Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
New 47re in limp mode

I have 15 miles on this thing, brand new heat exchanger and front cooler, new electronics in the Trans. The tranny was running perfect except for the check ball cooler line was leaking and the batteries would not charge. So I changed the cooler line and tried diagnosing the electrical issues which involved some jumper wires off the back of the alternator . I popped the 120 amp alternator fuse at one point.

Anyhow I got the leak fixed and I narrowed the no charge issue down to the pcm. I took the truck for a test drive and and I could tell right away it was in limp mode. 2nd or 3rd gear starts and no overdrive.

I did the key trick where you turn it on and off a few times to retrieve stored codes. It showed an open circuit to the gov solenoid and the tranny oil temp sensor and a bad battery connection, and battery unhooked recently.

Is there any way to reset the tranny from limp mode without a scan tool ?

Last edited by SCHMITTY; 01-30-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Damn auto correct

Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Junk97

Name: Junk97
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Check the transmission relay under the hood see it it has power on the fused side if not check all fuses

Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
I did last night. The pcm threw it into limp mode when I was screwing with the alternator. I made a jumper and the tranny worked. Now I'm going to finish wiring up the external regulator and drive it to an auto parts store and clear the code and see if I can remove the jumper wire.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
blackcloudCTD95

Name: blackcloudCTD95
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Not to derail this thread mines doing something similar. If I'm in od and I start slowing down for a red light I get down to 25ish mph and get back into it its still in 3rd gear and I have to drop it down to 2nd on the column. And if I'm cruising 35-38 mph it will up shift and down shift out of 3rd to 4th gear
No trans codes. Has a new gov press sol and sensor and OSS sensor

The TV cable is new and I've adjusted every witch way from Sunday is this a valve body problem

Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Did you test the Trans relay for 12 volts like 97 junk said ? Do you have a lock up switch? If not put a jumper like the 47re lock up switch jumper wire in place of the Trans relay under the hood like the directions show. I did the key cycle trouble code test and it showed the 37 code and that will put the Tranny in limp mode. This truck had charging issues before I rebuilt the Tranny, then I made matters worse hooking up jumper wire incorrectly. Now I have an external regulator I'm going to drive it orillies and see if I can clear the codes and put the relay back in

Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
I do have the jumper wire in place of where the trans relay goes for the tc lock up switch.I haven't checked to see how many volts the koeo it has.

I did have batter cable problems on the drivers side positive terminal I fixed that but nothing really changed the alternator is newish I've already replaced that

Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
blackcloudCTD95

Member`s Gallery
Would a bad tp sensor cause this issue?

Old 02-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Junk97

Member`s Gallery
It's hard to do this without a scan tool. If ur having charging issues you could be having pcm issues. If you had a scan tool look at gov pressure sitting still should be 0 make sure the temp sensor isn't reading some stupid temp and make sure you are getting an accurate reading from ur speed sensor. You can pull the main tranny connector make sure you have the key on 12 volts, then your 5 volt reference voltages.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
Junk97

Member`s Gallery
If you find ou the pcodes I might be able to help I more

Closed Thread