Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Diesel Conversions
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Powerplant swaps, Repowers, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
PSD0389

Name: PSD0389
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Dodge PCM wiring question

Ok I just got one or two issues Im still trying to work out with my wiring for the dodge PCM, Im only using the PCM to control the 47re. I have all the wiring diagrams in front of me. Here is what Im still trying to figure out.

I have just the Dodge AT circuit diagram and it has a CKP sens sig input going into the PCM. Now I assume this is crank position signal, but the thing is this is an 01 engine so it has a cam sensor. I trace it back to the ECM and it has the CKP sensor running from the PCM into the ECM. Then in the ECM there is also a CMP sig input that goes to the connector for the VP. Then there is the CMP Sens sig that runs from the cam position sensor into the ECM.

So what Im thinking is the ECM converts the cam signal into a crank signal just so they wouldnt have had to change the PCM up when they switched from a cam to crank sensor. Would this be correct? So what Im wondering is does the crank signal control lockup then? And how would I go about getting a crank signal considering I ditched the dodge ECM since I p pumped the engine. Would I be able to use the tach signal pickup from the destroked tach kit and be able to get an acceptable signal to the PCM?

Or does anyone have a scope freeze frame picture of the dodge signal and destroked tach signal to verify?

Sorry for the essay I just want this transmission to work correctly when I first fire it up

Thanks

03 King Ranch F350 p-pump 24v/Firepunk 47re

86 F-150 build underway becoming an F-350 with P pumped 12v/ZF-5

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
PSD0389

Member`s Gallery
bump

Old 04-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
rs359

Name: rs359
Member`s Gallery
Since no one has offered up the info you need I will try.
If I were faced with the same problem I would go about it differently so this may be something that you can use or not.
I am going on assumption that this is a Ppumped 01 and you are using an 01 computer. If all you want is to control the 47re would it not be simpler to use a computer for a 94 to 97 that only controls the trans? I think all you would need to hook up would be tps, crank & speed sensor to keep the computer happy. You have the Ppump on the truck already so the early tps would go right on it and the crank sensor can be fitted since it has the early timing cover. Its not looking for the Cummins computer so that could be removed and sold (for big bucks) to offset your costs. I dont have a lot of information to know how far along you are with the wiring or if the 01 computer will work with reduced inputs. This is just an alternative solution that may or may not help. Rich
98 12v 3gsk,#6 plate ,370s,17deg,BHAF,5 inch exhaust,Suncoast trans, ATS converter,and others

94 Suburban 2wd 96 215 hp Cummins 47rh

89 D250 (PROJECT NOBUCKS) with 94 Cummins & intercooler stock for now

Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
BigPapa

Name: BigPapa
Title: Truckless
Member`s Gallery
Matt,

Just my

I put a 12V in a 24V '98 with the 47RE. Basically the same as a Fummins conversion. I am running the 24V ECM and PCM with 24V sensors including a 24V crank sensor adapted to a Destroked kit on the HB. I found the ECM and PCM did not like the signal from the Destroked sensor so I adapted the 24V sensor to the Destroked bracket. Also running the 24V APPS.

All that to say this, my opinion is you will have to run the ECM and the PCM to control the trans properly.

Mine works perfectly with one exception that I can't figure out how to fix. The first 1-2 shift after startup will only happen after road speed gets to @ 20mph and it's a HARD shift if you stay in it. Also, the alternator won't charge until this happens. I typically take off, run up to @ 20mph and let off like it's a manual, it will shift, and then I can get back into it. After this first shift it works perfectly until you shut it off and start it up again.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Common sense is like deodorant. The people that need it most never use it.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
PSD0389

Member`s Gallery
I appreciate the input guys

I did compare wiring diagrams between a 97 PCM for a 47re and 01 PCM and there are very minimal differences. Really the only one is that there is a pin in connector one for coolant temp on the 97 instead of getting the signal from the ECM like on an 01. Also instead of crank signal on an 01 it takes engine speed signal on the 97 which I would assume is gonna be the same. Also on the 97 it takes VSS from a sensor in the T case instead of the ABS module.

So Im thinking that if I can figure out how to get the correct VHS and crank signal I should be good to go, but as of right now Im not sure how to do that. I really need to get my hands on scope readings for a dodge and ford VSS as well as crank signal scope readings.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
Reference voltage is different from the '97 to the '01, also.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
PSD0389

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
Reference voltage is different from the '97 to the '01, also.
All my diagrams show they both use 5v reference. Im surprised that they would change reference voltage from 97 to 01

Last edited by PSD0389; 04-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
BigPapa

Member`s Gallery
You are correct Matt.

My bad. RV on my '95 was 8V. Assumed the '97 would be the same. WRONG.

2003 Avalanche Z71

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
PSD0389

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapa View Post
You are correct Matt.

My bad. RV on my '95 was 8V. Assumed the '97 would be the same. WRONG.
ah alright, I was confused there for a minute

Closed Thread