5.9L Pulsewidth and Fueling unlocked

EFI Support

Comp Diesel Sponsor
One of the biggest single requests we've had since our first public release was to develop additional controls for more RPM's.

Parameters have been modified, added to, changed and pulled in every direction to provide the best control possible. However, it's been a bit of a double edged sword. While RPM controls have been taken care of (remember the 5,400RPM run by Fleece), there have been other factors sitting in the background still limiting the overall results.

These have been Fueling limiters and final injection pulsewidth limiters.

Once our 2012 GM gasser stuff was sorted out we got right back on to the Cummins. Steady progress has been made over a number of weeks. Ross identified the OS he was most comfortable with and set about "hacking" the OS and finding a suitable test truck. The test truck came from one of our beta tester's customers, with just one problem - all the testing would be done remotely to the beta tester. Not ideal, but it was a start. Within the first week, the boys had hit the first jackpot - another limiter had been found. But it quickly dawned that there were further pieces to the puzzle, so it was back to the drawing board.

Ross created some custom PID's in the scan tool to log what was happening within the many limiter routines and several more of our beta testers now had trucks that were able to run our custom OS to speed up feedback, and test on both auto and manual trucks.

Yesterday, with a highly modified OS patch job, and some custom PID's our testers successfully moved to the next level. What they discovered wasn't a commanded fuel limiter as such, but it was limiting fuel.

We now have about 6 trucks (both auto and manual transmissions) running around with unlimited fueling to 3600RPM.

One of our beta testers commented " 3000pw all the way to 3600 rpms! Suffering pressure loss for the first time and that makes me happy!" This truck runs twins, larger nozzles, so I guess it's not really stock.

What this means is that we've now hit the next level of limiters and require the next level of trucks to continue developing these parameters. Stock just isn't going to cut it from here on up! The next limit seems to be kicking in around 3800 RPM and we are working on resolving this as we speak.

The new tables 'should' be in our next software release, scheduled for next week. If for some reason it doesn't make the cut for the next release, we'll release a patch once they are mapped out for all OS's.

Below is a screen shot from the scan tool showing on one of these beta trucks that they have now gone past the capability of the fuel system because there is now so much fuel being injected, nearly 3000uS injector pulse time at 3,400RPM.

Cheers
Cindy

Attachments

• Log_Post.png
    Log_Post.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
I must say, as a BETA tester...it's been a pleasure to work with Ross on this latest patch.

I have gone from mm3 being pulled at 2800rpm to full mm3 to 3600rpms and duration being cut at 2800rpms to full commanded duration up to 3600rpms.

I can no longer clean up my 90hp injectors with my 66mm turbo.

The truck is a freaking animal over 3k....and with every BETA patch we get, it just keeps getting better and better.
Ive been doing 4000rpm pulls, and tomorrow with a new file from Ross, I'll be trying to see if I can hold mm3 and uS over 4k.

History is being made everyday!!

Thanks EFI.

~Les

Keep up the good work!! I cant wait for the next release now:woohoo:

Great news. My truck has been able to achieve that same thing to about 3600 then thats when it decides to die down.. why is the rail psi so low in the log?? thanks danny

Great news. My truck has been able to achieve that same thing to about 3600 then thats when it decides to die down.. why is the rail psi so low in the log?? thanks danny

100hp injectors on a I believe a stock high milage pump...the initial duration load pulled the pump down, and it was not able to fully recover.

I had ran the same duration table with my Arson III kit equipped truck, and did not suffer any pressure loss, and I am running 90hp injectors.

~Les

That looks alot like a log from our test truck. For a long time I always said that a stock pump could keep up with 100 horse nozzles, but with the added pulsewidth in the upper rpms it simply cannot recover. The truck in question is a bone stock motor truck with 100 horse nozzles and a dual disk clutch. I am glad to finally see the truck needing more fuel and even with the low pressure it is an animal.

Last edited:
Gotcha. Good deal.. good to hear we can tune them to need a pump. With only injectors.. means its making some power.

Now just get it to 4500 and well be good. I'll be doing gear change and billet 60

very very good news gents! its like opening up a xmas gift that has more presents inside of it!

i guess with the fuel consumption going up we will find out how far an arson will really go before its simply not enough...

Les, with the 90's and the 66, i assume its still clean as a whistle down low but how would you explain the smoke at WOT ? its good to know that the fuel is there at WOT but is it streetable?

Looks like I need to start the search for an 06 ECM. This is getting excitng, my 66 can't clean up my injectors as is.

Les, with the 90's and the 66, i assume its still clean as a whistle down low but how would you explain the smoke at WOT ? its good to know that the fuel is there at WOT but is it streetable?

With commanding that pulse on top without adjusting timing to go with it...smoke is inevitable.

Its not alot at all, just a dark haze, but still way richer than the clear I had before.

I prefer some fuel unburnt on top...especially with sled pulling. Pulling a clean 3800-4000 down the track was a little un nerving. But I'll feel better now with some fuel left on top.

~Les

I must say, as a BETA tester...it's been a pleasure to work with Ross on this latest patch.

I have gone from mm3 being pulled at 2800rpm to full mm3 to 3600rpms and duration being cut at 2800rpms to full commanded duration up to 3600rpms.

I can no longer clean up my 90hp injectors with my 66mm turbo.

The truck is a freaking animal over 3k....and with every BETA patch we get, it just keeps getting better and better.
Ive been doing 4000rpm pulls, and tomorrow with a new file from Ross, I'll be trying to see if I can hold mm3 and uS over 4k.

History is being made everyday!!

Thanks EFI.

~Les

Full fuel at 5500 and you'll be grins ear to ear. All the sudden the turbos get real small.

I understand that completely. Kudos for all the knowledge learned!

Full fuel at 5500 and you'll be grins ear to ear. All the sudden the turbos get real small.

this would put us at sigma status!!.. lmao knobody will ever use 5500rpm fueling.. except mod trucks and maybe someone crazy in the 3.0 class.

Back