Drag drive shaft loop pictures

joefarmer

MR. Supreme Overlord
After unsuccessfully trying to figure this out on my own, I figured I'd post pics of my front drive shaft loop that satisfies drag racing requirements. Thanks to Karl, Bruce & other QD racers I copied after reviewing their setups in Atlanta last year. Hopefully this will help someone who wants to go fast. Thanks guys, I couldn't figure it out on my own!! :thankyou2:

loop2.jpg

loop.jpg

loop4.jpg

loop3.jpg

Basically it's a Jegs driveshaft loop that was cut up and bolted to the frame. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_744057_-1_10061

(That also was a test powder coat piece testing a new translucent blue.)

Last edited:
Looks good Brandon. I've been putting off loops for some time now, but I need to go ahead and get it done before some real damage occurs. Did you use the same "Jegs kit" for the rear?

Thanks! There's a reason they're required for competition. The exploded yoke hanging on my wall reminds me of that.

I didn't use the same thing for the rear. The rear is just a U shaped piece of 1/2" x 2" bar stock that's bolted to the cross member.

NHRA:
"The driveshaft loop is required to meet the NHRA safety rules if the car is running 13.99 and faster on slicks or 13.00 and faster on street tires."

DHRA requires them for QuickDiesel and quicker trucks.

joefarmer said:
NHRA:
"The driveshaft loop is required to meet the NHRA safety rules if the car is running 13.99 and faster on slicks or 13.00 and faster on street tires."

DHRA requires them for QuickDiesel and quicker trucks.

Quote from the current NHRA rule book: "OEM production line all-wheel-drive vehicles permitted. Driveshaft loop required on all cars running 13.99 (*8.59) or quicker and utilizing slicks, except vehicles running 11.49 (*7.35) seconds or slower equipped with street tires."

The * numbers are 1/8 mile. Even though this is the current rule, some tracks here in the Northwest will make anyone running 13.99 or quicker run drive shaft loops.

Paul

Thanks for the update for the current rule book. Mine hasn't showed up yet and I ordered it about 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to get the rule book from NHRA?

joefarmer said:
Thanks for the update for the current rule book. Mine hasn't showed up yet and I ordered it about 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to get the rule book from NHRA?

I don't really know. For NHRA members they always send them out late December or early January. Makes a nice Christmas present! Then of course they spend the rest of the year changing it... :D

Paul

Back