how to get rid of idle smoke?

So you think my seal is out????

idlesmoke.jpg

This is a combonation of low compression, HEAVY fuel and unbalanced injectors.......

Mine idles like that at 28* timing. At 22* it just hazes pretty good. That's with DDP Comp 250's @70 lpm. I would say the poster has injector issues.

So you think my seal is out????

idlesmoke.jpg

This is a combonation of low compression, HEAVY fuel and unbalanced injectors.......

Not necessarily... I was just offering up that suggestion considering the injectors he has should run pretty darn clean. I realize other things could be wrong and low compression makes for a smoke show with lots of fuel. I also see (from reading) that his injectors tested fine. But, that's not to say that something isn't wrong with them.

BTW what was your CR and how big were the injectors that you were running when you took that pic???

Im still stuck with it.. and the only suggestion my mechanic thinks is worthwhile is replacing the pump with a scheid one.
Im emailing the shop to see if theyd consider trying the governor springs anyway. My next two upgrades are water/meth and a remote ebrake. Pump wont be done for awhile yet unless it goes belly-up.

Ok I had the governor springs cranked down another click. Idle smoke when cold is cured, the rolling idle problem is improved a bit and the smoke when in drive at a light is still present.
I might go for another click in and see if I can fix the roll and add some timing.
Another side effect of the adjustment is a big improvement in low end power without a whole lot of smoke. Tuning the AFC before this didnt yield results as good so it has to be the gov adjustment.

Ugh I spoke too soon. Problems are all back. The improvement was either a fluke or the adjustment backed off.

Ok heres an update on the truck. I had mass diesel install a used 215 pump for me. Hes swapped over the GS3K, 100 plate, afc spring and kept the 181's in the 215.
When I fired it up I thought I had the wrong truck. roll and smoke are gone, but the real mystery is the motor sounds like a damned common rail now. It used to sound like I was running high timing, really really loud. Now its running 19 degrees and it purrs along quietly.
Anyone have any theories on this??

Other question is.. should I stick with the stock 181's on this pump or put my 191's back in it?
I cant WOT test the truck until the rain stops, and they say thats about another week off. =(

Back