p pump swap. Truck wont rev up and has no power

94adam89

Backwoods Dieselhead
Tonight I got the chance to finally fire up my truck. It starts and idles fine but dosnt rev very well.

To start off. It has the following.
-ported head w/ bigger valves and 110's
-hx52 pro charger with 19cm exhaust housing
-street cam
-7x15 east coast diesel injectors set at p pump pressures
-.093 lines and tubes
-magnaflow fuel pump, its carrying around 50psi
-ppump has, full cuts, ag holders, 5kgsk, 0 plate.

I set my timing at 20 degrees. I think??? Used a homemade gauge setup but it was very sturdy and I checked it over twice.

When we started it the first time it took right off with 3 lines cracked cranking for about 10 seconds. Tightened them up and started it back up and let it idle maybe 30 seconds.

After checking for leaks and double checking everything I started it up again.

It has very good throttle response but it wont rev up very well at all. Breaks up and can barely get it to free rev 3k rpms? On the road it falls on its face bad. Wont build much more than maybe 10psi boost.

Where should I start looking? My valves should be adjusted right. I went a little tight. .008 intake and .018 exhaust.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Adam

Set the timing right or haul it over and I'll set it for ya. I'm not far from roxbury.

Last edited:
Set the timing right or haul it over and I'll set it for ya. I'm not far from roxbury.

Let me see if I can get my hands on the rite gauge. Could it be that I'm not running enough timing?

And by the way I'm good friends with Matt Varner, Lee.

Tell matt to get a p-pump so he can be your twin. LOL

You guys heading down to Mason Dixon tonight?

Matt sold his truck yesterday. I was hoping to try mine out last nite and today but kinda ran out of time. But yeah we ere planning on it. I've never been to it before. Are you going?

Bumped up to 26 and now it's working well! I can't even keep my boots on long enough to even get a good hard pull out of the old girl now!

Back