Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesel Discuss the 6.2 and 6.5 GM Diesels here

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Macktruckdriver

Name: Macktruckdriver
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
24v glow plugs

OK my buddy has a 85 military blazer with a 6.2 so its 24v. hes not very mechanicly inclined so didnt know 12v glow plugs were a bad Idea. I had to pull the heads to pull them out after 2 monthes. I cant find any none of the local shops can find them or even understand what 24v even is. Does anyone have a part number or know where to get them.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
JD4440

Name: JD4440
Title: Stuck @ 508
Member`s Gallery
I'm not too versed in the older 24v trucks. There may be a possibility you'll have to convert it to 12v
508hp/1100tq, 12.26 @ 107.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentnell :
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Macktruckdriver

Name: Macktruckdriver
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
cant the whole truck is 24v and everything lights, trailer, accesories everything.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
JD4440

Name: JD4440
Title: Stuck @ 508
Member`s Gallery
hmmmmm
508hp/1100tq, 12.26 @ 107.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentnell :
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
RobDuval

Name: RobDuval
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
There are a handfull of companies that carry them not sure if any of our sponsers do but i know i have gotten them from my local napa befor. Check SSDiesel or Heath Diesel i believe they carry the 24v glow plugs too.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
You could wire two 12v glowplugs in series if nothing else works

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 05-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
If its a true 24v military Blazer, the only things that are 24v are the starter and glow plugs. Everything else is run off a 24 to 12v resistor pack. Therefore, you could easily convert it or you could just change the glow plug system to a 12v system.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
01cumminsfreak

Name: 01cumminsfreak
Member`s Gallery
you can also go to ur closest military base or fms/oms shop and ask them for a part number or maybe they have some layin around that you can trade them

Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
TheFAJA55

Name: TheFAJA55
Title: Pfft...
Member`s Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDuval View Post
There are a handfull of companies that carry them not sure if any of our sponsers do but i know i have gotten them from my local napa befor. Check SSDiesel or Heath Diesel i believe they carry the 24v glow plugs too.
You could try Diesel Rx as well?? they make glowplugs for all applications

Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
chief1983

Name: chief1983
Member`s Gallery

I know this is a bit old, but there's almost no correct information in this entire thread, and since it came up on google search results I registered just to clear some things up for any other CUCV owners out there who get confused and run across this.

The glow plugs are 12v. Seriously, 12v plugs.

The glow plug _system_ is 24v. The resistor bank mentioned is _only_ for stepping down the 24v supplied to the glow plug system 12v, so the plugs get the right voltage across them. If the resistor bank shorts out, you just double the voltage going to the plugs. That's probably how you'd overvolt the plugs, not by simply installing 12v ones. You're supposed to do that. You can read the TM to troubleshoot the entire glow plug system step by step.

Besides the starter, the only other 24v things in the truck are all military things like a possible military radio. The bus on the right next to the back seat is 24v, and the bus under the hood behind the back battery is 24v. Nothing much runs off these though, certainly not the civilian parts in the car. Those are all regular old 12v. Every 12v device in the car besides the glow plugs are powered only by the front battery, so it's under a heavier load most of the time than the rear one, which really only gets used for starting. Rotating batteries therefore is recommended.

Follow the wiring, there is a run from the front battery positive terminal that runs to another bus on the driver's side of the firewall, it's smaller than the big 24v buses but runs power to most of the civilian items in the vehicle. The ground for both 24v and 12v items is the chassis, since the batteries are in series. The rear battery, passenger side alternator has an isolated ground that returns only to the negative of the rear battery.

So, you can use the Wellman 070 plugs, but make sure you get the right spade connector, CUCVs and other 6.2 applications have had different glow plug connectors. You can convert the entire system to 12v, but then the military TM manuals no longer apply and you're on your own for support. If it is still wired stock, read the TMs! No need to go to a base for part numbers, etc, they're all in the manuals.

Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Sorry bout using that little image at the start of the post too, but I'm new to this forum and it just fit so darn well. I'm gonna go back to working on my CUCV now.

Closed Thread