Cummins C-Series - Type QE296C. Explain "governor"

4x4dually

So I bought this reman compressor for the 8.2L. Apparently I need to buy an unloader valve and a 'governor' for it. I understand the unloader part. What is the governor? Isn't that inside the compressor? If it is external, how the hell does it tell it when to pump or not? Makes no sense. Anyone explain?

3558186X - Remanufactured Cummins/Holset Style Compressor - Haldex product

I'm trying to figure out what parts I am missing. Apparently I need an inlet assembly too? All I got was in the picture.

It sets the cut in and cut out pressures so that the compressor is only under load when needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
0dbee7808dadf6fa4cb565559bcb2447.jpg

Last edited:
Wildman sent me some pictures. It appears there are several versions. One that mounts on top of the head that looks like it belongs and one like the first one above that mounts up top but on the outside. Any reason it can't be mounted remotely?

And yes, I did move the relay valve for the front brakes to the side on one frame rail......after that I was wondering if it was placed in the center for a reason. I guess it is....but we are gonna try it. The truck always pulled to the right on brakes anyway...maybe it will correct it back straight. LOL

You should, but don't have to, mount the air governor on the compressor. It'll mount directly to the back side of that compressor.
The one you want is a model D-2. Internal to the compressor is the unloader valve.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vb32PL1PVU"]Air GOVERNOR - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
You should, but don't have to, mount the air governor on the compressor. It'll mount directly to the back side of that compressor.
The one you want is a model D-2. Internal to the compressor is the unloader valve.

So the governor is the junk on the outside that sends pressure into the top port on the compressor when it is told to "turn off" and stop compressing. I was under the impression that I needed an unloader valve mounted externally as well.

The one I bought says this:

Notes:
Port orientation viewed from rear.
Unloader/Inlet Assembly not supplied.

Should that have read "Governor/Inlet Assy not supplied?

So I figured I'd buy the inlet assy with the filter on it. But not sure where the unloader goes.

Ok. So I ordered a DA34200 Air Dryer and a KN18530 Governor as directed by Haldex tech support as that those are the parts that I "needed."

Now, I have to find a 3559586X Unloader Assy. FindItParts is out of stock. Google isn't helping much either.

Anyone got one of these?

3559586X - Compressor Unloader Assembly - Haldex product

I can have it overhauled if anyone has a core as well.

All I could find.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• QE296C Compressor.jpg
    QE296C Compressor.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 0
  • QE296C Unloader.jpg
    QE296C Unloader.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 0
Dryer $386.65
Gov $23.93

Im have trouble on that 355 pn

Ordered from FindItParts, Haldex's largest distro.

Got both delivered for $336.08 after asking for a 15% discount since the internet wouldn't let me use it. ;D

The dayum unloader assembly is turning out impossible to find. No one has them in stock. FindItParts will rebuild in 3 wks or less if you have a core...I don't have a core even.

So, you don't have a compressor at all? If that's the case, the 3559568K Maintenance Kit wouldn't help you, either.

The unloader is built into the compressor head. You don't need one.

Then why does it specifically say "does not include the unloader" and the guy at Haldex tell me I needed one? I'm so confused. LOL

Even the page BigPapa posted says it isn't included. I'd love for it to be in the head though. please please please.

The unloader is built into the compressor head. You don't need one.

I second this. Unless the seal or valve itself has failed(which happens rarely) it should not need to be replaced. The gov can be remote mounted pretty easily, as as several manufacturers have them mounted remotely. Personally if you have the room, mount it on the compressor.

I second this. Unless the seal or valve itself has failed(which happens rarely) it should not need to be replaced. The gov can be remote mounted pretty easily, as as several manufacturers have them mounted remotely. Personally if you have the room, mount it on the compressor.

I'm not trying to replace it....I bought the compressor and they tell me it doesn't have one.

This is what I bought. Is the thing on top the unloader or not?

Okay. Sorry to confuse the issue.
The QE296 Does not have the unloader in the head. My fault.
The compressor you purchased is a newer design. You could eliminate the need for an unloader assembly if you had purchased an air dryer with the unloader built in it.

Okay. Sorry to confuse the issue.
The QE296 Does not have the unloader in the head. My fault.
The compressor you purchased is a newer design. You could eliminate the need for an unloader assembly if you had purchased an air dryer with the unloader built in it.

Well ****. Maybe I need to call them back and do that then. Crap.

Back