Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > EFI Live Tuning Discussion (Cummins)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
Ridemywideglide

Name: Ridemywideglide
Title: Diesel NON-Pro
Member`s Gallery
EFI Live still viable???

Finally moving on from the 12v, and picked myself up a 2008 mega. It's not delivered yet, but in pics I can see that the EGR delete has been done, unknown about the exhaust as of yet. Guessing it must have some tune on it already as there were no CEL lights.

Looking into the efi live, and I'd like to go this route, but also read a bunch about EPA clamping down on tuners, and not being able to get deleted tunes any longer. Wondering how difficult it's going to be, or if it's still worth it to drop the money on it...
1996 2500 CTD, Ext Cab SLT 4x4, 5 spd, 3:55's, 285/75/16's, Ultralite EGT, Boost & Fuel Pressure guages. Moded AFC, 191 DV's, Marine Cam, 5x012's, HX35, BHAF.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #2
Archnemesis

Name: Archnemesis
Title: Blackmega 2.0
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridemywideglide View Post
Finally moving on from the 12v, and picked myself up a 2008 mega. It's not delivered yet, but in pics I can see that the EGR delete has been done, unknown about the exhaust as of yet. Guessing it must have some tune on it already as there were no CEL lights.

Looking into the efi live, and I'd like to go this route, but also read a bunch about EPA clamping down on tuners, and not being able to get deleted tunes any longer. Wondering how difficult it's going to be, or if it's still worth it to drop the money on it...
Won't be getting many response on this topic here.

EPA "Clamped" down on diesels, drag strips, and many other gonfast goodies.

Old 06-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #3
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I wouldn't be afraid to go with EFILive. Though if you call a big name shop on the phone and say you want a delete tune, you will hear the same response from each shop.

If you do not want to tackle the tuning yourself, talk to folks in your area, someone is tuning. I've found two guys local to me for tuning by word of mouth. One guy does gas (known nationally), the other does diesel. You just have to find them.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:47 AM   #4
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Congrats on the new ride.
I understand your excitement, and imagination on future modification. But...

I'd just wait. Drive it around & get to know it. Maybe you'll be happy with it as is. Going from a 12v to a 6.7, even if the 12 valve is moderately cranked, that 6.7 will be a world away from what you've been accustomed to.
I mean, why buy new tits for a woman on the first date ?

Old 06-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #5
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
🤣🤣🤣 today's winning post is an early one!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 06-08-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
If it already has an EGR delete, good chance it also has already been deleted and has an exhaust kit on it already.
Fingers crossed, that would save you alot of trouble.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd just wait. Drive it around & get to know it. Maybe you'll be happy with it as is. Going from a 12v to a 6.7, even if the 12 valve is moderately cranked, that 6.7 will be a world away from what you've been accustomed to.
Jeff, you never cease to amaze me, Sir.

I can't say "see if you like it first" though as I deleted my 6.7 the week after I bought it.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post

I can't say "see if you like it first"
Well, you can about the titties on the first date though, try 'em before you buy 'em! You just might surprise yourself 🤣

Itty Bitty Titties - YouTube

Old 06-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Wow. I haven't listened to that DAC song in decades.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #10
Ridemywideglide

Name: Ridemywideglide
Title: Diesel NON-Pro
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Congrats on the new ride.
I understand your excitement, and imagination on future modification. But...

I have driven a few in my search, and yes, it's a vast power improvement. I'm not so much looking for race tunes, as I am a bit more economy. My 12v gets 22mpg all day long on my commute, and I'd like to keep some of that, as well as get some trans tuning to help it live longer. Your analogy is spot-on tho. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
🤣🤣🤣 today's winning post is an early one!

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
If it already has an EGR delete, good chance it also has already been deleted and has an exhaust kit on it already.
Fingers crossed, that would save you alot of trouble.
I'm hoping this is the case. The carfax shows some service work done about 50k miles back that included "replace exhaust system" so that could go either way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
I wouldn't be afraid to go with EFILive. Though if you call a big name shop on the phone and say you want a delete tune, you will hear the same response from each shop.

If you do not want to tackle the tuning yourself, talk to folks in your area, someone is tuning. I've found two guys local to me for tuning by word of mouth. One guy does gas (known nationally), the other does diesel. You just have to find them.
This is what I was looking for, just a confirmation that I wasn't tossing $1200 out the window.
The V8 so far seems pretty similar to the race tuner software I use on my Harley, just with tons more options. I've searched up a few places to download tunes to play with, but would rather pay-to-play at this point. Not too many diesel shops local, but a few hundred miles away is not bad.
1996 2500 CTD, Ext Cab SLT 4x4, 5 spd, 3:55's, 285/75/16's, Ultralite EGT, Boost & Fuel Pressure guages. Moded AFC, 191 DV's, Marine Cam, 5x012's, HX35, BHAF.

Closed Thread