Exterior Care (WARNING: Partial rant)

jimbo486

To begin, I apologize for how long this turned out to be but I'm in need of a professional's advice.

I've grown quite frustrated during the past 2 weeks regarding a recent trip to a dealer to install a rear lip spoiler on my '13 Passat. Forgive me if I begin to rant too much. I wouldn't be here asking for advice on how to make the following corrections if I didn't have the bad luck I've had with anybody else who has touched my car.

It all started with a rear lip spoiler install at the dealer I bought my car from. I'll try to be as brief as possible. I receive notice that the spoiler is in and going to the body shop for paint. I was notified a couple of days later it was back from the body shop. I made an appointment to have it installed a few days later. I requested that I be with the tech when it is installed so I can ensure that it is centered to my satisfaction. I end up helping the tech install the spoiler. I've never done it before, he has a few times. I worked the passenger side, he worked the driver side. Upon closer inspection after arriving home. I find the driver side is completely incorrect. I was quite impressed with how well the passenger side turned out though! I blame myself for not inspecting it very well the first time.

I call the service manager and explain to him what I found. He tells me to bring the car back anytime and they will correct it. Ok, fine. I drove back the following morning. During said drive, I was hit by some road debris on the rear passenger door. What it was, I don't know but I was left to find 3 small chips in the paint which looks like color is missing also. Not happy about that. Back to the spoiler... I let the service manager peel it off so that if any damage occurred, repairs were on him. With my (good) luck, it peeled up just fine. All that was left was to remove the silicone that had been applied to the back-side of the spoiler. The service manager said that they had a solvent that would take care of it. RED FLAG.

I stopped him mid-sentence. I said solvent and paint DO NOT mix! I do not want solvent touching this car. He assured me that this "cleaner" was the best they have and that no damage would be done to the paint. Fine, do it. The service manager and I both install the spoiler this time. Perfect now!

A couple of days later, I'm getting into my truck to leave for work. My truck is parked behind the car. I remove the window cover and, with the sun reflecting just right, immediately see a swirled glaze across the entire trunk lid below the spoiler. I get out to inspect it closer. Sure enough, the clear coat looks hazed and there a quite a few good swirls in it to boot. I didn't give much thought to the "haze" and figured the cleaner/solvent left a film which would come off with a good wash. Nope. I call the general manager, my friend, at the dealer and let him know how irritated and disappointed I am. He offers to bend over backwards to fix it and that he has the best guys in his shop to do so but I've given up trusting them to touch my car anymore. Their work has said enough. They apparently are the best guys in THAT dealer only. Not to mention, the 30 mile drive each way to this dealer. The courtesy service was the only good service I received. Granted, they didn't touch any part of the paint or exterior then.

So, here I am, left with swirls and a hazed clear coat below the spoiler and 3 small chips in the passenger door that I intend to attempt to fix myself or hope to find a "professional" detailer with the same attention to detail and care that I have to buff out the haze and swirls. I've already been burned by one mobile detailer who was recommended by a good friend of mine who is a detailer but moved to the east coast. His recommended detailer scratched the tint on my windshield and denied he did it. Not smart to wear any jewelry (or a watch in this case) while detailing a client's vehicle!

As for the chips, I'm at a loss. I don't know if I can truly trust a touch-up system or if I should find a reputable body shop to repaint the door and hope it blends well. I've seen Dr. Color Chip mentioned here on the forums as well as found an ad in an import magazine for Automotive Touch-up. They both have good reviews/testimonials regarding their products.

Also, I purchased and used a water spot remover from a detail supply distributor and applied it just as I was told. Only under the driver side mirror where water dripped out of the mirror housing onto the door. "Rinse the car, spray the diluted water spot remover on the area with spots, wash it off with soap as if washing the car and rinse again." Walking around the car drying excess water from windows and other areas after washing, I notice some of the chrome trim around the windows looks to be oxidized or the clear coat on them peeled away in areas. I call and speak with the owner of the company who sold me the product and gave me the instructions, telling him I'm not happy, I want this corrected even if it means him buying new trim for me to replace. He assures me he'll correct it and if not, he'll find a solution. He asks me to bring the car to his shop and he'll make the corrections. He shows me a metal polish, called Wenol, that he has that should "do the trick." He worked a small area on the driver side front door just in front of the side mirror. It took some of it out. He said, "I'll give you the tube for free, all you need to do is just work over it a couple of times to polish it." I ask him for advice for correcting the haze and swirls on the trunk lid. He said the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish I have should work just fine with either the yellow foam applicator pads or a DA polisher. Well, the metal polish doesn't seem to be working for me, removing these spots on the trim. In fact, it still appears to me that the clear coat on them has peeled away and there is no kind of polish that can correct that. The only fix in my mind is to re-spray the clear over them.

Again, please forgive me for the rant and for how long this turned out to be. I am almost irritated enough to take the car back and start over by ordering a new one with a spoiler installed at the factory, where I know it'll be done right. Although, I know this can be corrected and I can be happy again. I want to install a clear bra on this car but want to have it completely polished and swirl free beforehand. Can anybody offer some professional advice on repairs/fixes for the aforementioned problems? Thanks for listening.

Sounds to me like you are a bit to much of a perfectionist and won't trust anyone to do it right no matter how highly recommended they come.

Back