billet apply leaver?

goerend uses the 2nd spring too. I just put in a goerend valve body in my truck and it has never shifted this good.

Some say 190, some say 220.

Will (BigBlue24) mentioned doubling it up in another thread, but that would mess up the clearances right? I want to try that if its possible next time the trans is out. Which with my luck will be fairly soon LOL

I would stay around 200 to 205 max.

John

I would stay around 200 to 205 max.

John

I just installed my 47rh transmission this morning and during the rebuild/tweak process a few weeks ago, I made some "tweaks" to the valvebody.

My pressure gauge stops at 200 psi, but the peg is set high enough to guesstimate 250 psi. I went too far on my pressure spring shimming/tweaks and it would peg the pressure gauge or 250+ psi.

I gingerly drove around the block and returned home and dropped the pan and turned down the pressure screw two turns and it dropped pressure back to 165 psi.

My point is, for about 5 gear shifts and 2 minutes of operating time, my tranny was running 250+ psi and luckily no damage or ill effects.

*** I do have a doubled up belleville spring, otherwise the 250+ psi would have likely bent the stock single belleville spring in the forward clutch pack***

I still wanna know how you doubled that thing up and kept the clearances?? I had the chance to get one a while back.

Thinner steels and frictions or what?

I still wanna know how you doubled that thing up and kept the clearances?? I had the chance to get one a while back.

Thinner steels and frictions or what?

I can't give away all of my secrets on the internet.....LOL

I dropped back down to (4) frictions and (4) steels, I used to run (5) frictions and (4) steels.

Forward Clutch Pack Stock: (1) Belleville (1) cushion spacer (1) waved snap ring (1) apply plate (FSFSFSF) (1) .280 backing plate (1) snap ring

Modified Forward: (2) Belleville no cushion spacer (1) waved snap ring (1) apply plate (FSFSFSFS) (1) custom apply plate flipped around (1) snap ring.

I dropped back down to (4) frictions and (4) steels, I used to run (5) frictions and (4) steels.

Forward Clutch Pack Stock: (1) Belleville (1) cushion spacer (1) waved snap ring (1) apply plate (FSFSFSF) (1) .280 backing plate (1) snap ring

Modified Forward: (2) Belleville no cushion spacer (1) waved snap ring (1) apply plate (FSFSFSFS) (1) custom apply plate flipped around (1) snap ring.

Is there still concern for popping the ears off of the modified apply plate like you have pictured in the junker thread?

I don't think so, the last steel is a thick one, .090 or so and it helps reinforce/ spread the load on the modified backing plate. The 5 friction setup before had a friction directly mated to the backing plate so it only contacted the width of the friction instead of a full width steel with ears. I also ground the modified plate a little more so that the snap ring has a flat surface to work against. On the first time around when trying to fit 5 frictions, the snap ring was so tight it could not sit flat against the modified backing plate because the diameter of the ridge on the backing plate was wider than the inside diameter of the snap ring.

If I had access to a cheap machine shop, and/or know how, I'd machine a stepped plate out of a stock .280 flat backing plate. All that needs to be done is machine a step .40" wide by .010 deep into the perimeter of the backing plate. (Basically machine a flat recessed place/step for the snap ring)

Upon further inspection of the broken ears, I'd say all but two of them were damaged/broken when I removed the snap ring.

Also take note that the stock clutch pack has (3) steels, my double belleville setup has (4) steels basically added one steel before the backing plate instead of letting the clutch press directly against the backing plate.

Last edited:
Back