6.4L Cummins Build Complete and awesome.

So everything is ready to go then. Fire it up yet? How does it drive? Spools good? LOL

No I haven’t. Have all the parts to put the trans back together, just waiting on the case to come back from powder coat and then hopefully going to Get some junk planetaries on the lathe this Saturday to figure out what and how much we are going to have to Machine them for Torrington bearings to rollerized the geartrain. We still have snow on the ground so hopefully get the trans assembled in a couple weeks and then have it in the truck and running in a month or so once the weather and salt is off the roads.

So everything is ready to go then. Fire it up yet? How does it drive? Spools good? LOL

Not sure if your meaning the whole setup or not. If you read the thread from the beginning I explain and answer most of your questions. I put almost 5k miles on the engine and previous transmission setup last fall before it was put away for winter.

3a1eb9533cb998b2969fd21299ab8848.jpg

bca4e4be6ef146b1332872e1d4a7f860.jpg

7c3b93487559415e57f5d7543f1d935a.jpg

efda5c0fcb1e35963b77c5767de412ea.jpg

(Images do not represent everything getting machined down for the Torrington bearings)

I’ve never used a lathe before so me and my buddy (24vppump59) played around for an hour or so on setting up the different planetaries. Not really sure how old or when the lathe was used last so I just wanted to see if the lathe would work, could do it, and how we’d set it up. I think it’s going to work out pretty slick which we will find out Saturday. I will try to take as much photo, video, and measurements to share our results. We are going to setup and Machine one or two junk gear-trains first to practice, then do my good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if your meaning the whole setup or not. If you read the thread from the beginning I explain and answer most of your questions. I put almost 5k miles on the engine and previous transmission setup last fall before it was put away for winter.

Sarcasm, pretty good build so far though!

Would definitely try to go through a couple speed reference books for the steel 6 pinion when you get there, bit angle looks kinda funky? Awesome that you get to learn first hand good luck!!

Your just using the same torington out of the od housing?

Would definitely try to go through a couple speed reference books for the steel 6 pinion when you get there, bit angle looks kinda funky? Awesome that you get to learn first hand good luck!!

Your just using the same torington out of the od housing?

I have to pick up better bits today. The one I was using was dull as hell and all I had to work with at the time. Kinda limited with the lathe but we should be able to make it work.
I am not using the same bearing out of the OD housing. We measured it and it wasn’t going to work due to thickness and I believe it has a larger O.D. But I’d have to re-measure.

The Torrington bearing I am using is a torque converter bearing and is as follows.
Brand: Tri Component Products
Industry Part ID: SW-2-11, GM-N-11 (Sonnax), RTX10014
Outer Dia: 3.38"
Inner Dia: 2.5"
Thickness: 0.15"
Bearing type: Enclosed
Material: Hardened Steel
Perfect for all applications including Heavy-Duty.
They are $5.99 a piece on eBay.

Last edited:
3a1eb9533cb998b2969fd21299ab8848.jpg

bca4e4be6ef146b1332872e1d4a7f860.jpg

7c3b93487559415e57f5d7543f1d935a.jpg

efda5c0fcb1e35963b77c5767de412ea.jpg

(Images do not represent everything getting machined down for the Torrington bearings)

I’ve never used a lathe before so me and my buddy (24vppump59) played around for an hour or so on setting up the different planetaries. Not really sure how old or when the lathe was used last so I just wanted to see if the lathe would work, could do it, and how we’d set it up. I think it’s going to work out pretty slick which we will find out Saturday. I will try to take as much photo, video, and measurements to share our results. We are going to setup and Machine one or two junk gear-trains first to practice, then do my good one.

Once you get into those hardened steel pins, those HSS bits for sure won’t cut it. Make sure at a bare minimum to get some brazed carbide bits. Even with those you will have to keep SFM way down because of the hardness and interruption.

Once you get into those hardened steel pins, those HSS bits for sure won’t cut it. Make sure at a bare minimum to get some brazed carbide bits. Even with those you will have to keep SFM way down because of the hardness and interruption.

Tungsten carbide any good?

Well after much debate I decided to not rollerize my geartrain just yet. Since the trans comes out every year (sometimes more) I decided to just run Teflon Coates thrust bearings and then get the truck back going since the weather is getting nicer. I still plan on machining a set of planetaries for Torrington bearings to try later on. Just want my truck back on the road.

Was able to finally get my manifold and turbo back on. As well as my 5.9 fuel system off and install my 6.7 dual feed rail setup. Have to run all new feed and return lines for the fleece distribution block, go down to Exergy to have them make me a feed line from my top Cp3 to the rail pressure relocation block, and tig weld my BOV flange on the horn yet.
987af0b7ba5738872f7c5f818621cd86.jpg
46d9c96a4256cb7d852ea94ff178acb7.jpg
7e2f18316198bb7cb36d4a334c252e88.jpg
ce2fb972e3fc8a5eef0b5ce1a70a324c.jpg

Last edited:
Did you polish that rail and lines yourself ? Looks awesome ��

Yeah I’ve been getting better at it the more I do it. The rail and lines were a pain because they were off a 2014 QSB industrial motor so they had a heavy coat of red paint on everything lol.

Last edited:
No my buddy that builds my transmission likes pulling it to make sure all is good every year. Or if something doesn’t seem right.

Lol. I'm just joshing ya. I pull mine 1-2 times a year because it's an expensive POS.

I'm in the middle of my 6.4 build right now. Bought a buffer last week to polish up some stuff. Never considered polishing the rail and lines... But I am now ! Looks good man.

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_175321989.jpg
    IMG_20180318_175321989.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 0
Back