fresh engine problem

winkdemon

Fast, Cheap or Reliable.
just got a new engine back in my truck , the engine has malhe marine pistons , colt 181-210 cam , 60lbs valve springs, studs , dpp 140's , 181 dv's ,160 pump, adjustable pump gear , timing set at 16 ,

problem is white smoke and popping , i did a 5 min no water break in , engine sounds ok at 1800 rpm ,it's when you go to rev it up it pops , hold the rpm and its ok

i am going to try more timing 18-20 and bigger dv's and check fuel pressure

Last edited:
that was my first thought , but it cant slip the gear is keyed , but i am going to check it anyways make sure i didnt do something wrong with i put it back together. i have put a hundred of these together and never had any problems .

Was it timed by the right chart? I helped a friend out that had his pump timed in a diesel shop late at night and they used the wrong chart for his pump.

Also I have seen that happen with broken valve springs. I would definitely check fuel pressure and check the timing again.

so i checked the timing it was at 16 , but i put it up to 20 , and checked fuel pressure , witch was low , 5psi lol , so i am sedning this pump for warranty as it was new , i will post up what i found with a new one ,

Check overflow valve.

Seems everyone overlooks this.

-Clinton

It's brand new , but i will check it anyways at the same time . i pretty much changed everything that goes wrong with these things , i figured when it was out i might as well do everything at once , didnt help but that was the idea

well the new pump was no good , put another new one on and a pusher pump and it runs cherry , thanks for the help guys

Back