Friday afternoon traffic trying to keep the truck running with a 5 speed is tricky!

Here's another odd part: last evening, after it had cooled down a bit and I'd changed the fuel filter I managed to get it to run, but it idles with a long lope. It will start up (takes a few more cranks). When I let it idle, it will settle down to about 750 revs for a few seconds, then over the next few seconds it will run up to about 1100 or 1200 revs, hold for a second so, then roll back down to 750 for a second or two, then run back up to 1100/1200, then back down. It will continue to do this as long as I let it. I can run up the revs with the pedal, but when a let off, it will cycle again. Takes about 6 or 8 seconds to do one cycle. What's up with that?!

Now the history. I've had a 3K GSK in it for years. Works great. Then a few weeks ago, I removed one spring and the shims behind the big idler spring and set the retaining nut per Smokem's instructions on another thread here. My friend with '98 auto (180 pump) did the same. All has been well on both trucks.

But twice in the last week or so my truck had died while coming to a stop in traffic. Never did that before. Thought it was just a fluke and maybe heat related (been over 100 degrees most days the last few weeks). That's why i quoted "first" above.

What I've done so far: Replaced fuel filter, checked fuel pressure with gauge at fuel inlet banjo bolt on side of pump (20 lbs at 750 revs, up to about 26/28 lbs when it cycles to 1100/1200 revs), removed AFC and plate - both looked good, checked governor spring retainers - both in place and appear to be set where I left them when I did Smokem's mods, throttle linkages seem to work OK. Governor lever seems to be OK, though I need to check where it hits the plate.

I'm thinking of reversing Smokem's mods to see what happens. The only issue there is under one idler spring there was an extra shim, but I didn't note which weight assembly it was under (one set has a number stamped on the weight.).

Anybody got any ideas? I can be reached by cell at 208-859-9233.

Thanks,
-Jay

Well, the problem has shifted focus.

I was looking over the weight assemblies of the governor through the torque plate hole last evening while barring the engine over. Its pretty obvious one spring assembly is cockeyed in the hole in the counterweight. It is shifted up, towards the engine as viewed through the hole. I also noticed a circlip missing on a shaft on that assembly. A magnet fished around in the bottom brought out a bent circlip and a broken pin in 2 pieces. The pin is about 1/16 inch thick and about an inch long in total.

Guess its time to pull the pump and figure out who to take it to for repair.

-Jay

Back