turbo/turbos for 12v tow rig, suggestions

Vincejax

I picked up a clean 1999 3500 sport for a good deal. Nice running and driving truck with a cracked 53 block. I have a rebuilt 12v that I was planning to use on another project but I decided to swap it into this truck. I am looking for suggestions for single or compound turbo setups. I am shooting for about 450rwhp with very little smoke and good driving characteristics. I will be daily driving empty and towing 5-12k on a pretty regular basis. It would be nice to use the hx35 from the 99 if I go compounds. I am considering an exhaust brake which is one reason the single turbo setup would be easier.
Truck and engine:
auto trans
4:10 rear
18:1 pistons with 0.006" off pistons and deck
stock cam
oring head with port and polish
head studs
ppump with 4k gov springs, 5x14 sac injectors, afc mods

Thanks in advance

Might not be a solid 450hp but wouldn’t a he351 be dang close and really slick for what you’re doing? Gotta be more simple and cheaper than compounds haha.

I was at 408hp on firepunks dyno with my vp truck, with a HE351CW. I don't think there's much left of the table as far as usable power goes. Overall it does great, even towing, but if you get careless or aren't paying attention, egts can still climb over 13-1400. I also wonder if something with a bigger exhaust side wouldn't be beneficial with the 4.10 gears, as I've only got 3.55s, so my setup isn't turning the same rpms either.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I did a he351 and a sxe69mm combo and it worked perfect on my 2002. Spooled nice and ran very clean with excellent manners pulling.

Put a 4k spring kit in the pump, run an s475 with the 35 frame on the manifold. Perfect.

He351 or hx35 over pretty much anything will work well. I loved my 78mm primary, spooled quick, and made awesome power up top. The 4202 I replaced it with is good too. Not so much top end but it spools even quicker. Fast enough to make me really hate 4.10's. I'm gone to a 3.42.

He351 or hx35 over pretty much anything will work well. I loved my 78mm primary, spooled quick, and made awesome power up top. The 4202 I replaced it with is good too. Not so much top end but it spools even quicker. Fast enough to make me really hate 4.10's. I'm gone to a 3.42.

What trans? I don't think you want 3.42 tbh

What trans? I don't think you want 3.42 tbh

47re. I had 3.55's stock, those were great. I went to 4.10's after I went to a bigger single. Then when I went to compounds I hated the 4.10's, especially towing. Also, cruising at 2400rpm just isn't comfortable for me. I think I'll like the extra load from the 3.42's, and I'll definitely like the lower cruising rpm lol. It's mostly a fun street truck now and doesn't tow much these days.

I don't have a problem with the 4.10 gear, keep some stress out of the trans. I have actually been thinking about swapping from 3.55 to 4.10 on my racetruck..If I dont like driving around with the 4.10 that swap will probably happen. No doubt the higher gear ratio is more fun to drive around empty, but I have no need to drive over 100mph in a dually... I want to be able to merge with a trailer quickly, pass on highway, etc. Should be golden with the 4.10's and 4k gov springs. Plan to run 20-22* static timing.

I've got a twin turbo 12v in my F450. Turbos are SXE 257 T4 .83 housing over a box 475/96 1.32. Turbos come on at about 1250rpm and will make well over 30psi by 1500rpm. Highly recommend a S2/S4 combo!

I like this idea the best so far...

Me too. :Cheer:
Nothing against my compadres here.
There are a million different ways to apply compounds, but this direction allows you to remain in a spot in which you can still back up if need be.

Back