5KGSK... lopey idle

Had my 5K in for about 3 weeks now. Truck runs great but now it lopes some at idle, especially in gear with the brake on. Not that im complaining, it sounds pretty sweet:D , just wondering if this was characteristic of the 5K kit?

It all depends on if it was doing it before! Did you go from stock to 5K's or from 3 or 4Ks.

A sloppy idle like that (if everthing has been tuned to death) is most likely a worn Governor! I have one, and I can tune it to the point of it idling ok in gear, but with no A/C on or vise versa, but can't get it to ever smooth out under 900 RPM's........yea I know, time for a rebuild....but it runs so good!

Jim

Got a question for some of your pump guru's...how do you make sure the springs are balanced (both tightened the same)?? It is really hard to count the clicks, and I can't seem to get the "lopey" idle to go away. It almost misses. I've been anywhere from 2-18 clicks.

Got any pointers?
Thanks
Chris

And sorry for the threadjack:D

inline6359 said:
i use a micrometer and measure the depth. mine are set at something like 2.19 & 2.21 mm of depth.
Is that measured through the top or through the side? In other words, how did you get the micrometer to fit inside the pump with enough clearance to measure it?

Must be throught the side, had to play with mine throught the top to get the idle right. could bearly get the screwdriver in their, got it to idle at 650ish and no lope.

Install and measure through the side, make small corrections a click at a time through the top.......this seems to be the best.

Jim

joefarmer said:
Is that measured through the top or through the side? In other words, how did you get the micrometer to fit inside the pump with enough clearance to measure it?

thie first time i did the install it was through the top, i used a digital micrometer that had a rod on the skinny end. The second time i did it it was through the side (much easier), except for the fact i had to make a new key for the fuel shutoff selinoid.:doh:

Back