dt466 swap

Has anyone seen how well the cooling is with the rad in the bed? I'm considering running a dt in a obs centurion cc lb dually. The piping down the frame alone will help cool but it's the airflow in the bed that worries me being that normally it's a vortex near the cab of turbulent air. Anyone know anyone who may have an idea?

Yea you could use electric fans.. Just like you can put in your pickup...
That would be all you need.

But would it cool it enough to use it for not sled pulling. Say taking it out for a cruise around, scare some Honda kids, pull a trailer. Something useful outside the dirt

thats how we are going to do the radiator in my buddies truck that we are putting the isl in. but we are also going to put a scoop on the roof directing the air flow to the front of headboard/radiator mount..

I do have more pix of Frank's truck, but It's not mine. I had no part in the build. If I were to suggest, I would say to set the engine back, like a drag car does so you can run a rad up front. The other part, I would suggest to anyone contemplating this swap, try a DT360 as a first choice. Hard to beat a 466, but a 360 will fit in a pickup so much better. Keep in mind, the torque will be roughly 2.5 times the hp level on a 466.
466f250.jpg

twinsDT466Ford.jpg

twinsDT466ford4.jpg

twinsDT466ford3.jpg

looking at the pic is seems as if he doesnt have the stock rear end and front end do u no what he has? Also do u know what tranny he has in the truck?

The rear is a Rockwell, easily found in most MD trucks, but I cant remember a model number. I believe the front is just a Dana 60. I really dont know what trans he uses.

The rear is a Rockwell, easily found in most MD trucks, but I cant remember a model number. I believe the front is just a Dana 60. I really dont know what trans he uses.

Im getting the whole vehicle its a f700 ford. Ill going to do a little research to find out if i can get some 3:55 gears and possiable some 8 lug outters

An F700 didn't come with a DT466. It's a Ford 6.6/7.8, or a Cummins 5.9 or 8.3...If it's a 94 it's gonna be the Cummins. Many Rockwell truck axles can get down to 3.31's I believe.

Last edited:
But would it cool it enough to use it for not sled pulling. Say taking it out for a cruise around, scare some Honda kids, pull a trailer. Something useful outside the dirt

It all depends an the fan.. You would need a couple of them to work properly.. But heu diesels do not build heat realy Quick as it is..

Back