Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
2022 LP5 - Extremely Laggy

This truck is brand new and I can't believe how much throttle lag it seems to have.
Coming from a 2010 6.7 Cummins, even when it was stock it didn't have lag like this. Not even close.

Do these things (LP5's) have a break-in cal for the first 1,000 miles or something?

Anyways, it's unbearable for me. Has anyone had any experience with BD's throttle spoofer box? (https://us.bddiesel.com/products/ts-...31887672770629)
Is it work checking out?

Otherwise, what's the emissions-intact tuning of choice now days?

Thanks guys

Old 08-09-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Buddy has the same complaint with his 2022.tows equipment daily and said he misses his bone stock 2001 24v nv5600 truck. I'm guessing it's torque management, advertised at 505hp but you only get 250 to the wheels

Old 08-10-2022, 08:17 AM   #3
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
Buddy has the same complaint with his 2022.tows equipment daily and said he misses his bone stock 2001 24v nv5600 truck. I'm guessing it's torque management, advertised at 505hp but you only get 250 to the wheels
No kidding. My 6.7 probably making 350-400hp at the wheels on a mild tune had way better drivability around town.
I was expecting this thing to be slightly faster in stock condition.

I'll let this thread sit here a few days before I start buying things.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #4
regcanfan

Name: regcanfan
Member`s Gallery
The cummins seem to have the break in period, but no idea on the duramax. I can't get excited about the throttle boosters. I've never used one but they just seem kind gay to me, I can just move my foot a little more for the same affect, maybe they work better than I think.

As for compliant tuning Calibrated Power seems to be the guys these days. You probably know it's expensive. If you do go this route, be extremely careful while pulling the connectors off of the ecm. Break a tab on the mounting port and the ecm is no good any more. Meaning HP tuners won't take it as a core. Also the connectors get brittle and pop apart when they get dirty. Yours being new more than likely won't have any problems

Old 08-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
I'd be leery of the throttle sensitivity boosters. You don't want the same thing the Smarty's do on 2nd gens by removing torque management but make throttle resolution poor and kill top end power.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 08-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #6
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Brother in law has a throttle booster on his L5P and it helped.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 08-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #7
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Well, I bought a booster because they're cheap and they could have it here next day. I've also always had good luck with BD products in the past, so hopefully this is another good experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regcanfan View Post
The cummins seem to have the break in period, but no idea on the duramax. I can't get excited about the throttle boosters. I've never used one but they just seem kind gay to me, I can just move my foot a little more for the same affect, maybe they work better than I think.

As for compliant tuning Calibrated Power seems to be the guys these days. You probably know it's expensive. If you do go this route, be extremely careful while pulling the connectors off of the ecm. Break a tab on the mounting port and the ecm is no good any more. Meaning HP tuners won't take it as a core. Also the connectors get brittle and pop apart when they get dirty. Yours being new more than likely won't have any problems
I agree with you. Boosters seem like just remapping throttle percentages vs pedal position. Hopefully there's a little more logic to it than that, but I've always thought they were goofy. I really want to leave this as stock as possible so it'd be nice to get something that piggybacks and doesn't flag anything in the ECM.

Thanks for the heads up on tuners. I'm usually pretty good at electronics and not breaking things while tearing into a truck, but I appreciate the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Brother in law has a throttle booster on his L5P and it helped.
Thanks for the info.
L5P** I'm dumb. A Dmax was the last thing I ever thought I'd look into or own, but I figure it was time to try one out.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
A Dmax was the last thing I ever thought I'd look into or own, but I figure it was time to try one out.
Oops......

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #9
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Oops......

Old 08-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
The throttle booster definitely helps get rid of SOME dead pedal, and makes the rest of the throttle pedal feel more like my 2010 deleted Cummins with the H&SMiniMaxx on 'Street'. That I'm happy with.
The spool-up from a stop is still awful though.

They really should make 'tow mode' the 30,000lbs haul mode with slow input, and the make normal driving mode for just the weight of the 8,000lbs truck. I like that grandpa throttle and shifting when I'm towing, not for driving around town...

I'm going to give this a thousand miles or so before looking into tuning. It'd be nice to keep some warranty.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:30 AM   #11
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Thanks for the info.
L5P** I'm dumb. A Dmax was the last thing I ever thought I'd look into or own, but I figure it was time to try one out.
We all make mistakes.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 08-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #12
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Well, worst comes to worst, I'll swap back to a Cummins in a couple years or just tune it.

I did haul my 10k 5th wheel about 750 miles this weekend. It was a dream to tow with. The features on the truck, all the cameras, the power, all great. I personally would have tuned the suspension a little different (stiffer front sway bar, firmer shocks to make it more responsive), but it is really comfy and the cab is awesome (ergos and quiet).

For driving around town, the throttle booster helps a ton. It's really only stomping on it from a stand still that takes an eternity... I'm finding myself slightly boost launching from a stop sign to get into heavy traffic. I am pretty sure a tune would make this thing really fun to drive.

NEXT QUESTION: I'm seeing several tuning options using HP Tuners hardware/software/credits for ~$3000. I'm also seeing Edge Pulsar V3 for ~$1000. On this truck, I'm not planning on building the trans, larger turbo, bigger nozzles, etc... Just a family hauler/tow pig. Any thoughts on spending $1000 vs $3000 for a tune?

Old 08-15-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
dummins

Name: dummins
Title: Another moron
Member`s Gallery
I run the pulsar v3 on my 21 and I can say it’s definitely worth it. And you can adjust throttle sensitivity as well as tire size. Really woke it up.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
I can't imagine paying more than my first house for a new truck then being disappointed with the drive. I guess the old hazy pigs just got us all spoiled.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 08-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #15
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummins View Post
I run the pulsar v3 on my 21 and I can say it’s definitely worth it. And you can adjust throttle sensitivity as well as tire size. Really woke it up.
I'm probably going to go this route if I don't just get used to it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
I can't imagine paying more than my first house for a new truck then being disappointed with the drive. I guess the old hazy pigs just got us all spoiled.
Yeah, I think having fun trucks and cars in the past makes me more critical. Who knows, I might not be the demographic. People might want a very smooth, disconnected ride. If I could have this thing rev like my old 12V with some Haisley 5k springs, but still have all the creature comforts, I'd be happy as can be.

Old 08-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #16
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Alright, I can’t take the literal scaling of the throttle pedal on this thing. It makes it a little too twitchy at low speeds (neighborhoods and maneuvering a heavy trailer). It also doesn’t help the lag from a stop at all. Looks like I have 30 days to return it, so it’s headed back to BD for a refund and I’m going to try the next step, that Pulsar V3. The Pulsar V3 being a piggyback device, I’m hoping it can still address the throttle lag/low speed torque maps.
Hopefully that’s it and I don’t have to go down the path of full tuning.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #17
dummins

Member`s Gallery
I have zero complaints out of my pulsar, I normally drive on tune 3 and it’s made the truck a lot more fun to drive.

Old 08-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #18
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I have zero complaints out of my pulsar, I normally drive on tune 3 and it’s made the truck a lot more fun to drive.
I appreciate the feedback. It really does look like a slick device and what I'm looking for. Just some simple modes that are pretty well refined.

Have you towed much with it? Any trans temp worries or anything? Or is it just an OEM feeling truck with pre-common rail throttle response?

Old 08-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #19
dummins

Member`s Gallery
I tow my fifth wheel about 15k lbs and have not noticed anything other than the passing lane is a lot easier to go down I had a tuned 17 superduty and a 19 cummins before this truck hands down the best towing truck I have personally owned and the pulsar v3 made it a lot better driving experience

Old 08-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #20
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I tow my fifth wheel about 15k lbs and have not noticed anything other than the passing lane is a lot easier to go down I had a tuned 17 superduty and a 19 cummins before this truck hands down the best towing truck I have personally owned and the pulsar v3 made it a lot better driving experience
Awesome. I'm going to sleep better after this comment.

The truck is getting tint and underbody coating right now. Hopefully the Pulsar is here before the truck is done on Tuesday!

Closed Thread