Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
longhorn859

Name: longhorn859
Title: Brap.
Member`s Gallery
Ive SEEN THE LIGHT!!! Ppump drag truck build

Hey guys,
I am building the blue truck in my avatar into a drag truck and I thought I would bring you guys along and get help from this thread rather than posting multiple threads about all of the questions I will have.
The truck is a 01 rclb 5-speed dually with 4.10's. Yeah, I know...the worst platform to build something fast on. I am going to try to go as fast as possible on 6 tires, I think it will be a fun project.
The truck started basically bone stock other than a adr, clutch, and airdog when I traded a while back with bbtank45. I have gone through multiple setups and I am finally starting to get where I want to be.
Here is where I stand with the vp...I am going to keep it and try to break some records until I cannot possibly advance any further with my build.
Lavon Miller has been kind enough to invite me up to his house starting December 17th to complete the auto swap and we decided on a 47rh TRE build with a full manual vb.
While at Lavon's I will play with some nitrous from coonsmile until I can muster up some cash to buy my own progressive kit.
Gearing will soon be changed from 4.10's to 3.55's or even 3.42's.
Air will be handled by ED. I started with a S468 very similar to DoubleJ's and I am working with a little larger S472 now with the possibility of some changes in the spring.
Fuel is delivered by some Scheid 6x18's and experimenting between the redline unlimited, ADR, drag comp, and every combination possible.
This should be an exciting project as I don't see many dually's trying to go fast. I should have a cage in by spring time and I would like to try and find a drag radial type tire in a 285/16 or so size to run on all six and be able to keep the current wheel setup I have now.
Normally I wouldn't post up a thread like this about a build but I think a lot of members would enjoy the pain and anguish of trying to be different in today's diesel industry
But lets not forget....my first goal is to get it faster than my 12.02 dd/tow rig by spring or else I will have some major issues. Long term goals for this project are definitely knocking on 10's door.
So if you follow or not, I hope you enjoy this build half as much as I am going to and thanks for everyone that has already helped and also to the future help!
Chase
BTW: This is the truck if you have not seen it
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by longhorn859; 12-09-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
SPEAKSUP

Name: SPEAKSUP
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
So your going to be getting the Auto swap. Thats sweet I am looking forward to see what's up with your turbo. Lavon and me also been talking about going to a big single. I was just going to do a billet wheel 68 like Double J. I have been told to wait off an see what you do. This is going to be a good build.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
rileydsking

Name: rileydsking
Member`s Gallery
that is a good looking truck! have fun and good luck with the build!
64 coupe deville
94 lightning

Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
ctdiesel99

Name: ctdiesel99
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Junk's slow!!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKSUP View Post
So your going to be getting the Auto swap. Thats sweet I am looking forward to see what's up with your turbo. Lavon and me also been talking about going to a big single. I was just going to do a billet wheel 68 like Double J. I have been told to wait off an see what you do. This is going to be a good build.
Yup, thats me! I actually overspun my 68 on the first dyno run. I was seeing absurd boost numbers and I was not monitoring drive but you could tell by listening to it on the dyno that it wasnt happy. I have since gotten an ED external gate and two 100lb gauges to monitor boost and drive. With my old 60lb gauge I hit 55lbs with no electronics and was pegging the 60lb gauge at 2100rpm with the redline and keeping it pegged until about 3800rpm. Chris and I have discussed a billet wheel option in the 72mm and we have both agreed to try this cast 72mm, give him results, and if its perfect leave the cast wheel. If it could use improvement move to the billet wheel or different covers and housings.
We were both shocked at the fact that I overspun that 68 and the only reason we could come up with is that my truck fuels so much volume at such a short period of time. Correct me if I am wrong but Joel is running 7x12's and I know these 6x18's are a whole different animal.
Look forward to meeting you when we get started up there.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileydsking View Post
that is a good looking truck! have fun and good luck with the build!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdiesel99 View Post
Junk's slow!!!!
Thanks Eric. I still have your muddy azz helmet lol. I don't wanna take that thing home for christmas!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Got Smoke?

Name: Got Smoke?
Member`s Gallery
I will be following this build... I have always thought your truck looked badass...just something about a reg cab dually! I just cant deal with a reg cab for a daily driver truck.

1997 2500 Jokerfab cyl head, PDR street cam, FDS benched pump, DFI 5x18's, HX35 63/67, FirePunk 47RE & anteater.

2003 Jetta TDI 5spd "DZL WGN" lot's of mods

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
coon smile

Name: coon smile
Member`s Gallery
Good luck, Chase!

Your truck will be in good hands up there in Firepunk country.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
SmokeShow

Name: SmokeShow
Member`s Gallery
a reg. cab dually is just badass looking IMO. I LOVE them!

Good luck with the project!

Whats your plans for an altitude adjustment on the truck? Looks kinda tall for a "race car" IMO but I'm a no body.

IG: @_mitch_ratliff_

'14 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew, w/ 3.5L EcoBoost, bone stock

83 GMC K30 CC SB 4WD awaiting D/A chassis swap

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
ctdiesel99

Name: ctdiesel99
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn859 View Post
Thank you sir!

Thanks Eric. I still have your muddy azz helmet lol. I don't wanna take that thing home for christmas!
Yeah i needed that helmet last weekend at the bar, i'll tell you about that some other time. 6 slicks FTW!!!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coon smile View Post
Good luck, Chase!

Your truck will be in good hands up there in Firepunk country.
Thanks Kyle! Thanks for the NX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
a reg. cab dually is just badass looking IMO. I LOVE them!

Good luck with the project!

Whats your plans for an altitude adjustment on the truck? Looks kinda tall for a "race car" IMO but I'm a no body.
Well, the plan is undecided. I kind of like how my dd/tow rig sits and it has gone pretty fast. The plan for now is to take the leveling kit out and take the back block out but it will have caltracs for sure. I am up for recommendations too. Thats why I posted this thread!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
MCForstenRacing

Name: MCForstenRacing
Title: 1/4 miles
Member`s Gallery
Good luck on your build I love seeing more vp trucks out there good luck on your endeavors! Monster pump it!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdiesel99 View Post
Yeah i needed that helmet last weekend at the bar, i'll tell you about that some other time. 6 slicks FTW!!!!!
Hahah cant wait to hear...I will definitely be playing with 6 tires for a while. Just trying to find a drag radial type tire with a decent sidewall for a 16in rim. They are just a little rare

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
This is how my dd/tow rig sits and I was kind of digging the race car style stance but I think I would level it out a little more in the rear.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
coon smile

Name: coon smile
Member`s Gallery
If they exist, Bill will find them.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
That's what he was telling me. We have been talking about this for a while and he found a 285 bf g force drag radial that looks pretty slick.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 AM   #17
SPEAKSUP

Name: SPEAKSUP
Member`s Gallery
Funny thing is with Joel he runs Nitrous and everything else. Still no wastegate. Surpirsed the hell out of me. Yeah I would like to see how well you do with this bigger single. I have a ported head on the way. Which I think will help with the spool A lot. For swuch a big turbo.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
LAmiller

Name: LAmiller
Title: THE KT-BOUNDARY
Member`s Gallery
Its going to be a quick truck and am looking forward to helping out on the project. All your Billet parts are trickling in and the DPC Triple Disc is on its way.

Lavon
http://www.shop.firepunk.com

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #19
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKSUP View Post
Funny thing is with Joel he runs Nitrous and everything else. Still no wastegate. Surpirsed the hell out of me. Yeah I would like to see how well you do with this bigger single. I have a ported head on the way. Which I think will help with the spool A lot. For swuch a big turbo.
I know, that is why we were stumped. I had no problem spooling the 68 with my spearco and fletcher cam on a stock head. It spooled just as fast, if not faster than my setup with ddp250's, 64/74/14 and stock ic and cam did. I could have honestly driven it daily the way it spooled. This new turbo is basically the same other than the change of the cover and compressor wheel. Chris did not want to set me up with something too radical right now with the auto swap and basically having to learn how to drive my truck all over again. When I get some readings of boost and drive we will build the charger from the 72mm platform if anything needs changes.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
longhorn859

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmiller View Post
Its going to be a quick truck and am looking forward to helping out on the project. All your Billet parts are trickling in and the DPC Triple Disc is on its way.

Lavon
Thanks Lavon, you have been a huge help already! Oh! before I forget. Does anyone know where to get the adaptor to make my transfer case work with the auto swap?

Closed Thread