Trans overhaul

Dazed&Confused

Surfing my own world
47Rh do you all recomend using stock clutches or Alto Reds? I've heard both ways from different people but thought I would ask out here. I have a pretty good idea on how I want to build mine but if you all would like to put what you think should be needed up I would also appreciate the suggestions incase I'm forgeting something.

I wouldn't worry so much about clutch choice.. I'd be worried more about planetaries and having a good cooler setup... and input shaft, i twisted acouple ;-P.
On a serious note; If you keep it cooled, and dont horse around with it you'll be fine!

Good tranny cooler and temp gauge are a must tho!

I've just heard mixed reviews on using the different clutches and just thought I would get some opinions before I ordered anything.

Look for JoeFarmmer He's had some good info on here about the Dodge transmissions, since basically they are a 618A or 747 with an overdrive.

I was trying to remember who had posted info on transmissions I had read over.

Ever have any problems with them? I have heard if you slip the Altos once they like to glaze over and keep sliping but regular clutches dont. Is this correct?

Use stock clutches and either sand the plates or soda blast the finish on them.

I'm guessing sanding the plates helps the clutches bite harder correct. What do you use to sand the plates? That is a nice bit of info I had never heard before.

I use a soda blaster we have at the shop. You can use 400 grit with a criss cross scratch pattern when your done.

Ok, I dont have acess to a soda blaster but have no problem sanding them if it will help.

Then you'll want to have a long conversation with Dave. He'll help you out much more than any of us on the forums can help.

I've been talking with Dave about this very thing for my 95. I'm having him build one up for me, complete tranny/tc. Basically the same uses as you stated.

From an email between me and Dave:

"...this would have the high pressure valve body and the triple disc converter, high performance Alto clutches with extra clutch plates in the front, rear, overdrive and overdrive direct clutches and the 2002 geartrain if you were not going to be racing or sled pulling I would say the trans would be good without the billet input but I think it would be a good investment you should be fine with the stock intermediate and output shaft..."

I'm getting one of his fully built 47RH's with a billet input, triple disc torque converter, flexplate. I told him I was looking at approx 400 rwhp, daily driving/weekend towing, sled pulls over the summer, and a couple runs down the dragstrip, and that's what he recommended.

Back