Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Old 11-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #541
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Who makes that band clamp?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 11-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #542
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #543
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post

Lots of companies make them. They're called quick release V-band clamps.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #544
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
It's a different design from the RG Ray's I'm accustomed to.

Sent from my Rotten Apple

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 12-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #545
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Just another day in the office.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #546
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Tomorrow PRI Indianapolis.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #547
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
PRI 2015 Indianapolis. Great motor sport show and to big to see it all in 3 days.

I met some companies and people involved in diesel tuning and to my surprise there is a demand for a more flexible diesel engine management but as I was thinking US and Canada have it all covert for the pickup truck marked using mostly OE ECU and rewriting the code for it to make it work for motor sport. As I understand some use BOSCH motorsport setting you back over 10K US on cost I think?

I general I get good feedback on what is needed or wanted and most of them want data logging in combination with the possibility of making there own controls for fuel pumps or wastegate control for example not having to go back to the ECU supplier to get things done.
Having the possibility the build control stuff is very tempting but as I know it will take time and effort before all this new freedom will come to good use and I think we need to get working on local support on the diesel end of things.

Also get a load of questions on the Cummins QSB or ISB engines how to get more power out of them. Some take out the safety valve on the commonrail and bock off so they can run more fuel pressure and yes this works but can be very dangerous. I think using the XPI injection system from a QSL9 Tier 4 engine will give some options as I think this system is a lot the same as what we use on the race truck and is able to run over 2500Bar or 36259 PSI fuel rail pressure and even making 200Bar more fuel pressure give a load more torque less smoke and EGT as you get by extending injector duration.

Cummins QSL9. I have one coming as a next week job after overhaul testing.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #548
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Some of the things we did in 2015 on the Motor Sport department.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #549
Big Boy Toys

Name: Big Boy Toys
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
I think you will find some more info here. http://www.simextyres.co.nz/simex-ar...le=-2092972571
Thank for the link, haven't seen anything similar to these.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #550
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Dakar 2016.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #551
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Stage 2 Dakar Rally 2016

Old 01-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #552
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Dakar Rally 2016 Stage 4 and 5 marathon stages with no service and short after the start from stage 4 one of the mudguard came lose and it took them close to an hour to have this fixe it still not able to go full atack on the stages for these two days as the ricks was to big that they get more damage to the mudguard bracked so they droped as low a 32 place in the rankings due to this.

Hi altiude. 4700 meter max. stage 4,5 and 6 vary from 3700 tot 4700 meter hight so in the ECU settings for fuel meetering and boost control your better save than sorry as running a turbo to the max @ hours on end will give them a hard live. Also smoke must be withing limits but it seems we got it well covert on that parts as well running as always 730c EGT and powerlos is not that great.

Stage 6 they could go full atack again jumping up to 26 place allready so that’s looking promesing to hit the top 20 as this will be team goal and the best is yet to come, big dunes as so far most of the stages were WRC and these are not realy there best thing.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #553
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday we finished stage NR8 and now holding 24 place overall and still moving up.
After one day rest the second week of the rally starts with more sand dunes and a bigger navigation task for the co pilot to find a wave points on route.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #554
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The 3D simulations makes it possible to produce engine parts ranging from pistons design up to very complex camshaft designs for electronic activated pump injector units.

We can now build engine parts that will perfectly fit so if we have to build a cam and pistons we now longer have to build in stages as it not that easy to get the camshaft whiting the specifications as on most of the engine we work on you have a lot of odd angle changes and pivot points so changing cam lift for example gives a massive offset to real valve timing.

The Euro 6 Rally truck is going well and yesterday rally stage until wavepoint 5 they hold 15 position but on the last part of the stage they had to change a tyre so they dropped back to a 24 position now holding a 23 position in the overall ranking.

There are also some electrical problems as the OE wire loom seems to be falling apart as yesterday the wastegate control and oil temp sensing did not work.
We know the turbo can take a lot of punishment so they blocked the airline from the intake manifold to the turbo giving 0,5 or 7PSI more max boost and the wastegate still opens on EMP but big chance is the ECU starts limiting fuel as discharge temp from the compressor or intake temp will prevent hi EGT as they have to run full power hours on end.

To get some idea on what they have to deal with have a look here. http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2016/us/s...os-galery.html

Last edited by tall boy; 01-14-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #555
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Rally Stage 10 and 11. The real Dakar Deal sand and dunes and feshfesh miles on end.

Stage 10 went very well running 16 place on the stage up to the last wavepoint but than bad luck. A broken tyre sent them back to 24 place losing more than 30 min to change it but the speed en engine power is there to prow over the feshfesh and take the dunes.

Stage 11 same story after 2 wavepoints holding 19 place and short after steady on 18 place until on of the front shocks broke off hitting the slave steering cylinder so they had to do emergency repairs and slow down a lot ending up on 28 place on the end of the stage.

Currently they are holding 21 position overall and the goal is to end up into the top 20.

Still two rally days to go so any thing can happen.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #556
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
We have done it! Finch Le Dakar Rally 2016 23e place overall.

We aimed for a top 20 position but this did not happen due to many WRC rally stages on it’s not the favourite type of stage for the driver and to be honest improvement to the suspension is needed to perform better on these gravel roads. And believe me I know as I have been driving rally’s for many year winning loads of rally’s and good breaks and suspension will do a load more than big engine performance so I hope the team will start working on improvements on that part.

Feshfesh and dunes is a better story and the layout of this truck is better for this type of terrain as it got the speed and power to take the sand dunes in one attempt as before having to find a different root to get to the same wave point so on that part we are on the same level of performance as the factory teams like Kamaz Iveco and MAN and running these very heavy stages we jump into mid top 20 stage time so good improvement is made there as well.

Low-end power. Yes we are short of this compared to the factory team and before I want to jump over to a BorgWarner VNT turbo I want to test a load of things with the S400SX we are now using as a VNT makes things more complicated as need to monitor turbo RPM and EGT a lot more and as simple as it sound every component can break down and turbo RPM and EGT become more critical on a VNT turbo we have to reduce more engine power if one of these two sensors fail to be save.
But we are not finished with the S400SX as we now know we can run this turbo a lot harder than only 350Kpa max or 36 PSI. 400Kpa or 43 PSI will not hurt it.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #557
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Awesome....

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #558
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Just curious is there anything cummins powered in the rally ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #559
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The only Cummins engine used is in the Ginaf Power rally semi truck. They use the Chinese build Cummins ISZ 13 engine. 850Hp and not a very good job on reducing smoke and this is Cummins being very protective about things. Let us have a go on this engine I would say. .

They did not get far as the gear train to the compressor was damaged on the marathon stage with no technical backup so exit rally.

On of the interesting things on this semi it got 4 wheel steering.

About 21 minutes in to this youtube movie.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #560
HeTheAethyr!

Name: HeTheAethyr!
Member`s Gallery
I could see how Cummins wouldn't want an advertised/production engine exhibiting a smoke show in public.

That fuel pump has been used for years and carries the same foot print as a P7100. These pumps are known to chatter lifters from hydraulic harmonics and destroying internal camshaft. Also being the engine is governed at 2200~ in its platform, you float the pumps lifters at higher RPMS. You'd need a lot of air down low.... But would flow the fuel you need!

Last edited by HeTheAethyr!; 01-17-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: im not an english major