Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
Flatbedcowboy

Name: Flatbedcowboy
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
HE315cw on DT466

So I found a used HE315 for dirt cheap and thought I would take a stab at it. I've seen most recommend an HX40 for a DT466 but the HE351 seems to be all the rage right now.
Eventually I want to go compounds, because I don't think there is a single turbo that'll give me the drivability as a daily and then the top end towing heavy. Ill do the same as the dodge guys with a s475 I think.

Currently I have the timing turned to 23*, turned the governor down, turned the fuel all the way up, and advanced the fuel timing (all found on youtube)

Eventually I want to put 12mm plungers in the pump and DT530 injectors, but that'll be down the road quite a ways.

I do know that its T3 so Ill need an adaptor.

A few questions:

For the solenoid I just need a plug, I don't need the boost elbow because I can't adjust the boost parameters like the guys with computers can, correct?

For right now running as a single, I can just put the solenoid plug in and run it, that should hold me to around 38-40psi? I don't need to do anything else? I don't need a spring style wastegate yet, or should I throw one on anyways?

Do I still need to port the wastegate hole to 1"?

I think the he351 has a 9mm turbine housing, should that be upgrades to like a 12-14mm? Do they even make that?
Turbo lab has a kit to make it a 67mm exducer but doesnt say what size housing it is, should I just get their turbine housing and wheel and call it a day? Would I still need to go compounds?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
The solenoid default is closed, so as long as you don't plug anything up to it it will be ok to leave it. You can buy the plug if you want, just not necessary unless you have a fitment issue.

I would suggest reaming the hole out, much better flow and you'd have to pull the turbo later to do it. The beauty of the 351 is the combination of the small housing with the internal WG. The small housing works because of the WG and if you open it up it is that much better.

I have a spring gate on mine and it works fine. Mine maxes out right at 35psi.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #3
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I'm not a turbo guru but I sure feel like a 351 is way too tight for a 466.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2022, 12:27 AM   #4
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
I'm not a turbo guru but I sure feel like a 351 is way too tight for a 466.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Yea I’m a little concerned about that, specially as a single but with compounds shouldn’t it light in a second?
The factory turbo the DT466 is a T04B I think which is a 50 or 54mm compressor Maybe?? Online I found they are 0.6ar compressor and 1.15 turbine.

The he351 is a 60/60/9 the hx40 is a 60/85/16. But everyone says the he351 will take you farther than a hx40 will. That’s why I was thinking of upgrading to the 60/67/?? From turbolab.

The 9mm exhaust housing is what is killing me.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:36 AM   #5
Cowboys4Christ

Name: Cowboys4Christ
Title: Boost is energy held back
Member`s Gallery
What are wanting to make for hp? What RPMs are you shooting for? I personally would not run a he351 on a 7.3L (unless I was bone stock but it's still to tight for the rpm range of a 7.3) let alone a DT466. And I for sure would not use a t3 foot turbo. That's a lot of cubic inch to be trying to use that small of a foot and turbo.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
No idea on the rpm range, I’m doing a swap and haven’t driven a Dt466 with the transmission I’m using to to know what the ranges are.
I’m trying for 350horses I believe my motor came as a 180 horse unit.

I believe the he351 is capable of over 400 horses by itself on a 5.9l. The 6.7l came with the variable version which would be more horses and is 0.6 liters smaller than a 7.3l.

I am worried about it being T3. Maybe another option I see is maybe like an s300 turbo with a 80mm exducer and a .9 or 1 ar housing. Really lag is a big concern for me.

I just got the he351 for $200 and it’s in great shape and sure beats spending $1000 on one.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #7
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The DT466 RPM range is below 3500. I agree with the HE351 not being the proper turbo for your application. By the time you neck your manifold down too T3, all you'll accomplish is higher exhaust temps.
An S300 part#179079 is the direct fit turbo for the 466/466E. You can find brand new B/W chargers with many wheel options for well under 1000.00

That being said. Borg is having the same issue as everyone else keeping/putting parts on the shelf.

Last edited by Snedge; 02-15-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Old 02-15-2022, 12:03 PM   #8
J-Pipes

Name: J-Pipes
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
If you can weld up your own adapter, it might be worth trying, just set the wastegate loose. Or if you decide against it, I'm sure you could resell the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 02-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Pipes View Post
If you can weld up your own adapter, it might be worth trying, just set the wastegate loose. Or if you decide against it, I'm sure you could resell the turbo.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yea I might have jumped the gun, just thought going compounds it really wouldn't matter if it was T3 or T4.

When I'm done with my '48, I'm doing this swap on, I'm going to Cummins swap my F350, so it'll get used.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #10
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Joe at Scheilds recommended a S300 60/76 0.91AR then a S475 for compounds. So I guess I need to find one of those. I think their price will be hard to beat though.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #11
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedcowboy View Post
Joe at Scheilds recommended a S300 60/76 0.91AR then a S475 for compounds. So I guess I need to find one of those. I think their price will be hard to beat though.
Even if their price is higher than you find elsewhere, I hope you'd consider some value in the advice/recommendation.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
Flatbedcowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
Even if their price is higher than you find elsewhere, I hope you'd consider some value in the advice/recommendation.
For sure! Just gotta come up with the cash to get that and the injectors they recommended.

Closed Thread