Anyone know Volvo's?

nrose07

I love high sulfur
So I have a new truck (to me) at work. Garbage dude, 2001 Volvo xpediator curbtender with a 275hp d7e/ Allison 5spd. Issue is that it feels like "torque management" is taking over in 1st and 2nd gear. The thing just won't move. Around 1800 in second gear it goes and goes good. I say around because I don't have a tach on the right dash. So the big issue is that the compactor is trying to cycle in about the same rpm range before the pto kicks out, so I go no where. Shut off the pto helps, but even with all power draining accessories off I have to roll to the bottom of a hill to make it to the top if I've had to stop midway.
Now the twists. It gets worse as the ambient temperature goes up, Sometimes into 3rd gear. Sometimes I have dead pedal, usually a shut down fixes that. And last the sister truck bought at the same time had the same issues. No excessive fueling, just alittle dirty when waiting for it to go. I'll take some video in the morning and post it. Thanks!

Hmm I'm curious as to how you knew I was a Volvo tech. Haha let me do some reading on these d7's on Monday. We don't get many in our shop so I'm not very sharp with them. We mostly get d12's 13's and 16's. I will get back with you on Monday though.

Sent from a Dumb Phone using Tapatalk 2

I'm going to talk with one of the master techs today and see what I can come up with. I was really busy yesterday so I didn't have time to check it out. I apologize for the delay.

Look into your injection pump. It sounds like the fuel rail is sticking. The pump is mechanical but the fuel rail is controlled electronically. They had a lot of problems with the fuel rail sticking and not allowing full travel.

Is this a simple deburing or replacement of parts? Not finding any info on these online yet. Thanks!

There is no cleaning or deburring. They wear down and that's when they start to hang up. You will need a new injection pump.

So here is the pump. Basically a Bosch P variation. So by changing titles to cummins nomenclature are you referring to the afc or the fuel plate or,,,? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350349170.527449.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350349184.689495.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350349198.009553.jpg
Edit, and if this is like a 12v P-7100 is there any manual adjustment like moving the plate or star wheel? This thing is going to get me killed! First in line at a intersection, light turns green I can't get though it before it turns yellow again.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350349151.743959.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350349151.743959.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
And I just now see your last post. So my understanding is that this pump has been replaced and has acted like this from day one. The mechanic replaced the "fuel valve" today along with the #1 injector, he's chasing geese but who knows. Won't know anything till Wed. since the banjo bolt broke putting it back together.

Well it's currently sitting on the side of the road about 200yds from the shop. That's as far as he got before it died. Right now they are trying to prime the pump, they think it lost prime. After idling in the shop for awhile and driving that far? Umm,,,

I'm convinced you will need a new injection pump. Unfortunately its a plague with these engines. I replied to your PM as well bud. Sorry I'm not responding very quickly. Work keeps me busy and off my phone. Lol

Any response is good! Thank you, it's at a independent shop in Medford Or. Should hear something maybe friday, told them to engage the PTO then try to pull into traffic. When they quit changing their diapers it should be good.

From the pictures that pump looks fairly new. Has it ever been replaced before?

[ame]http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/nrose07/9893CBB0-7A5C-4ECE-90C7-0828B2BCCFAB-7365-0000064C74C863EF.mp4[/ame]
[ame]http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv291/nrose07/43A2B845-2898-46B4-9F49-8A7E1512F94D-7365-00000651992E2A4F.mp4[/ame]
So I took these today, it actually looks like I'm moving in the videos. Not sure how that happened. Decent hill, not that it takes one for this to happen. Full throttle, and I still roll backwards. Tried to focus on the tach, 1800 is the magic spot where it finds its knuts. 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd on up is fine. ????

Oh wow. I wonder if its not something with the trans. Sorry for leading you in different directions. Lol its just hard to diagnose something that I can physically tell what is going on. Just have to rule out things before I can on move to the next suspect.

Back