Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Tony R

Name: Tony R
Title: New Build is For Sale.
Member`s Gallery
Issue’s with 4K governor springs

I got a call from buddy the other night who attempted to put some 4K springs in his sons truck. He said he was having issues with the truck not wanting to idle and if you put it in gear, even holding the rpms up to 1500 it would stall. I told him a couple things to try like adding a couple clicks and adjusting the idle screw, but none of it helped. So I run over to look at it and realized that he took the large idle spring out. I said there’s your problem. So I put the idle springs back in and tightened them one soft click and three hard clicks and left. He had to go to work so I left he said he would put it the rest of the way back together. He calls me the next day and says the problem is still there. I go run over and I tried adjusting them every way I could think of. Nothing made a difference. I came home and researched for the problem and found a lot of people were having the same trouble with the pac brake spring kit. I told him to pull them out and put the stock ones back in. He calls me today and he says it’s still doing the same thing even with the stock springs. I’m at a lose here. I have installed about ten sets of these spring kits and never had a ounce of trouble. Nothing looks bent. He said there wasn’t no shims in it. I noticed there was shims under the large idle spring, is all I found. I doubt think he actually took the measurement like the directions said, so I can’t go back on that. I hate working on stuff after somebody has messed with it. I’m just trying to help a ok pulling buddy out. Sorry so long maybe somebody has seen this before.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
95cummins5.9

Name: 95cummins5.9
Title: Old man ***** gossiper
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
I got a call from buddy the other night who attempted to put some 4K springs in his sons truck. He said he was having issues with the truck not wanting to idle and if you put it in gear, even holding the rpms up to 1500 it would stall. I told him a couple things to try like adding a couple clicks and adjusting the idle screw, but none of it helped. So I run over to look at it and realized that he took the large idle spring out. I said there’s your problem. So I put the idle springs back in and tightened them one soft click and three hard clicks and left. He had to go to work so I left he said he would put it the rest of the way back together. He calls me the next day and says the problem is still there. I go run over and I tried adjusting them every way I could think of. Nothing made a difference. I came home and researched for the problem and found a lot of people were having the same trouble with the pac brake spring kit. I told him to pull them out and put the stock ones back in. He calls me today and he says it’s still doing the same thing even with the stock springs. I’m at a lose here. I have installed about ten sets of these spring kits and never had a ounce of trouble. Nothing looks bent. He said there wasn’t no shims in it. I noticed there was shims under the large idle spring, is all I found. I doubt think he actually took the measurement like the directions said, so I can’t go back on that. I hate working on stuff after somebody has messed with it. I’m just trying to help a ok pulling buddy out. Sorry so long maybe somebody has seen this before.
Possibly lost the large shim, its probably flying around in the governor housing right now. If that's the case pull it out before it hangs good

Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #3
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
The large shim around .030 is on the idle spring and is in there.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
95cummins5.9

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The large shim around .030 is on the idle spring and is in there.
Good deal. I've had good luck with the bosch 4ks from pdd.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
What I can’t figure out, is why it’s not running right with the stock springs back in. They put a fass system on it and did the springs. I’m seriously scratching my head here. I always had good luck with the ones from piers diesel years ago. I think they was Bosch springs. I hear there pac brake brand now. I could get my piers 4K springs to turn more then cds 5ks back in the day.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
95cummins5.9

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What I can’t figure out, is why it’s not running right with the stock springs back in. They put a fass system on it and did the springs. I’m seriously scratching my head here. I always had good luck with the ones from piers diesel years ago. I think they was Bosch springs. I hear there pac brake brand now. I could get my piers 4K springs to turn more then cds 5ks back in the day.
You measure protrusions on the studs?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
I didn’t, but i wasn’t the guy who took it apart. When I was trying to get the 4ks to work I tried them anywhere from .040 -.060 with no change.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #8
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
PAC brake springs suck .. peak diesel uses the old pdr design I have installed over 200 sets not one issue .. PAC brakes aren't the same

Old 04-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Don't take this as an insult, but you know there's two sets of gov springs right? 180deg apart.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #10
K204DR

Name: K204DR
Title: I'm the Driver
Member`s Gallery
peak, pdr, pacbrake, all the same now. pdr sold their design to pacbrake. been on the phone with them a few times trying to get it all ironed out, thats what he told me.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #11
Tony R

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Don't take this as an insult, but you know there's two sets of gov springs right? 180deg apart.
No offense taken but yes I do realize there is two sets of springs. As I mentioned earlier I have done several sets of these before. I didn't start the process of installing these. Just got called in after it was screwed up.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #12
Nascar

Name: Nascar
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K204DR View Post
peak, pdr, pacbrake, all the same now. pdr sold their design to pacbrake. been on the phone with them a few times trying to get it all ironed out, thats what he told me.
Not true. You got some bad info there.

2009 Touareg TDI
Diesel Performance Parts - Dieseltuff

Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #13
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I've used a lot of Pac spring kits and they worked fine. I'm sure there's some bad ones out there, I've removed hundreds of kits over the years from cores and some are certainly better than others. It sounds to me like something is hanging up in the governor. Possibly from dropped shim or otherwise. If it's not that, possibly a sticky plunger. Is the engine running smooth otherwise? The governor is functioning normally on a free rev?

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #14
K204DR

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar View Post
Not true. You got some bad info there.
I've ordered from peak and pdr, both sent me pacbrake springs, so I called, and thats what I was told straight from the owners mouth.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
Nascar

Name: Nascar
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by K204DR View Post
I've ordered from peak and pdr, both sent me pacbrake springs, so I called, and thats what I was told straight from the owners mouth.
I was referring to you saying PDR sold their design to Pacbrake. Not true. I used to run PDR at the time Pacbrake came out with their own GSK. Sure they copied the design, but no $ was paid to PDR & Pacbrake didn’t ever use Bosch springs. Same deal with Peak Diesel....”Harry" & I used to work together for years at PDR. Peak knows the Bosch spring #’s too & bought machined bases the same way we at PDR did. What Harry is putting together now, I can’t tell you. What PDR is doing I can but won’t.
So, not everyone is just a keyboard expert & spread bad info.

2009 Touareg TDI
Diesel Performance Parts - Dieseltuff

Old 04-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #16
K204DR

Member`s Gallery
the **** I got was straight from pdr, and it was pacbrake. its all still in the package and a I can show you the invoice. I called and was told they have pacbrake making their spring kits now, and that they had sold them their design. I also have a bosch set from power driven diesel, and they are definitely two different setups, springs, bases, everything.
Maybe they fed me a story on the design stuff, but they are for sure selling pacbrake **** now.

Closed Thread