Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #18481
ktllc15
 
ktllc15's Avatar

Name: ktllc15
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Status: Not Here
Join Date: May 2018
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 77
Gotcha, never really looked at the t600 or t660 I drove for awhile. 600 ended up on it's side in a ditch in Nebraska after I got hit head on by a Pete with a bull rack that fell asleep. climbed up and down the rear suspension of that one twice so I could go through the drivers window to grab stuff out of the truck but didn't look at how it was set up.

How do you like the air disks? Last year when I did king pins my axle failed the go gauge due to it being a little egged out. Shimmed it up tight to get by figuring I'd replace it next time around. Just scene I can get a complete disk axle from vanderhaags in Sioux falls for $750. And rear cut off with disks in the 2-3k range. I've been seriously considering switching mine over. Haven't heard anything bad about disks so far and from what I've heard they make dot inspections a breeze.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #18482
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
Could put a car hauler front axle under it too. I don't know too much about the kw 8 bag, I've driven two but never payed much attention. Can you move the mounts up like the early Pete low air? If you can just lower the back equalish to the front with a taller 5th wheel and set up an over inflate valve to get in and out of parking lots where your tanks will hit.
I wondered about a car hauler axle also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #18483
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
It could already have it. A lot of KW’s have 5” drop axles and have blocks and long shackles to raise it back up. Lots of T660’s do this and I’m not sure why. Mine has the 5” drop which is 3” wider. Plus the disk brake hubs I added are another 1” wider so I can almost turn and check my own tail lights.

I bet at 318” he’s not going to have any issues with the rear. I had ordered a Horst kit with the AG springs for my steering but after waiting for at least 3+ months I said screw it. Apparently making a few brackets is too difficult for house of air. Could chew them out with a hand file in that length of time.
What is the difference in length between the long shackles and the short shackles?
What are the chances of an 03 having the 5” drop axle?
I’m not looking to go crazy lowering it, just don’t like how the W900’s tend to be SO tall in the front.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #18484
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
What is the difference in length between the long shackles and the short shackles?

What are the chances of an 03 having the 5” drop axle?

I’m not looking to go crazy lowering it, just don’t like how the W900’s tend to be SO tall in the front.
Here are the long ones. The short are easily 2+ inches shorter. That’s a 5”drop in the pic. Click the image to open in full size.

Call a KW dealer with the VIN and they can tell you what axle it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktllc15 View Post
Gotcha, never really looked at the t600 or t660 I drove for awhile. 600 ended up on it's side in a ditch in Nebraska after I got hit head on by a Pete with a bull rack that fell asleep. climbed up and down the rear suspension of that one twice so I could go through the drivers window to grab stuff out of the truck but didn't look at how it was set up.

How do you like the air disks? Last year when I did king pins my axle failed the go gauge due to it being a little egged out. Shimmed it up tight to get by figuring I'd replace it next time around. Just scene I can get a complete disk axle from vanderhaags in Sioux falls for $750. And rear cut off with disks in the 2-3k range. I've been seriously considering switching mine over. Haven't heard anything bad about disks so far and from what I've heard they make dot inspections a breeze.

Love them. Have had several in the shop with 400k+ on original pads. Nothing to adjust, nothing to grease. I got a front axle and a 2016 cutoff for $3200. Cutoff was junk, 2.64 Kevin Rutherford gears in Meritor axles. Front axle tube was bent and big hole in the power divider. Stole the brakes/hubs off of them, Sold the 5th wheel off of it for $1000 and the rest of the suspension for $1500. Sold my old hubs for $600 so I almost got them all for free.

Scale house told me that they have never put a truck out of service with air disk. The only inspection is to look in the caliper. If they can’t see the backing plate your good to go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #18485
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,999
The only problem I've seen with the bendix disks we have were drivers not releasing the parking brakes driving through them. That and a recall for the caliper mounting bolts being under torqued.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 5.4L Auto
-Janus
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #18486
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Anyone that buys a Prostar/Lonestar or any IH product needs their face set on fire and put out with an ice pick.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

And add to the fact Cummins felt the need to make you remove the damper to pull the head.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #18487
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 855
Why you have to pul the damper? Ive never needed to in order to get the head off
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #18488
JWhite
 
JWhite's Avatar

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: F Burg Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,212
I'd guess someone didn't realize the bottom 2 holes are slotted on the cover
__________________
GMC with a LiLLY
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #18489
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhite View Post
I'd guess someone didn't realize the bottom 2 holes are slotted on the cover


Not all are slotted. It’s as random as the scissor gear.

The real question should be why do I have to pull the cam to pull the head.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.

Last edited by jfaulkner; 10-27-2018 at 03:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #18490
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Why you have to pul the damper? Ive never needed to in order to get the head off


And you actually like these junk mf’ers. Head is higher than giraffe nuts and crack more than plaster. I think the IH Cummins motto is “we thrive on bad design”
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #18491
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Not my first choice but a 389 with an MX has 16” between the firewall and the head. Other than the idiotic rear geartrain. Which one would you rather work on?Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.


Local shop has a Mack with Leiffi’s amazing Volvo engine with the state of the art rear gears. Nut came off idler gear and destroyed the air compressor gear. If this was a normal engine it wouldn’t be a big deal. But with rear gear the transmission had to come out and you get to work under the truck.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #18492
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Not my first choice but a 389 with an MX has 16” between the firewall and the head. Other than the idiotic rear geartrain. Which one would you rather work on?Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.



Local shop has a Mack with Leiffi’s amazing Volvo engine with the state of the art rear gears. Nut came off idler gear and destroyed the air compressor gear. If this was a normal engine it wouldn’t be a big deal. But with rear gear the transmission had to come out and you get to work under the truck.
Space isnt an isdue on the stand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180120_182611.jpg (161.1 KB, 0 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #18493
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Wrench View Post
Space isnt an isdue on the stand
It isn’t in a cabover either, doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #18494
JWhite
 
JWhite's Avatar

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: F Burg Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
Not all are slotted. It’s as random as the scissor gear.

The real question should be why do I have to pull the cam to pull the head.
Unless Cummins switched suppliers for the cover, I've never had one that wasn't. Also never had one that didn't have the scissor gear. (Sohc like the one you have pictured)
__________________
GMC with a LiLLY
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #18495
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post


Local shop has a Mack with Leiffi’s amazing Volvo engine with the state of the art rear gears. Nut came off idler gear and destroyed the air compressor gear. If this was a normal engine it wouldn’t be a big deal. But with rear gear the transmission had to come out and you get to work under the truck.
Just remember that according to Leiffi, that wonderful rear gear train motor would be in a stupidly short cabover. That means after you get the trans out of the way you could sit on the 5th wheel while you work on it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #18496
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,999
It's funny I had just told you about doing the cam on a 6.0 without completely removing the cab and now this conversation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 5.4L Auto
-Janus
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #18497
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
It's funny I had just told you about doing the cam on a 6.0 without completely removing the cab and now this conversation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


Buddy did an 871 without pulling the radiator but said it wasn’t worth it. Slid the cams forward and got the back bolts, then slid them back to get the front.

The covers on the common rails are slotted but the last 2 we did the nuts needed the impact. Had some the studs break off or spin in the cover. Again it’s idiotic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #18498
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
It's funny I had just told you about doing the cam on a 6.0 without completely removing the cab and now this conversation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Right??!!
I’ve got a 6.4 in here today with a fuel leak on top of the K16. I’ve managed to get to the top of the pump within pulling the turbos, or the cab, but man what a job. I’d like to burn this thing about now....
Anybody that thinks a 6.0 is awful hasn’t owned, or worked on a 6.4.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #18499
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,999
FWIW, the ISX I did in August had no slots, scissor gear, and the dampener was friction welded in place. It is ridiculous to have to pull the cooling pack to remove the head.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 5.4L Auto
-Janus
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #18500
jfaulkner
 
jfaulkner's Avatar

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
FWIW, the ISX I did in August had no slots, scissor gear, and the dampener was friction welded in place. It is ridiculous to have to pull the cooling pack to remove the head.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


If my only job was to design and build engines and this was the best I could come up with I would quit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessRRA View Post
Flipping your mirrors up when you don't tow? That serves no purpose other than to let me know that you are a douche, from a distance.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com