Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #17441
ktllc15

Name: ktllc15
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
How hot is your tranny getting? On a longer 6-7% grade mine will run 150-175° and my coolers bypassed.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #17442
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Your truck must be a freak...1194hp, doesn't get hot and no transmission cooler at 100K lbs??

Sounds like I just need to send this one to you to sprinkle some magic on it. Either that or you can just take the gauge out of it....I'm betting you don't run a gauge on transmission temperature.

Chris

Dad’s truck had the water cooler when it was a 10spd, swapped in the 13spd and put an air cooler on it. Cooler started leaking so I looped the hoses and it made zero difference in temp between all 3 setups. So when I swapped my engines I ordered the $10 block off plate and threw the “cooler” on the scrap pile.

Since the harness I used was for a Pete glider I never got around to moving the gauge wires. They’re virtual gauges on the nav screen. However there are 2-3 other setups identical to mine and they don’t have temp issues so until it starts puking oil out of the seals......

Friend had 9 coal trucks in eastern KY for years and said 90% had the lines looped. So if they can load 50 ton in a bucket and roll through the mountains, mine should live an easy life.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 05-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #17443
Rig Wrench

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
How hot is your tranny getting? On a longer 6-7% grade mine will run 150-175° and my coolers bypassed.
Watch sayin "hot tranny" around faulkner. He gets excited for reasons you might not intend
Old 05-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #17444
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Either way, in my searching for solutions to my "problem" I found this...

Problems

It seems our boy allan5oh has not always been as smart as he seems now...

Chris
Eh what's the problem? The genius that hooked it up put both coolant tubes to the high pressure side. It was doing nothing!

Put an air cooler on my headache rack and haven't seen anywhere near 200 since. Thats with the new spec Eaton oil which is thinner than previous. But I also cruise in direct now which makes a huge difference.

Last edited by allan5oh; 05-29-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #17445
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Eh what's the problem? The genius that hooked it up put both coolant tubes to the high pressure side. It was doing nothing!

Put an air cooler on my headache rack and haven't seen anywhere near 200 since. Thats with the new spec Eaton oil which is thinner than previous. But I also cruise in direct now which makes a huge difference.

And your making the same power as a stock C16 and hauling 1/2 a load. Completely shocked yours isn’t getting hot.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #17446
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
And your making the same power as a stock C16 and hauling 1/2 a load. Completely shocked yours isn’t getting hot.
Well it was in Montana at elevation and 105+ degrees with a sidewind. Usually when you get into the elevation it cools right off but I doubt you easterners know that.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #17447
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Well it was in Montana at elevation and 105+ degrees with a sidewind. Usually when you get into the elevation it cools right off but I doubt you easterners know that.

At 105* your trans is considered “normal” at 100-120* over ambient air temp which would be 205-225. Eaton considers 250-300 hot and even then they consider it acceptable for short term use.

Trans temp is like intake air and water temp. Everyone picks a random number out of thin air and considers it the “max”
Old 05-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #17448
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
It was around 260 IIRC and I could hear chattering. But those conditions were the worst I have ever seen.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #17449
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
They say conventional oil starts breaking down at what 230-250°? Something like that anyways, so I usually use that as my reference. If the oils still able to lubricate it's not too hot. Oh and I run west too and even at 80k pounds and it 90+ degrees outside I've never had mine go above 175 on a longer pull and I have no cooler. I never did understand how using hot water was supposed to cool it.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #17450
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Liquid exchanger is to help get to target temp. If the trans is cold, get to operating temp, if it's hot, shed heat to the cooling system.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #17451
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
240-250* on the gauge in 90* temperatures

Quote:
Dad’s truck had the water cooler when it was a 10spd, swapped in the 13spd and put an air cooler on it. Cooler started leaking so I looped the hoses and it made zero difference in temp between all 3 setups. So when I swapped my engines I ordered the $10 block off plate and threw the “cooler” on the scrap pile.

Since the harness I used was for a Pete glider I never got around to moving the gauge wires. They’re virtual gauges on the nav screen. However there are 2-3 other setups identical to mine and they don’t have temp issues so until it starts puking oil out of the seals......

Friend had 9 coal trucks in eastern KY for years and said 90% had the lines looped. So if they can load 50 ton in a bucket and roll through the mountains, mine should live an easy life.

I figured you'd tell me something like that...problem is my driver has a gauge and won't let me take it out now, so I'll have to get more cooler in it. I have asked him 5 times what happens if he backs down a gear and rolls on with no response.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 05-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #17452
Rig Wrench

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I figured you'd tell me something like that...problem is my driver has a gauge and won't let me take it out now, so I'll have to get more cooler in it. I have asked him 5 times what happens if he backs down a gear and rolls on with no response.

Chris
Shifting is hard
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #17453
ktllc15

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Shifting is hard
Ya God forbid you miss a gear and have to drop two! I've seen guys slow down to 20ish miles an hour at the bottom of the grape vine in Cali just so they don't have to down shift going up....

I wonder how much of a difference in temp would input shaft speed make when under sustained heavy load? Could you're high temps possibly be related to the driver lugging it down too much before dropping a gear? I wouldn't think it'd matter since either way the gearbox is under load but that's starting to get into things that are above my pay grade.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #17454
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Chris

From the coal haulers, he said if the cooler isn’t mounted in the grill of the truck don’t waste your time. There isn’t enough air flow under the truck on a hard slow pull to make any difference. We used to mount them under the truck on these gliders and have since just used the bypass plates with the same results.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #17455
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
The heavy haul truck I still work on added a liquid to air with an electric fan between the posts of the rack and claim not to have been past 200 since.
They threw a fit when the truck was new because it got hot pulling the hill at e-town on I65.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #17456
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Shifting is hard
Running in direct makes a huge difference. Too bad most drivers think 12th and 17th is direct.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #17457
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
I've heard of guys doing some special coating (not microblue FFS) on all the gears and such. One guy has never seen above 130f without a cooler. He runs thinner oil too.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #17458
allan5oh

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
From the coal haulers, he said if the cooler isn’t mounted in the grill of the truck don’t waste your time. There isn’t enough air flow under the truck on a hard slow pull to make any difference. We used to mount them under the truck on these gliders and have since just used the bypass plates with the same results.
I can believe that. I've seen a couple transmissions lost due to air coolers being underneath. To me that's barely better than a water to oil cooler on top of the tranny. The kind with the shifter. No the other kind. You're a sick ****.

Ive heard heavy haulers - the REAL heavy kind - put them on the headache rack with a big fan or like you said in the grill. Nothing else works.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #17459
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Copy that. I think we're talking 45mph or so, but I'll see how much room I have in the grill. That new big fan pulling air through it would be the best thing.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm sure we're not causing any major damage to the transmission, just my brain.

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 05-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #17460
Rig Wrench

Member`s Gallery
I used to pull a quad axle dump bucket with 39 ton plus in it thru the Adirondacks with the regular old barrel cooler. I didnt have the power allen has but I never saw much more then 10-15 degrees difference from coolant.