Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
TruckYou

Name: TruckYou
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Cam Centerline

Hey guys, I'm building a 12v on my engine stand, currently trying to degree my cam shaft, which I had never done prior to this. Have watched Hamilton's video a dozen times, and read many write ups. Using Hamilton's 207/220, which uses a 99-101 centerline. Mind you, at this point I have degreed this cam prob 20x now, and all numbers are consistent Everytime, and checking TDC after each try. With OEM cam gear and key, on the OEM timing marks, centerline came out to 95.5* (consistent). I bumped the gear one tooth, and came out to 90.5*( went the wrong direction). Went back to stock timing marks, +1 tooth, and now my centerline (expecting it to be at 100.5* considering each tooth of the cam gear should equal about 5 degrees) is coming out to 110.5*, consistently, several times now.

At this point, I'm thinking a 5* offset key, in the factory timing marks position should put me right where I need to be, but before doing so would like to make sure there isn't another issue at hand causing timing to jump 15* on one tooth instead of 5*.

Any input is appreciatedScreenshot_20180531-072000.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Old 05-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I'm curious about the fact that you have the dial on the valve end of the rocker arm. I checked mine with no rocker arm installed and the dial seated in the pushrod

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Last edited by biggy238; 05-31-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
The dial indicator is on the valve spring retainer, as all instruction state. I began this whole process, with the tappet cover removed and a dial indicator directly on the tappet, only because I was still p&p my cylinder head. After consistently reading a 110.5* centerline, with the dial on the tappet, I started trying different configurations... But all consistently repeated.

For tdc, I set up the dial on the piston crown, found max piston travel, rotated to .010 before/after max, marking the degree wheel, and splitting the difference for true TDC. For centerline I rotated CW to .010 before/after max lift of #1 intake lobe, mark the wheel (123* and 98*), add them together (=221) and divide by 2 (=110.5).

What could actually cause such a large spike, only on this one tooth of the gear?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
How are you finding TDC ? Hamilton cams being off that much is not common .. agree with prior post remove rocker arm and put dail in push rod

Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
Has your crank gear slipped any , prior build high hp with a crank gear not welded

Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
I would use the other end of the rocker or take the rocker off and use the push rod. There is a degree of inconsistency using the valves as there are tolerances and moving parts to take into account. If I'm building an engine I always degree before putting the head on so you can get absolute TDC off the Piston and use a short rod into the lifter. Also not all key ways are cut in the right spot.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
The cylinder head was only put on just try a different method of measuring the lift. I used a rod in the tappet to begin with but found that the rotating of the tappet as the cam turns, was moving the rod around enough to cause inconsistent measurements.

I don't believe this to be a issue with the cam, but possibly a issue with the gear, as the timing was exactly where I suspected it would be l, on the stock timing mark. A friend running the exact same cam, in his 12v, received similar measurement at stock timing, and bumped his gear one tooth also. By rights, mine should be almost perfect , bumped one tooth, as stock timing mark was 95.5*

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich dzl View Post
Has your crank gear slipped any , prior build high hp with a crank gear not welded
I don't not believe so, this engine was totally stock prior to the build. And as I said, the timing is exactly where we suspected it to be, until I bumped it to this one tooth. I've got back to stock timing marks multiple times now, and all readings are still consistent

Old 05-31-2018, 07:57 PM   #9
EricStaab

Name: EricStaab
Title: Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Cam gear is a 10 crank degree jump per tooth. Count how many teeth. 360/number of teeth x 2 is the number is will move. Should be 10 crank degree. You should go off the pushrod not the rocker arm. His numbers are probably using .050 of lift. Here is our instructions. http://nolimitmfg.com/performance-pr...ng-a-camshaft/
Facebook: Nolimitmfg
Phone:715-384-4422

Old 06-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #10
TruckYou

Member`s Gallery
All set. Got on the phone with Hamilton and figured it out.

Hamilton Cams - How To Check Cam Clearances - YouTube

Dial is not on the rocker btw, is on retainer. Got home from work and used the pushrod, and received the exact same #.

All set, centerline set at 100* now. Good to go

Last edited by TruckYou; 06-01-2018 at 03:29 AM.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
So then what was the issue?

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Closed Thread