Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
SOOTBANDIT

Name: SOOTBANDIT
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Big Problem! Please any advice

Ok so here is the scoop been down since Sat so tomorrow is 7 days!!! Well they finally get the hg job down and fire it up and idle to operating temp then go for the drive and make it 20mi down the road. Mechanic said it idled and ran perfect. Then he turns around to head back to shop and gets like 5mi back down road and BANG....running like ****.....then dies on road. So he calls the tow truck to come get him and tow back. Then he finally gets it to start i guess it did not want to start for him but he got it finally and it starts KNOCKING...Grey/White smoke and wat not but does not die apparently it has something to do with #5 cause when he shuts it down it goes away so they swap #4 and #5 injectors to see if it might be an injector causing the problem nope same thing it only stops knocking and smoking when they cut #5 off...but they cant figure it out and of course the are open tomorrow but HE the tech wont be there BS in my opinion but hey thats just me. So now it wont be looked at till Tues and they emailed Star Systems again to see wat they say. Any help would be great i have exhausted myself and a few members here also. Also just so you know truck did not have any other issues besides the hg before it was taken in. I tried the search button but couldnt find anything close to my problem so sorry if i overlooked something Thanks again

BTW way 2007 6.7
all deletes
with h@S xrt set to stock

Old 07-02-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
JAWilson

Name: JAWilson
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Sounds Like an injector sticking could be the culprit, however if it didn't have the problem before the HG blew I'm going to go out on a limb and say the shop done something screwy when putting the valvetrain back together.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
JAWilson

Name: JAWilson
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Is there any fuel in places it shouldn't be? For example; crank case breather vent, intercooler, oil?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWilson View Post
Is there any fuel in places it shouldn't be? For example; crank case breather vent, intercooler, oil?
Funny thing is they say they didnt have the head apart as far as valves just rockers. They say they checked it at their shop. As far as fuel being somewhere it shouldnt be i dont know i just know i called cause it was day 3 of a HG job and wanted my truck cause its my bread and butter and i asked is it ready and he said bad news then i flipped **** on him like WTF man. Will know more on Tues morning

Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
CREED1

Name: CREED1
Title: Throwed Off
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like a first class diesel repair shop too me pay the repair bill owed so far do some research on good shops in the area and have it towed to new shop imo.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
CIDraughn

Name: CIDraughn
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Check everything out on cylinder 5. Pushrods and all. Its not hard for one of those to miss the ball occasionally. If putting a good injector in the same spot doesnt help it, and cutting off #5 injector is the only thing that fixes it, it has to be valvetrain related.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
DivisionFour50

Name: DivisionFour50
Title: Revvv It
Member`s Gallery
Defiantly a valvetrain problem.. Bring it to a shop that knows what there doing.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
jaybuller

Name: jaybuller
Title: USCG MK
Member`s Gallery
or when you blew the headgasket it filled up that cyl with coolant and when the crank tried to push that # 5 piston up it was full of coolant and the pressure cracked your rod... so now when there is a load on that cyl it runs like crap because the piston is just sittin there at the top of the cyl and the rod is banging around down there in the cly....

Just a wild guess. that could very well happen. It happed to me in a 7.3 powerstroke before....
1997 4x4 auto 12v sold.....
1989 K5 Blazer 4x4. ppumped 4bt cummins/nv4500sold
2001 X 4x4 7.3 stroker
05 2wd 1500 ram..12v 4500 4x4 swap underway

Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
cumminsman315

Name: cumminsman315
Member`s Gallery
so they resurfaced the head with valves still installed? or didn't resurface the head at all?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsman315 View Post
so they resurfaced the head with valves still installed? or didn't resurface the head at all?
Nope they just checked it accordingly to their service manual they have a piece of metal they lay across the head and use feeler gauges in like 15-20 diff places. As far as it being a valve train issue could it still be in the cylinder since they are cutting the fuel it stops so it would less of a load and once they put fuel back on it would be more of a load....or am i just thinking into to much.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybuller View Post
or when you blew the headgasket it filled up that cyl with coolant and when the crank tried to push that # 5 piston up it was full of coolant and the pressure cracked your rod... so now when there is a load on that cyl it runs like crap because the piston is just sittin there at the top of the cyl and the rod is banging around down there in the cly....

Just a wild guess. that could very well happen. It happed to me in a 7.3 powerstroke before....
I cant see this cause everything checked out ok as far as being a hg and it ran perfect was their exact words and i have been driving it like this for quite some time. but anything is possible i guess at this point.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
CIDraughn

Name: CIDraughn
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivisionFour50 View Post
Defiantly a valvetrain problem.. Bring it to a shop that knows what there doing.
Agreed. If it ran ok afterward but then just started a few minutes later it shouldnt be a cracked rod. But as you said anything is possible.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
Sound like the wiring harness in the rocker box. If I had to guess.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
I just hope its something simple!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
Well its done for they say its #5 Rod bearing out....Oh and BTW they are not standing behind it for nothing saying they did not cause it. Pretty much really pissed off and dont know weather or not to even try and fight it. Oh and they still wasnt me to pay $2500 for the incompetent work they performed!!!!! Guess im going to try and call Chrysler tomorrow morning see wat they say...any other options????

Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #16
CREED1

Name: CREED1
Title: Throwed Off
Member`s Gallery
$2500 to replace a freakin head gasket? Was this a dodge dealership and you were trying get hg warrantied or what? Id be sure and ask the service department for a tube of ky when you go to trailer it to a different shop. My suggestion would be check the injector wiring harness from connections on side of the valve cover and under vc to injector. If issue is still there id go ahead and try capping the rail to that specfic cylinder to see if knocking and smoking go away. It makes non sense that it would b white smoking due to bad rod bearing knocking yes but not the smoking. The knock could very well be a fuel knock imo.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 AM   #17
DivisionFour50

Name: DivisionFour50
Title: Revvv It
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREED1 View Post
$2500 to replace a freakin head gasket? Was this a dodge dealership and you were trying get hg warrantied or what? Id be sure and ask the service department for a tube of ky when you go to trailer it to a different shop. My suggestion would be check the injector wiring harness from connections on side of the valve cover and under vc to injector. If issue is still there id go ahead and try capping the rail to that specfic cylinder to see if knocking and smoking go away. It makes non sense that it would b white smoking due to bad rod bearing knocking yes but not the smoking. The knock could very well be a fuel knock imo.
I agree.. What kind of shop is this?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #18
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
That sounds high even for a dealer. Thats like 15+ hours labor.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #19
jaybuller

Name: jaybuller
Title: USCG MK
Member`s Gallery
well if its the bearing out of it it wouldnt cause the smoke issue like you say unless the bearing going out siezed and broke the rod loose from the crank.( wich is a possibility as i stated earlier.. but just a bad bearing causing it to smoke no way in hell.)
1997 4x4 auto 12v sold.....
1989 K5 Blazer 4x4. ppumped 4bt cummins/nv4500sold
2001 X 4x4 7.3 stroker
05 2wd 1500 ram..12v 4500 4x4 swap underway

Old 07-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
SOOTBANDIT

Member`s Gallery
It is a Dodge Dealer im not paying the bill no way in hell

Closed Thread