3-2 downshift with converter locked

adamg

finishing up rebuild of my 47rh all that is left is the vb.

i have figured out the 2nd gear lockup and 4-3 downshift with converter locked but what about 3-2 downshift with converter locked? also any info on 1st gear lockup

i have been searching for days with little success :poke:

My RH will downshift from 3-2 with the torque converter locked when moving the selector from D to 2. I can also get it to kickdown to 2nd if I floor the pedal at a low RPM in 3rd. It however will not automatically downshift when rolling to a stop.

i live in the mountains and use exhaust brake...i want to be able to gear down locked up ready for descent....under no throttle conditions

good or bad. right or wrong i just want to know what i need to do to make this happen. a stock vb will not do this...aftermarket vbs are advertised with these options but i guess its a little known trick. if i breaks it ill just have to fix it again...im not scared and have the parts to do it

i only am running a single disk and did not make the torque converter lockup super aggressive...it will work for me as long as im not stupid about it

My RH will downshift from 3-2 with the torque converter locked when moving the selector from D to 2. I can also get it to kickdown to 2nd if I floor the pedal at a low RPM in 3rd. It however will not automatically downshift when rolling to a stop.

yours must be moddified..did you build it or buy it? im not looking for automatic shift..i want to be able to drop it in 2 with converter locked when i tell it to

Last edited:
I once had a vb that would downshift with the converter locked. Broke a chitload of billet shafts. Why not just unlock via switch, downshift, and use the switch to lock the converter back up in a lower gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I once had a vb that would downshift with the converter locked. Broke a chitload of billet shafts. Why not just unlock via switch, downshift, and use the switch to lock the converter back up in a lower gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

thats what i do now..just trying to make it a little simpler. i would image your shifting it with a load on it or have a really agressive setup to be breaking things. i have my trans setup to hold power but not have neck breaking shifts. its not a race truck :nos:

I would honestly advise against locked downshifts as well, especially when towing something. The only reason I know mine does it is because I drove around with the TCC hard wired to ground while I was testing things out before I had a switch. All I can say is it IS hard on stuff. A locked 2-3 and 1-2 would chirp both rear tires even at a low rpm downshift.

I built my valvebody using a transgo shift kit and I welded up the hole in the separator plate myself to get 2nd gear lockup (same mod as JB weld in the channel, just cleaner). The transmission will not downshift from 4th with the converter locked. I would have to go to neutral, turn off overdrive; then go back to D to get to 3rd. Then manually downshift from there.

I thought you have to flip the orientation of a spring and valve. I've read of it before on this forum.

Google "manual 2nd gear lockup" and read through all the results that are from comp d. I think the way to do it was mentioned in one of those threads. I think it was youngguns15

I thought you have to flip the orientation of a spring and valve. I've read of it before on this forum.

for 4-3 locked you flip the converter timing valve and spring around

i may hardly use these mods but would nice to be able to have the capability if i ever wanted to do so

Back