Which AFC mod am l missing?

if you can find Weston on here aka Smokem. he has some really good stuff to do to the afc. there used to be or still is a pretty good write up out there in this forum about modifying the afc like grinding the foot or barrel. flipping or switching out the washer on the diaphram. for what i was doing i completely removed the plate and did a couple other things.

like the others above said get a set of 4gsk in there and the throttle response will open your eyes

Yeah Fabian is a great guy! l actually talked with him today about this stuff. He got me squared away...

Yeah real cool guy, talk to either kyle or eric too if your down there. kyle ran a p-pumped 24valve and eric has that p-pumped silver first gen with a shortbed. they both know their stuff about the p-pump.

if you can find Weston on here aka Smokem. he has some really good stuff to do to the afc. there used to be or still is a pretty good write up out there in this forum about modifying the afc like grinding the foot or barrel. flipping or switching out the washer on the diaphram. for what i was doing i completely removed the plate and did a couple other things.

like the others above said get a set of 4gsk in there and the throttle response will open your eyes

Thanks... yeah l have seen all the write ups. Smokem did have some great posts, but from what l understand has asked they be removed from the site. But l copied an pasted most of them to a "Dodge truck" file before they were deleted, so l have them just need to read them!

you mentioned a new plate, did you adjust height on governor arm to new plate? it will catch under plate and push over real fast at higher rpm, giving you a boost higher up and some lag down low...
just a humble vp guy with a knack to be annoying.
let us know what you find!

tighten your star wheel.when you dump too much fuel it drowns the turbo out.you want that thing to light fast.mine will throw stuff off the dash at you.also try putting your foot on the gas and brake and take off at about 5 pounds of boost.

you mentioned a new plate, did you adjust height on governor arm to new plate? it will catch under plate and push over real fast at higher rpm, giving you a boost higher up and some lag down low...
just a humble vp guy with a knack to be annoying.
let us know what you find!

you dont need it, if you know its absolutely catching adjust it. but if your truck is running good already dont mess with it, its probly where it should be.

I just did a search using AFC and my name and came up with 58 threads, if anyone thinks spinning the start wheel, sliding the plate or AFC forward is tuning they are LOST!

Jim

Hello diesel fans!!! This is my first time in this forum and I like the way it works. As for myself I had the same problem with the lag on the bottom end. I found a site that showed a to adjust the fuel lever that hits the fuel plate up to just below the first "hill" on the plate. It required pulling the back plate of the pump off, the one with the leaded wire. i will see if I still have that instruction paper in my shop this evening, if so i will post. It didn't take all the lag out but it DID help.

Just read up on what Jim and Weston have posted!

That's how I got the where I'm at...

So with this adjustment, can you see the governor arm from the back while adjusting the bottom screw?

With the TST plate l would want to adjust the arm to sit where l have the arrow correct?
leveradj2.jpg

Phill, if you go to the PDRperfomance site that Jim was speaking of it should give you great instructions.......I found that I had to go almost to the breaking piont of the "hill" to get what I wanted. It took a little tuning of the star wheel after that. I still have a little bit more black out the pipe at a stop than the other guy wants, but by the time he's seen it, it's too late........Keep in mind it's an easy adjustment, even if it takes a couple tunes. ....... I also took my plate out and rounded a little of the hill off to help the roll off.......But every truck is different.

Last edited:
So you can see the lever as you adjust it? The picture is not very clear so l am curious

sometimes feeling with a small skinny screwdriver with your third arm while you adjust it helps.. but you should be able to see approximate location.

The best afc mod is the one were you throw it on the bench next to the plate because you dont need it. Here is a secret that these gurus dont tell anybody. Pay attention here now, if it smokes a ton on take off, back off the go pedal alittle that way you have all the fuel you want and didnt waste hours tuneing just to find out later you should have did this from the beginning. LOL Tim

If you pull the top of the star wheel cover off as you did when you replaced the fuel plate, you can pull the throttle lever forward till the fuel lever to hit the plate.......see where it hits and adjust the screw till hits just below the "hill" of the fuel plate. You can see how it hits with a good flash light lookin through the top of the pump. It's still gonna smoke but it will force the turbo spool. . . . .If I remember right I think it takes a 10mm and a flat tip screw driver. Let me know how it works for you, it done me alot of good.

Keep in mind the hard pull you are feeling is when the torque converter is locked. It will always pull harder .If your auto is stock at least get a lower rpm stall and aftermarket valvebody. If this has been considered ..... Carry on then and sorry for the interruption.LOL

The best afc mod is the one were you throw it on the bench next to the plate because you dont need it. Here is a secret that these gurus dont tell anybody. Pay attention here now, if it smokes a ton on take off, back off the go pedal alittle that way you have all the fuel you want and didnt waste hours tuneing just to find out later you should have did this from the beginning. LOL Tim

some of them out there cant learn to control the right foot well enough to manage that:lolly:

hmm, interesting. yesterday i took my afc out and it was sitting next to the grinder and i began to think! :evil

I cut the back off the foot where it slides on the rod so it would travel farther back before hitting the afc case. I also ground the housing around the spring and star wheel so the washer could travel deeper into the housing(washers already flipped). tested foot travel with the shop air, threw the afc back together and took it for a test drive!

Thats about all i did on saturday, been trying to tune it from there. so far im really impressed on the difference it made. before i could clear up the smoke fairly quck, now its smokes like crazy at WOT.

All of this is permanent so dont do it unless your a crazy idiot like me :nail:

Removing the AFC would be an option, but it would have to be put on every year for the smog. If it smokes a lot it wouldnt pass smog.

That being said, could l pull it off in its current state, w/o touching anything, create a blockoff plate, then reinstall it when it came time for the smog?

Back