Cause of Carnage??

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
I figured I'd start a new thread regarding what I know now about a possible cause of my failure. I'd like your thoughts on it even though I don't really have specifics..

I sent my ecm, dual fuel controller, and the high pressure fuel line & T fitting to PPE. Just to re-cap, the fuel line to the top pump blew completely off the T fitting and pulled the threads out of the nut on the line itself......

While sitting at the end of the track, Jeff G. tried tightening the line back down (even with the threads being jacked up) just to see if we could get it fired off and moved off the track.....This was before we knew how bad the engine really was...

Anyway, PPE called me back and told me that my Dual Fuel Controller DID NOT test out to spec and was NOT funcitioning properly!! He said it may have contributed to the cause / pressure spike.........This kit was purchased brand new and only had 6-8 K miles on it during the last year and a half (due to my other failures).......

Well, in the same freakin sentence they tell me that the line and T fitting looked like they had been "over torqued".......Yes, I said...I explained the reasoning for trying to the put the line back on JUST to get me off the track.....

Long the short of it is this.......My PPE controller was somehow "BAD" enough for them to replace it ( under warranty )and state that it may have caused / contributed to my failure / pressure spike......BUT they F'ng Charged me $137.00 for a new fuel line and T fitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!

Never mind that their "dual controller box" may have Cost me a less than 2500 mile Expensive A$$ motor, BUT they want to charge me $137 for a fuel line that got Blown Completely OFF due to that pressure spike that their controller Likely caused!!!!!!!!!!

They would not share any info on how the controller was Not functioning properly, just that it was NOT working properly and replaced it under warranty.

Thoughts?????

OH Yeah!!

And my ecm was sent to be checked and reflashed.....They kept saying that their Dodge engineer was not in and they Never got a chance to reflash it.....So It was sent back having not been checked....

I guess I'll be sending it to Bob W. ....He said that he could help me if they wouldn't....

I just HAVE to make sure eveything is straight before it goes back on.....

So, I know what Dual fueler kit to steer folks away from, just because of pi$$ poor customer care...

I think you arrested a guy thats out to get you or something!!!! He must come over at night and figure out new ways to sabotage your truck swole, hopefully your luck turns around with the new engine. Good luck!

I'm assuming you have a modded FCA on the pump ? Just thinking out loud here.... I wonder if their controller can't jive with a modded FCA ? Don't know how or why but, maybe ??

that sucks bro!!! the least they could have done was replace all of THEIR parts that FAILED. They should have stepped up and done you right, they obviously dont care about their product or their customers. Well atleast Bob will get your ECM back up to par. Goin to Griffin at all this week?

I think you arrested a guy thats out to get you or something!!!! He must come over at night and figure out new ways to sabotage your truck swole, hopefully your luck turns around with the new engine. Good luck!

lol
Thanks man!

I'm assuming you have a modded FCA on the pump ? Just thinking out loud here.... I wonder if their controller can't jive with a modded FCA ? Don't know how or why but, maybe ??

No modded FCA on that top pump......
Same ole Stg. 2 pump from Floor It on the bottom.....Never had issue with it before....
I thnk their part just took a chit and I paid the price...

Of course I will never know if this was the only cause but this IS the only one part that has been determined to be BAD......
that sucks bro!!! the least they could have done was replace all of THEIR parts that FAILED. They should have stepped up and done you right, they obviously dont care about their product or their customers. Well atleast Bob will get your ECM back up to par. Goin to Griffin at all this week?

Yeah, I figured the simple story about Jeff trying to get it tight just to get me off the track would have simply explained the "over tq'ng" part.....It Blew off for some reason...Stand's to reason that the controller contributed to that spike...

Oh well.....I'm just trying to look forward from this....

I may be down there tmrw. and might be on Friday too.....My head may be finished...Except that guy wanted and CRAZY amout to tap those freeze plug holes, so I'll be doing that myself....

If in fact PPE does acknowledge that their parts failed AND contributed to your engine failure, then I would seek an attorney. I would try to get something in writing stating they admit fault, take it to an attorney and let PPE absorb the cost of this rebuild. They should stand behind their products no matter any "off road only" policy. (My opinion only here) I despise layers and what they have done to this country, but sometimes you must use them, and I think this is one of those times. Call me if you want Dave.

Damn, man remind me to kick the black cat that hangs around your truck.

Well I'll be taking my PPE off this week to see if that is my issue. I would be sick as hell if that is the reason. Less than 2yrs and tits up. Thats BS! After talking to you about it that night, I just think that manufactures need to be held accountable, I got it I played I payed but to what extent. So their gizmo goes ape chit and totals your engine. PTSD that is what I'd be claiming.

I hope it works out for you.

Brian.

I had the PPE kit on my 07 megacab and although did not have a meltdown. I did have a controller go bad that was only 3 weeks old causing my truck to go straight to 26,000 psi at idle when started. I cut it off right away and had it towed.... maybe I was lucky and caught it soon enough. I sent the controller off and after about 2 weeks recived a warranty unit. Not to d rail... is anyone having electronic issues with the ats kit???

The more I read about the CR the more nervous they make me.

Was your rail capped?

Yes Sir it was. I have to own that part at least. That usd to be the thing to do. But its not now, thanks to Todd a TCDiesel. He modded my rail and made me a custom pop off relief valve.

thats scary that the controller did that......makes you wonder if it will do it again.
PPE = Piss Poor Engineering

Sorry to hear about how PPE handled the situation, I would point them to your threads (particularly this one) and see how they respond, I would imagine they might wanna give your money back.

I wouldn't go all nuts on PPE. They wouldn't be what they are if there products were sh!t. (not that I've ever dealt with or purchased from them) Was PPE aware that your rail was capped?

PPE's gotten a rep for poor fitment & customer service, but rail caps have been known to be :badidea: for quite a while even w/o a pressure box - can't say if a PRV would've saved the motor from a berserker PPE box... just surprised a build surrounded by as much experience as David's latest was running a capped rail.

Back