Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Motorsports Supply
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
COMP461

Name: COMP461
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
MaxSpool dual Spring and Titanium retainers along with loaner ZZ spring changers

Over the past 25 years, I have been intimately involved in many competitive engine development programs, Specifically camshaft and valvetrain components. These programs ranged from 12,000 RPM Competition Eliminator small block screamers , to Pro Stock truck and Pro Stock .

I took on the task, of developing competitive diesel power plants 6 years ago, with a Cummins powered Jerry Bickel Pro Stock truck , partner with Dr Performance, and succeeded in and make it, the fastest diesel Truck on the planet at that time recording the first 9 second pass , and 8 second pass in a diesel powered pick up.

The first task, was to improve air flow thru a cylinder head, that was impossibly too small. While the cylinder head development program moved on , I went to work on valve train improvements . A serious cam program was necessary, I looked at the current cam offerings, and then employed the tools, I had used, on other programs over the years. These tools included Extensive use of comprehensive data logging systems.

The data made it clear that a diesel engine, would not allow the typical cam timing events that moved air in a gasoline engine.

The diesel engine made power by keeping the seat timing events ( .006 lift )as short as possible, and yet have generous area under the curve. represent by the timing numbers at .200 lobe lift .

This required fast acting cam profiles , not a problem, the 5.9 Cummins has 54.5 mm cam journals and huge base circle on the cam, this and the huge mushroom tappets allowed cam profiles that were just what was needed. The push rods are straight up and down so that area was more then capable of the task ahead.

In developing the dual spring system , I spent time on the Sprintron with the Cummins 24valve / CR . One of the main problem with the link-Bridge system employed on the Cummins 24 valve is that consistency of valve spring pressure thru the lift range is critical. If one springs is not exactly the same thru the entire lift cycle, the spring with less pressure allows that valve to lifts farther , this first rises concern for valve clearance , and then the link-bridge becomes less stable , and leads to the possibility of pitching the bridge

I have done extensive testing , to including all the available single springs on the market.

First , the inexpensive single spring combination showed a fatal flaw, that becomes painfully apparent as RPM , lift rate , and boost increase . This even included the beehive ovulated wire springs . These are great on a single application, where spring pocket space is at a premium , and cost is the main motivating factor.

These springs are considerable less expensive , less then half. There are only a few manufactures in the world that wind wire into springs ....... We all as Custom cam grinders draw on the same resources , from the smallest to the largest , like Bullet , or Comp cams draw on these same spring manufactures,

I could provide single ovulated wire springs for the exact same spring winders thou a different wholesaler , for around $100.00 and still make money.

I could not in good conscious do that . I decided to take the high road, in that I started grinding cams and doing R&D on diesel valve trains to provide the best , not the most marketable.

When I first started to provide springs the going rate of a set of 24 springs was $500 to $900 a set , these same springs could be bought in large lots, for well under a $100 a set. I set my sights on providing the very best , possible , a dual spring that required a custom retainer. I started using a titanium retainer in that it was only slightly more expensive then a heat treated chrome molly piece . A single spring , can not even come close to a dual spring system , that is just a given fact .

I provide the best possible parts ,

I have 4 of the new Spring Changers, that Greg at ZZ custom Fabrications designed and manufactors ready to loan out to people wanting the very best possable parts .

here is a older picture , I ship them out as fast as the come in , so I never seem to get time to take pictures

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
JerrodGlover

Name: JerrodGlover
Title: Pulling God
Member`s Gallery
So whats the cost?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
$569 retail this included the dual springs and titanium retainers

Industrial Injection Exclusively
Dr Performance Exclusively
Pure Diesel Power

are dealers for all the MaxSpool Product
Push rods in both 3/8's 10 mm cup and 7/16 tapered wall 10 mm cup
custom ground cams on new UGL's one at a time ground here in the USA
ARP rocker Studs for the 24 valve and CR

I will have more next week, I went thru 50 sets in the last two weeks

Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Dockboy

Name: Dockboy
Title: Comps BFF
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP461 View Post
Over the past 25 years, I have been intimately involved in many competitive engine development programs, Specifically camshaft and valvetrain components. These programs ranged from 12,000 RPM Competition Eliminator small block screamers , to Pro Stock truck and Pro Stock .

I took on the task, of developing competitive diesel power plants 6 years ago, with a Cummins powered Jerry Bickel Pro Stock truck , partner with Dr Performance, and succeeded in and make it, the fastest diesel Truck on the planet at that time recording the first 9 second pass , and 8 second pass in a diesel powered pick up.

The first task, was to improve air flow thru a cylinder head, that was impossibly too small. While the cylinder head development program moved on , I went to work on valve train improvements . A serious cam program was necessary, I looked at the current cam offerings, and then employed the tools, I had used, on other programs over the years. These tools included Extensive use of comprehensive data logging systems.
Man....would you get with the program

Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
UNBROKEN

Name: UNBROKEN
Title: Ezekiel 25:17
Member`s Gallery
No BS in this forum, Greg.

Dockboy Greg...not COMP Greg.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
J.Keith

Name: J.Keith
Title: Pro Diesel Tech
Member`s Gallery
The Maxspool springs and cams are what I like to use. Good stuff

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
duallyspeed

Name: duallyspeed
Title: New Speedway Boogie
Member`s Gallery
bump for GOOD STUFF thank you Greg for all your help on my truck.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
no problem, your head and manifold is looking really good

Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
springs in stock again , after the run on Dual Springs , I have been out , well we have 100 sets read to ship as soon as they are packaged up on tuesday.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #10
Mighty Goat

Name: Mighty Goat
Title: Slow Progression
Member`s Gallery
After turning my 04.5 CR to 4,000rpms literally hundreds of times on the street and a handfull of times in competition. I will attest that Gregs springs can take anything you can throw at them.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
SmokinCummins

Name: SmokinCummins
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like my springs will be here this week - Thanks Greg!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
COMP461

Member`s Gallery
Just finished another batch of retainers , the guy that dose my retainers provides parts for F22 and F35 , so some times my retainers take a back seat , but the good part is that he dose art work in titanium , and they are worth it , the Dual Spring has no rival when it comes to progressiveness , and control of harmonics in a Cummins engine. With two springs each having a different first and second order harmonics that cancels each other out it dramatically dampens out the unwanted oscillations in the valve train .
These springs will cover .500 lift with seat pressures of 100 to 125 depending on installs height. This spring coilbind’s at .780 , this is how short you can squeeze the spring until the coils touch , the singles out there coil bind at .900 or more .

I have over 400 sets of thes springs out there with zero problems , they just flat work . I have another 25 sets in now so if you need then grab them while they are available .

Old 07-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
duallyspeed

Name: duallyspeed
Title: New Speedway Boogie
Member`s Gallery
Click the image to open in full size. i will soon put the squeeze on them.thanks Greg.

Closed Thread