Torque Specs

Infantry87

Anyone know the torque specs for converter to flexplate and flexplate to crankshaft. Every spec I’ve seen are for 5.9s and it seems as if nobody really has a set in stone answer for the 4th gen specs. It’s a 68rfe. Also are you guys using red loctite or blue? The grade 8 converter bolts I have say to use red loctite but just wondering if blue would get the job done. Any knowledge would be appreciated

As far as torque goes, the 5.9 and 6.7 are the same. That's as listed in the Cummins manual. I use red loctite, but I would guess blue will do the job.

Does 100 and 35 sound about right? How hard is it getting off the red? The only problem I see is using a torch to heat up the bolts and end up warping something other than the bolts trying to get them off in the future when I get a built tranny.
As far as torque goes, the 5.9 and 6.7 are the same. That's as listed in the Cummins manual. I use red loctite, but I would guess blue will do the job.

The bolts can be removed easily with the Red loctite. I use Red on anything that calls for the blue, it's not that much different.

I bet I pulled my conv bolts out 5 or 6 times when I was going thru trans problems on my drag truck, no big deal.

But conv bolts backing out down the road is a big deal and happens, go Red.

Does 100 and 35 sound about right? How hard is it getting off the red? The only problem I see is using a torch to heat up the bolts and end up warping something other than the bolts trying to get them off in the future when I get a built tranny.

I used pneumatic 1/2” impacts to remove torque converter bolts. Never used a torch.

Edit: Normally use 3/8 pneumatic.

Edit 2: I’ve never used blue. I use red on the small cars too.

Last edited:
Back