Steering upgrade!!

phillherling10

So I use to work at my local Oreilly and I was there one day just looking on the computer trying to find a steering box that I can use as a upgrade on my 2001 cummins.
After a day. I found that a 2005 chevy 2500hd steer gear bolts directly to the 2001 ram. This will work for 00-02 ram 2500-3500

The steer shaft was the only thing different. The frame holes are the same. The pressure and return line fittings are the same. The pitman arm spline is the same!!!!

And it's a 3.5-3.75 lock to lock steering.
The steer shaft. All I did was flipped it so that the side that went to the steering column. Now went to the box. Then the side I hooked to the column. I just drilled and shaped it where it would fit. This took me maybe 6 hours. And back on the road.
I wanted to share this because even with the y system steering. It made a world of difference.

I am picking up my 4th gen steering kit tomorrow and after installing and aligning the truck. I'll post how it is.

Here's the moog 4th complete kit part number. DS800981A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its what Borgeson uses as their upgraded boxfor the dodge as well. Sorry, but not new info. Cudos for figuring it out on your own though.

I bought the Borg box when they came out, what's the price on one from oriely's, are they remans?

So it won't work on a 99?

I would have to assume it would work on a 98-02. I am pretty sure the boxes are the same between those years even though they had two different drag link/tie rod setups.

I'm also assuming it'd work on early 2nd gen's too if you changed to the 98-02 pitman arm.

Does the Moog kit include grease fittings? Wish i would have known about this before I bought the Mopar stuff.

Its what Borgeson uses as their upgraded boxfor the dodge as well. Sorry, but not new info. Cudos for figuring it out on your own though.
Interesting, they show two options on splines for the sector shaft, either 32 or 33. Which would match up to a 2nd Gen? Does Borgeson do anything to the box or do they just package it as is from the manufacturer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Back