Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
jktcummins

Name: jktcummins
Title: 24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
Member`s Gallery
Detroit Locker

Has anyone used a detroit locker??? If so do you have issues with wheel hop??? I bought a rear end that had one in it. When you go to do a burnout the rearend hops real bad. Just wondering if its just because the locker????

Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
ctd8999

Name: ctd8999
Title: P-Pump chump
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktcummins
Has anyone used a detroit locker??? If so do you have issues with wheel hop??? I bought a rear end that had one in it. When you go to do a burnout the rearend hops real bad. Just wondering if its just because the locker????
The locker is not casing your wheel hop. You can clamp the front of your leaf springs together, this usually will stop the hop. Just my . Thanks Steve B.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Make some ladder bars, or clamp the springs.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
jktcummins

Member`s Gallery
Why didnt i have wheel hop with the stock 70

Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
IC-Smoke

Name: IC-Smoke
Title: Oh SNAP!
Member`s Gallery
I dont have any wheel hop but I have a set of traction bars on the truck BUT there is some locker chatter when breaking the tires loose going down the road but its not terrible. I woudlnt trade my Detroit for anything else!

youll get some looks on turns when the inner tire churps but thats ok

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #6
Smokin07

Name: Smokin07
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Why didnt i have wheel hop with the stock 70
If you had a limited slip unit in your D-70 the locker has found a suspension weakness. Lockers can be brutally unforgiving of suspension setup and drivetrain weakness.

Unlike a limited slip when under power a locker can not spin one wheel faster than the other (even if that tire is on ice). During a launch both wheels will hold until there is a loss of traction at which point both wheels will begin spinning at exactly the same moment. If there is enough flex or movement in the suspension system a massive unloading of torque (wheel hop) will occur.....

If clamping the spring pack together doesn't help you may have to go to a torque arm or ladder bar setup.
Prepare for broken driveline parts if you don't solve the problem!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
BigYellowIron

Name: BigYellowIron
Title: Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Have the same problem after i went to a detroit, Still trying to resolve it. Have clamped the springs, Have 2 bars on the bottom and two on the top. Dunno where else to go.

Adam

95 5 speed

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
stuckey_272002

Name: stuckey_272002
Title: no one special
Member`s Gallery
ive always run a detriot in my old chevys. but how do they act towing with this much torque?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
paulb

Name: paulb
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I've been running a Detroit Locker the last two years of racing, and I clamp the front of the springs. A couple of suggestions that may help...

1. Don't get the tires to wet. The locker needs to see enough of a torque difference between the two wheels for the locker to engage. Spinning on water won't do it.

2. Add the torque slowly, when first spinning the tires, and then once they start to spin get them up to speed quickly. By slowly, I mean don't just nail the throttle, but use the torque to get them to spin, not the normal gasser snap the throttle method. It should only take a couple of seconds before they start to spin.

3. Stiff shocks on the rear help reduce the wheel hop.

And as someone else mentioned, get rid of the wheel hop, because it will destroy parts.

I personally don't like ladder type bars for drag racing a 4x4 pickup. They stop axle rap, but do it at the expense of "lifting" the front end. It's easy to get wheel hop on the front when that happens.

Paul

Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
rs359

Name: rs359
Member`s Gallery
I have a locker in my truck and it does not hop I agree with Paul B when ever I have spun the tires I have always slowly applied the power until they start spinning then dropped the hammer on it. Rich
98 12v 3gsk,#6 plate ,370s,17deg,BHAF,5 inch exhaust,Suncoast trans, ATS converter,and others

94 Suburban 2wd 96 215 hp Cummins 47rh

89 D250 (PROJECT NOBUCKS) with 94 Cummins & intercooler stock for now

Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
jktcummins

Member`s Gallery
Thanks i gave that a try and darn if it worked. Spun both tires as smooth as glass for a darn long ways.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #12
paulb

Name: paulb
Member`s Gallery
Glad you got it worked out.

Closed Thread