Billet Rods

What about Carrillo rods...? I just ordered a set..from them thru some sponsorship deal.. I'm excited...

Carrillo usually makes a very high quality product. When I was looking they were one I was considering. At that time the wait was to long...

Paul

Why are you looking for billet rods?

We are running 12V rods that are shot peened and polished and are alot cheaper than billet rods.

SoCal Diesel has both Crower and Carrillo rods in stock for the Cummins.

For some reason vp/12v rods are not holding up in 6.7 engines. I have bent 3 sets in them now and some of them at hp levels less then what a stock cr rod would hold. Only set that I had that held up good was a set we polished peened and cryoed, those have held up for a couple years until i spun a bearing in one so I replaced it with one we just polished due to time constraints and it bent right away.

I wont put another 12v rod in a 6.7 from now on I am tired of replacing them. I have used some Carrillos and really like them, alot lighter then stock rods and a really nice piece.

For some reason vp/12v rods are not holding up in 6.7 engines. I have bent 3 sets in them now and some of them at hp levels less then what a stock cr rod would hold. Only set that I had that held up good was a set we polished peened and cryoed, those have held up for a couple years until i spun a bearing in one so I replaced it with one we just polished due to time constraints and it bent right away.

I wont put another 12v rod in a 6.7 from now on I am tired of replacing them. I have used some Carrillos and really like them, alot lighter then stock rods and a really nice piece.

The more stroke you run the more cylinder psi you will have with no other changes....hence the bent rods.

Camshaft and piston combo's would help tremendously, but so would better tuning. (IE) TQ limiting.

The more stroke you run the more cylinder psi you will have with no other changes....hence the bent rods.

Camshaft and piston combo's would help tremendously, but so would better tuning. (IE) TQ limiting.

You mean like 1050hp/1200ftlbs of tq? man I wish I had thought of that. :nail:

I am running some 12v rods in my 6.7 daily driver at a little over 800hp with no issues, but I don't spray either. Bean, sounds like you are pushing yours quite a bit harder.

Zach

This engine will probably put out a fair bit more HP than that I hope

You mean like 1050hp/1200ftlbs of tq? man I wish I had thought of that. :nail:
1050/1200 is outstanding. And you still couldn't get 12V rods to hold up in the 6.7 with those numbers?

They were holding up till I replaced one that I had not cryoed or shot peened and it bent the rest are still good. Thats telling me its right on the edge of them being strong enough and I am really tired of stuf tearing up this year so from now on I will bite the bullet and go billet.

Wonder if it is the torque of the 6.7 in a CR that is the issue, if you shift the power up higher, curious if they would hold.

Bigger stroke = worse geometry (more piston speed, acceleration, etc.) and with parts that may be on the edge of their ability well....... bent rods. That and a bigger bore piston to transmit more compressive energy to the rod. Just an idea from a low hp interweb guy

There is a very important part here that i see being overlooked. Rod angle and cylinder psi.

the more stroke you put in a motor the worse the rod angle becomes, unless you address compression hight and change the piston design, like i mentioned a few post ago, rod will continue to be a failure point, billet or not, and yes i have seen billet one fail too, nothing is so strong it cant break...

5.9 VS 6.7 the 6.7 rod angle is far worse than the 5.9. , not to mention the added cylinder psi gained by the added stroke and the bigger bore.

There is a solution, but most wont search for it...or if they do, they'll go the wrong direction.

Back