Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
APWCU

Name: APWCU
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Help with Crankcase Ventilation

I have a 98 12v that's just a street toy with some racing every now and then. I typically don't run it too hard for long on the street but recently I held into it on a good stretch and it covered the underside of the truck with oil.

Mods are 64.5/s480, 5x20 infinite performance injectors, hamilton stage 2 street head with HD pushrods, built Goerend auto, 7mm delivery valves, 4K gsk, rack plug, arps, factory fuel system with extra Walboro 392 from sump at tank.

I am burying my 100 psi gauge so I can't tell actual boost but I don't think it's much higher than that. When i first did these mods it covered the underside in oil so I added a valve cover vent to a separate aluminum tank with 2 decent size filters and I still have the factory blow by tube. It obviously came out of the blow by tube when this happened. Is my only option adding a tappet cover with 2 ports for extra ventilation? It doesn't blow out any in short runs but if I hold into it until overdrive and it runs over 100 psi it must really be pushing out.

I apprecite any advise. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by APWCU; 10-05-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Your post interests me. I have a good friend with a built up CR that too is puking oil. Not out the breather tube like yours, it’s his catch can setup.
Engine recently built, mild upgrades such as yours, but why does it burp so much oil??

I’ve seen trucks built to the same caliber and not have this issue.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I made an evac setup going to the hood stack, never looked back since. I used to have to tie down my dipstick before and my catch cans were half full.

I never understood why they're not as prevaliant in diesel as the gas world. Works perfect, also will end oil leak issues.

I bought the kit from summit.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
I second this, venturi evac to hoodstack from the valve cover. also run 2 catch cans from 2 vents on valve cover and vent on front cover. They let it breathe at idle/low rpm and prevent sucking a gasket at high rpm. this did away with my leak problems entirely and have no issues racing and never been kicked from track for puking oil. I did my setup after I saw how well it worked for Jasonc.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #5
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
You guys got any pictures of these setups?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
APWCU

Name: APWCU
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I actually found a vacuum line disconnected at the vacuum pump where I was messing around with the battery the other day. I'm hoping this was mainly my issue. The blow by seems to go way down after hooking the hose back up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlml View Post
You guys got any pictures of these setups?
I can text you one if you want. Send me your number if so.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Empty_Pockets

Name: Empty_Pockets
Title: Undercover Epa agent
Member`s Gallery
540 758 1468 names nic. Thanks man

Old 10-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
I second this, venturi evac to hoodstack from the valve cover. also run 2 catch cans from 2 vents on valve cover and vent on front cover. They let it breathe at idle/low rpm and prevent sucking a gasket at high rpm. this did away with my leak problems entirely and have no issues racing and never been kicked from track for puking oil. I did my setup after I saw how well it worked for Jasonc.
I misspoke, my vents are on tappet cover and front cover. Evac only with one way check valve on the valve cover.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
I had the same issue with my 24 valve, took Jasons advice and did an evac setup into the exhaust, haven't had a problem since.

compounds.png

Old 10-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
zachu: where is the other breather going to? just curious

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #12
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
I ran 2 out of valve cover into the exhaust with my old worn out engine and was getting oil in the stack after hard pulls, so when we built the new engine, I just ended up running 2 out of valve cover and one from front cover into a catch can with filter.

I like this setup much better. The way I see it, if it ever does puke on the track, at least it will go into a can instead of under the truck or on the track....

Old 10-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
I ran 2 out of valve cover into the exhaust with my old worn out engine and was getting oil in the stack after hard pulls, so when we built the new engine, I just ended up running 2 out of valve cover and one from front cover into a catch can with filter.

I like this setup much better. The way I see it, if it ever does puke on the track, at least it will go into a can instead of under the truck or on the track....
I highly doubt that oil in the stack is from the evac, when rpm is up enough to pull vacuum on that venturi egt will be more than hot enough to burn any oil off instantly. If you have oil in your stack my first guess would be valve stem seals.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
zachu812

Name: zachu812
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUnderwood View Post
zachu: where is the other breather going to? just curious
It's going to a catch can behind the headlight.

Quote:
I highly doubt that oil in the stack is from the evac, when rpm is up enough to pull vacuum on that venturi egt will be more than hot enough to burn any oil off instantly. If you have oil in your stack my first guess would be valve stem seals.
I've got the same deal as him, only after a real hard pull I can see oil in my exhaust, sometimes I'll see a drip run down. The truck doesn't go through a ton of oil, just did valve stem seals less than a year ago.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It most definetly was.... when the rings are nice and worn at over 1100hp... It was coming from the crankcase. I never said it sprayed it out the stack, but you could see it and smell it after a hard pull.... I personally wouldn't recommend it in a competition vehicle or with a hood stack... a street truck with a full exhaust, maybe...

Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
I have mine plumbed into the frt valve cover, with a good baffled pickup. Then a straight vent on cyl 5 cover going to a catch can.

My engine is plenty on the loose side, used to half fill the can, and have to zip tie a rag around the dipstick.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
It most definetly was.... when the rings are nice and worn at over 1100hp... It was coming from the crankcase. I never said it sprayed it out the stack, but you could see it and smell it after a hard pull.... I personally wouldn't recommend it in a competition vehicle or with a hood stack... a street truck with a full exhaust, maybe...
Can't be making much power if your egt is low enough to leave liquid oil in the stack after a hard run....

Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Can't be making much power if your egt is low enough to leave liquid oil in the stack after a hard run....
His truck hauls ass, dont go there. Runs 6.0 in the 8th.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #19
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Having mine on the frt valve cover, and a good baffle mounted high, is the reason mine doesnt suck any oil.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #20
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
His truck hauls ass, dont go there. Runs 6.0 in the 8th.
Fair enough then, I take it back about the power. I still suspect valve stem seals though. Oil burns off even at stock egt temps, so I'm having trouble understanding how there would be liquid oil in the stack after a hard run. My stack has only ever been bone dry.

Closed Thread