What could cause this?

When Uncle Gale says "failure" he means "total engine failure!" :hehe:

How to prevent RAM Cummins 6.7L engine failure due to stock grid heater - YouTube

id have hit that with a grinder and pulled that piece out of that piston and thrown a new head gasket and studs and roll that bitch...

my dad dropped the accelerator pump ball out of a holley carb down the intake once and didnt know it..made the engine tick..finally we pulled the head and figured it out..picked the ball outo f the top of the piston...the head was shot peened lol...die grinder and roooollll baby

I wouldn’t even grind it personally haha it’s been flattened already and if not it would be after a couple strokes.

Anyone seen this on the commercial side? I find it interesting that with 15 years around fleets of commercial 6.7 engines, I've never encountered it.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

From what I understand, it’s only a Dodge/Ram issue. Supposedly it’s a problem with the relay sticking on causing the bolt to melt in two. We have almost 600 Cummins 6.7s in our fleet and have never had this happen, but it’s a totally different relay.

Not my pics, just examples.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8D905DE7-8FA7-4456-BE3D-DA1B7BEEE438.jpeg
    8D905DE7-8FA7-4456-BE3D-DA1B7BEEE438.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FAA29CD3-53CE-4384-B469-E8AA0D749951.jpeg
    FAA29CD3-53CE-4384-B469-E8AA0D749951.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'll be damned. Looks like about 100 bucks for one that lost the grid and bolt. Any specific vendor make a better plate than the other?

So….grid heater is gone has been for years. I inspected top end and all looks good. I disconnected one injector at a time to see if the knock goes away and nothing. Knock still there. Idle fuel rail pressure is 4k touching throttle lightly goes up to 7k. Back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

and all the valvetrain is functioning correctly..dont seem possible....reboot the truck.take the batts off for an hr and leave the key on while theyre out..doubtful tho...yer missing something,,,,,the knock and the shake didnt change at all when dropping inj off?

and all the valvetrain is functioning correctly..dont seem possible....reboot the truck.take the batts off for an hr and leave the key on while theyre out..doubtful tho...yer missing something,,,,,the knock and the shake didnt change at all when dropping inj off?

Valvetrain is good, lash is good, only change when disconnecting injectors was ran even rougher with each one.

Gonna pull all the injectors and camera down each hole to try and inspect piston and cylinders.

Well it's a good thing misery loves company. Found my cam with 17k on it was wiped out. Hope you figure it out man

Thanks for all the help guys. Found my issue. As you can see in the images from a note cam #4 drop a valve seat and hammered the shit out of the piston. Included clean cuclinder for reference. ?
8787b9ff6920829f931b4324501da767.jpg

9f217e34015e551643082aa6e28afe8a.jpg

Back