12v or 24v head??

bigjoe92992

I current have a 24v cummins with A buildt bottom end, 13mm Ppump big injectors, cam and s480. but my 24v head is stock becide 110 springs. I've done a lot of reading and I've mostly seen most big time pull trucks are 12v so I was thinking about converting to a 12v.

So what I'm wondering is, is it worth porting and Polishing and spending money on a 24v head or am I just better off just converting to a 12v head?

The question is it worth changing pistons on your "built bottom end" to use the 12v head?
I say spend the money on the 24v head. There are plenty of good running 24v headed pulling trucks.

I'd say 24v head. I thought the only reason the big time sled puller guys used the 12v heads was because of less moving parts. I know a stock 12v head will flow a lot less than a stock 24 head, and a port/polish big valve 12v head still shouldnt flow as much as a port/polish big valve 24v head.

There are the cool custom cast 12v heads, but personally, I would stick with the 24v.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may very well be, but it seems like there are plenty of really big time pullers running 24 valve heads and top-feed injectors, Ohio CAT comes to mind.

In order to run big cams with a 24v head you have to spend a lot of money in the valve train(head girdle) to stop the parts from breaking. 12v much easier in the long run

I talked to someone at Schied and he told me I won't have to change my pistons bc they can make me a custom injector. Also the thing About a 12v head everything is so much cheaper so I'm in the middle and not sure what to do. Might just keep the 24v head for budget reason. But then I think maybe in the long run a 12v head would be best

What do you mean by head girdle? Say I was to keep my 24v head. What would I need to do to run a big cam and to prevent it from breaking

I'd also like to know about a head girdle Jeremy. Never heard of one before. Scheid never told me about one when they did my engine

I'd also like to know about a head girdle Jeremy. Never heard of one before. Scheid never told me about one when they did my engine

Your cam doesn't require one. Its needed to run a cam over .550 lift. Haisley has them on their site. Iirc they are $5k

Via Curt Haisley there 2.6 motors making the most hp on the dyno (1200+) are 4 valve motors.
H
They only recommend running those motors however if that's what you already have. Take that for what it's worth.

I feel that a 12v head is more proven, but then again I'm a racer not a puller, 12vs are the fastest drag trucks hands down, in the pulling world it may be different but Scheid told me that they like to only build 12vs for there all out performers

What do you mean by head girdle? Say I was to keep my 24v head. What would I need to do to run a big cam and to prevent it from breaking

The reason for them is to keep rockers/bridges intact. When you get enough lift/rpm/spring pressure it really increases the load on the rocker assys. Even with high ratio rockers.

just wanna say thanks for all this info its helping so much

CUMINS01- if you dont mind me asking what kind of head work do you have done to your head

I feel that a 12v head is more proven, but then again I'm a racer not a puller, 12vs are the fastest drag trucks hands down, in the pulling world it may be different but Scheid told me that they like to only build 12vs for there all out performers

Drag racers don't have a book of rules to follow so finding hp isn't as hard. for example You could make up the difference between a 12v and 24v hp with a bit more spray

Edit: not saying there is a difference. I know one big time tractor builder around us is all about the 24v head

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

So aside from your VE you have no experience either way?

Pullers prefer 12v heads for rpm reasons. You don't have to spin a drag truck as fast and you need a broad power band. Also lower rpm power is more important since in a drag application it will be shifting.

I've ran both. On the same truck with the same cam, turbos, fuel system(except injectors obviously), and I prefer the 24v head by far. I switched to one from a 12v head. I like the injectors better. It makes cleaner power and spools better.

Oh and I turn 5500+ rpm's.

I ported cumins01 head. When he took it to Schieds they milled the intake and ported the intake runner. But I did the rest of it, before they did the intake.

Diehard Ram did a great job porting the exhaust side. Scheid did nothing with it. As far as the intake side, when I got the engine from Schied it was a long block.

Ill probably just keep the 24v head. Ill port and polish and do a big cam. Anything else I should run? I know Haisley makes a heavy duty spring kit I don't know if that is any good. I have 110 spring in it now

Back