Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Import Diesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Import Diesel VW TDI, Mercedes, and other Import Diesel Discussion can be found here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #21
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
I was able to get some routine maintenance done recently. Oil & filter change, transmission fluid/filter/pan service, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, power stop pads at all corners, had all the rotors turned, and put some nitto NT555 G2's on the rear.

I'm really impressed with the amount of insulation on this car. Even the first half of the exhaust pipe is insulated. Ridiculously quiet...

No metal to speak of in the transmission pan, however the fluid was pretty dark. BMW calls it a lifetime fluid however ZF doesn't agree. Consensus is about a 50k mile change should be mandatory. With the new fluid and a reset of all the transmission adaptions, I could tell a very noticeable change for the better with shift quality. Much more quick and firm shifts.

Next up will be the new intercooler and boost pipe...

EATSOOT.com

Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Intercooler and boost pipe got installed. DPF was removed yesterday, ported out the primary turbo wastegate, installed the new stainless downpipe, and shipped off the ECM for some tuning. Tonight I am gutting the SCR and removing the DEF tank/pump/wiring mess... Then it's time to delete the EGR and finish replacing all the vacuum lines. Later this week plans are to install a new breather tank for the crankcase to keep oil out of the intake and install a secondary fuel filter/water separator. Hope to have it all done and back on the road this weekend.

EATSOOT.com

Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #23
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That should be an awesome ET Bracket racer! Run the ODSS series and if you can cut a good light you could pocket some cash!!!

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #24
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
Any updates? I started the buyback process this evening, starting to look a bit for the next victim.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #25
TheBac

Name: TheBac
Title: UPS guy
Member`s Gallery
Damn, thats a nice car.

2017 Buick Regal 2.0T -- the DD

Old 04-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #26
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Most of the aftermarket parts came from European Tuning by Malone and JR AutoTuning. I went with the JR stage 2.8 tune. This past weekend I got all the vacuum lines replaced (very brittle) as well as two vacuum solenoids that are used for wastegate control (had to remove when replacing lines anyway). I also reflashed the transmission with a stage 3 file from xHP. Man does it transform the car. Alters shift speed, firmness, shift points, torque converter control etc. Very impressed with it!

Just need to finish up the methanol injection kit and then I'm done messing with it for a while.

Makes about 38 psi boost vs factory 25ish. This thing is a riot to drive!

EATSOOT.com

Old 04-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #27
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
Most of the aftermarket parts came from European Tuning by Malone and JR AutoTuning. I went with the JR stage 2.8 tune. This past weekend I got all the vacuum lines replaced (very brittle) as well as two vacuum solenoids that are used for wastegate control (had to remove when replacing lines anyway). I also reflashed the transmission with a stage 3 file from xHP. Man does it transform the car. Alters shift speed, firmness, shift points, torque converter control etc. Very impressed with it!

Just need to finish up the methanol injection kit and then I'm done messing with it for a while.

Makes about 38 psi boost vs factory 25ish. This thing is a riot to drive!
Videos!

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #28
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
I'll get some next weekend, going out of town for the week for work.

EATSOOT.com

Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #29
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I didn't realize there was so much aftermarket for these. Now I kinda want one.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #30
DDually

Name: DDually
Title: Still spooling..
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I didn't realize there was so much aftermarket for these. Now I kinda want one.
It's fair. Tuners and exhaust are a vast majority of the aftermarket of these things. I'd love to see them start building the engine and trans and making some real power with them. Still a dream car of mine, I'm just scared of them still maintenance and failure wise.

2001 VW TDI South bend, tune, nozzys, custom stuff that's rusting, one custom thing that's not rusting

Old 04-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDually View Post
It's fair. Tuners and exhaust are a vast majority of the aftermarket of these things. I'd love to see them start building the engine and trans and making some real power with them. Still a dream car of mine, I'm just scared of them still maintenance and failure wise.
They've come a long ways. My buddy has a stock trans/long block '14 335 gasser, 71mm charger, e85 with second set of port injectors and puts down 660hp at the wheels. He's been driving it like that for a good year and a half now with not so much as a bent rod.
I think a lot of the new stuff is getting really high safety margins, which makes them more fun for guys like us. I bet he'll be fine cranking this thing up a bit more.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
This is all with factory head bolts, stock fuel pump and injectors... rail pressure boxes are available as well as bigger turbos.

EATSOOT.com

Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #33
TheBac

Member`s Gallery
Anything new to report?
Just curious, since BMWs can be very expensive to repair, but what issues should a person look for/be aware of on these cars? I guess they have a troubling issue with EGR/carbon from what Ive read. Im tempted to start looking for one of these instead of a diesel Cruze.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #34
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
I have yet to finish up the meth kit install but have tried a few 1/4 mile runs using the torque app. Launching is a bit challenging as it is either total wheel spin with traction control disabled or the computer pulls power back once it detects wheel spin with it on. I'm still trying to figure it all out as there are 3 levels of traction and stability control settings. Need to find the right balance of rpm and tire pressure to get the launch down...

Regardless, 1/4 mile trap speed was about 108 with two of us in the car (and a horrible launch) which puts it at about 362hp to the wheels. This setup should be good for about 390 to the wheels. Meth kit should be about another 40-50hp based on others dyno sheets. Currently at 5.4 sec 0-60, should be in the 4 sec range.

Next up is the meth kit and a rail pressure box.

As far as things to look for:
-trans is a lifetime fluid deal (yea right). Try to find one that has had a fluid change done at some point.
-EGR and crankcase vent style create a soot buildup in the intake and on the runners and valves (just like on the VW ALH engines). Try to find one with documented evidence of a cleaning recently or be prepared to clean it yourself. You can buy a walnut shell cleaning kit that uses your shop vac and an air compressor for about $250 with all the right fittings (takes about 8 hours of labor to do it I'm told).
-Vacuum lines get hard and dryrotted over time, mine where about shot at 90k. I also replaced the two vacuum solenoids that control wastegate functions just because they are known to go bad about 100k.
-boost hose between turbo and intercooler is a known poor design that leaks (upgraded replacements available)
-Delete everything that you can to eliminate a bunch of potential costly problems down the road
-some have reported the balancer rubber getting dry rotted at about 100k but haven't seen it as a major issue

EATSOOT.com

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Holy cow, I can't believe how cheap these things are. 2011's, under 30,000 miles, and under $25k. I feel like this is a pretty undiscovered second hand market.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #36
TheBac

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the information, GT. Appreciate you taking the time.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #37
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
If anyone is interested, there is a blue one at Land Rover of San Antonio that could likely be had for about 15 or 16k, they have had it for a while from my research. Only has 50k on it, but no nav.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 05-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #38
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Jesse, I sure am glad you decided to work on one of these.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #39
TheHammer

Name: TheHammer
Title: broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
And people have logged some reasonable miles on the trans while hotrodding at those levels?
the way mine is tuned i cant disable traction control, and its as "trans safe" as i can get, if i hammer on it down low and it remotely wants to rip the tires loose, silly thing just defuels. these cars get out of their own weight pretty easily, good bit of fun to drive, gets mid to upper 30mpg driving aggressively and can easily embarrass a z06 or viper... i put my nephews car seat in the back of mine when i lined up with my buddies 01 rt10

Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #40
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Car pics:

Click the image to open in full size.

Torqbyte methanol injection controller installed next to ECM. I ran the USB cable into the glove box for making changes to the configuration.

EATSOOT.com

Closed Thread