24 valve hd springs

I have the tool, and I'll be doing the install tomorrow morning (Tuesday). If you got the springs from mark, have him get ahold of me with your address so I can send the tool straight to you.

Shane,
I may have to call you if I get in a bind. What part of the tool did you break?

The threaded rod that came with the tool sheared on me..
coolpic291.jpg

I replaced it with a longer bolt and it seemed to work alot better. I am not sure but I think mark but a grade 8 bold in there.. You can call me anytime..

208-539-3461

Shane

The threaded rod that came with the tool sheared on me..
coolpic291.jpg

I replaced it with a longer bolt and it seemed to work alot better. I am not sure but I think mark but a grade 8 bold in there.. You can call me anytime..

208-539-3461

Shane

Jlibert sent the tool to me before he got his installed. I'm about done with mine, been doing them after work yesterday for 2 hours & today for 2 more. I just gotta finish cylinder 6 & I'm done. I'm doing it in the morning. The tool is working great.

Almost forgot to ask. What is break in period of these Hamilton springs? I am planning on running the engine to operating temp, then recheck my valvelash & go for a ride at 4k.

Almost forgot to ask. What is break in period of these Hamilton springs? I am planning on running the engine to operating temp, then recheck my valvelash & go for a ride at 4k.

Yeah I donna know I drove my truck pretty easy the first couple of days and then let er rip after some heat cycles I gotta go back and do my re-torque and check the lash again...

Yeah I donna know I drove my truck pretty easy the first couple of days and then let er rip after some heat cycles I gotta go back and do my re-torque and check the lash again...

Thanks man, you've been alot of help. I got them done this morning, but never started it because I had to go to a party at noon. That #6 is a pain in the cracked buns. I had one heck of a time getting the keepers to stay put while I took the pressure off the compressor. A drop of oil on them helped, but still a pain. I'm gonna fire it up tomorrow night after work.

3 heat cycles to break in the springs, normal operating temp, let cool off completely, no driving for break in to do them properly.

Well, got it all ready to fire up & bad news. The barring tool won't come out of the bellhousing. I tried & pried, but it is stuck. My friend turned the engine over for me & I'm guessing he twisted the splines on the tool or something. That makes me sick, ready to fire & this happens. I got home late today & didn't have much time to fool with it, but I guess tomorrow is another day. Anyone else had this happen?

Well, got it all ready to fire up & bad news. The barring tool won't come out of the bellhousing. I tried & pried, but it is stuck. My friend turned the engine over for me & I'm guessing he twisted the splines on the tool or something. That makes me sick, ready to fire & this happens. I got home late today & didn't have much time to fool with it, but I guess tomorrow is another day. Anyone else had this happen?

Ouch, that sucks. I take it you've tried to relieve pressure on the tool by rotating the engine the opposite direction. Hopefully it didn't chew up the teeth too bad.

Ouch, that sucks. I take it you've tried to relieve pressure on the tool by rotating the engine the opposite direction. Hopefully it didn't chew up the teeth too bad.

I'm just gonna pay Mark for the tool if it is messed up, but I just don't understand how it got stuck? My friend has a barring tool of his own & uses it often. He didn't force it or anything, the engine turned over with ease. I've tried rotating the engine every which way & pulling the tool out, prying it out etc. Nothing has worked this far, but I had such a headache from work today, I gave up.

Mine sticks in the adapter quite often. Need two small flat head screw drivers and drive them in on other side of the barring tool flange. Once you get a small gap in there, get a bigger screw driver or some chisels. Should come out fairly easy once you get some chisels under it.

Try turning it the opposite direction..... It will normally pull right out when you do this.

Doug

Yeah If you take the backlash off if it you usually loosens up. But I have had one get stuck once. PITA

I did turn it both ways with no luck. I got it to the point where It is about 1 1/4" sticking out of the bellhousing & it just wont come any more. I tried pressing it back in with my finger & popping it with a large screwdriver. It still gets hung up on that same spot. I'm gonna fool with it today, but I'm kinda afraid of a tooth breaking or something & going into my bellhousing. Dunno?

hmmm that's crazy I went to start my truck and clunk, clunk... and I was freaking out til i realized i left the barring tool in there so i climbed under the truck and it pulled right out??

Keep trying it will come out...

hmmm that's crazy I went to start my truck and clunk, clunk... and I was freaking out til i realized i left the barring tool in there so i climbed under the truck and it pulled right out??

Keep trying it will come out...

I took the day off from work today [nice being my own boss] to catch up with the grasscutting & honey-do list. I decided that honey can wait till my truck starts.:hehe: Anyway, I went to the garage & the tool popped right out of the bellhousing with very little effort? It looks like it is fine too, no signs of twisted splines or anything? Well, atleast its out. I told Mark that I am just going to pay him for the tool & keep it to be sure. I don't want to take a chance on ----ing him over after he has been so great, loaning me the tools. Truck is running great & it is now cooling down after the first heat cycle. 2 more to go. Thanks again Mark!!!!

I took the day off from work today [nice being my own boss] to catch up with the grasscutting & honey-do list. I decided that honey can wait till my truck starts.:hehe: Anyway, I went to the garage & the tool popped right out of the bellhousing with very little effort? It looks like it is fine too, no signs of twisted splines or anything? Well, atleast its out. I told Mark that I am just going to pay him for the tool & keep it to be sure. I don't want to take a chance on ----ing him over after he has been so great, loaning me the tools. Truck is running great & it is now cooling down after the first heat cycle. 2 more to go. Thanks again Mark!!!!

Awesome! Jeez, betweeen you and shane, you've got Mark's tools all beat to hell. :hehe:

Awesome! Jeez, betweeen you and shane, you've got Mark's tools all beat to hell. :hehe:

:hehe::hehe: No way man! I am paying for it. I've already done 2 heat cycles today. Gonna do the 3rd one soon, then I'm driving her.

This thread has some pretty good info in it. I just read the whole 5 pages.

724 I'm ready for you to take it for a spin.

This thread has some pretty good info in it. I just read the whole 5 pages.

724 I'm ready for you to take it for a spin.

Oh, its been spun already....about a hour ago. I did 3 complete warmup/cooldown cycles this morning, took me all day. Then, for the 4th cycle, I ran the exhaust brake till operating temp. Then took the truck for a ride, but kept rpms below 3000. Everything sounds great, but I am going to put some miles on it before I pull on Friday.

Back