Old School HX35/HT3B vs Modern Compound Setup

4 years later here are some T3 manifold pictures.

The rusty one is a heavily hand ported cast 3 piece, the silver one is Stainless Diesel, and the black one is Steed Speed.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Manifold Time Line: I went from stock to a 3 piece due to the stock unit shrinking. I bought the 3 piece on here. It had a crack and I had it "professionally" welded. At a later date it cracked again and I started researching manifolds. I didn't want the same cast 3peice issues as before so I looked at quality one piece designs.

The only USA made ones I could find were Stainless Diesel and Steed. It was a tough decision but I went with stainless diesel, mainly because of the warranty. However, when it arrived I was very disappointed. The manifold was cast with round 24v ports that were half ass ported to 12v. The neck down from the rectangle gasket area to the port was terrible. Even the T3 port did not match my turbo spacer, or the gasket. I called Stainless diesel to ask if my warranty would be voided if I cleaned up the ports and gasket areas. After 3-4 calls with no response over a couple months, I decided to sell it and go with Steed. I mean, if I bought it mainly for the warranty, and voided it to make it fit, what's the point?

Steed's customer service was prompt and cordial...and they even asked for a tshirt size. When the manifold arrived I my jaw dropped. The manifold was actually bolted to a wood plank in a double thick cardboard box, not flopping loosely in a standard box one like Stainless Diesel. I removed it from the plank to reveal it's gorgeous welds, radius edges, and perfect ports. This is what I expect to see when I spend $650 on a manifold! It's almost too nice to bolt to my oil coated 12 valve in a rusty farm truck...almost.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here are some closer pictures to show what I mean when I say the ports are just chamfered 24v ports. I have measurements somewhere, but I think it was like 1/4" lost at the top and bottom of the port, plus a big chunk on the corners. I feel like it would take days to port these into nice rectangular ports. Compared to this the Steed looks like a smoothed CNC port job which retains the rectangle port design throughout the runners. The other pictures will also show a better angle and radius on all ports, especially the 1 and 6 cylinders compared to the abrupt angle of the cast iron and stainless diesel.

Hopefully the pictures above show the vast differences between these manifolds and help folks make an informed decision on which to buy. To me there is a drastic difference in quality, craftsmanship, and port design between Steed and Stainless Diesel. Material, quality, design, price, service, flow, fitment, I think Steed wins in every category except corrosion. To this day their website still shows no head port shots of the manifold. I think I know why.

PS: Did you notice Steed's bolt holes are more oval the further you get from the center? Go back and look.

Tune in next decade for a review of some injectors I bought in 2011. :hehe:

Last edited:
That stainless manifold is a joke! I'd be less pissed if they at least tried to port match the runner. Why wouldn't they have 2 separate castings?

Did you notice Steed's bolt holes are more oval the further you get from the center? Go back and look.

I believe that the holes are oval because of the expansion/contraction of the manifold. I can't remember which manifold I was installing, but I had to whack it a few times with a dead blow hammer to get it to go on the studs. Great thread, and please keep it updated.

I didn’t need anymore of a reason to want the Steed, but I’m impressed by the pics. A bit disappointing on the Stainless.

The SS manifold I had years ago, the outer holes were larger diameter, I assume that was to allow for some expansion.

It's not just Stainless that makes their cast 12v manifolds that way, the china ones are also.

Yup, I refuse to give any money to those bastards unless there is not other way.

That stainless manifold is a joke! I'd be less pissed if they at least tried to port match the runner. Why wouldn't they have 2 separate castings?

It was half assed for sure. Idono why, maybe lazy? Cheap? Speaking of castings, I would have posted the pictures if I had the room, but even the "Stainless Diesel" cast into the manifold wasn't casted right.

I believe that the holes are oval because of the expansion/contraction of the manifold. I can't remember which manifold I was installing, but I had to whack it a few times with a dead blow hammer to get it to go on the studs. Great thread, and please keep it updated.

Thanks! Exactly why I pointed it out. Steed thought that part through and so far mine isn't having any bolt issues like the stocker did.

The SS manifold I had years ago, the outer holes were larger diameter, I assume that was to allow for some expansion.

Exactly.

I found my second stash of manifold pictures, it was an older phone so excuse the lack of quality. I am out of CompD picture space though. Here are the last two pictures I had space for.

Middle runner on the Steed.
picture.php

Here they are flange to flange, picture from the Steed T3 port. Huge neck down.
picture.php

Last edited:
I went with the Stainless unit for the heat retention abilities of 304 SS but, was very disappointed to see the poor port transitions.
I hate having to "fix" a high quality product.

port-cleanup_zpsnoktgd3q.jpg

Right? They need a decent amount of work to become acceptable on the 12v in my eyes. Kudos for putting the work into those, much better than before.

Thanks! Exactly why I pointed it out. Steed thought that part through and so far mine isn't having any bolt issues like the stocker did.

The factory 12v manifold is like that too. #3 cylinder has smaller holes, all the rest are enlarged.

Steed speed is by far superior to any other manifold company I have seen. Like you mentioned, from the way they come packaged to even the oval bolt holes is nothing but amazing.

I was very excited when they announced they are making a set for the duramax and currently saving up for a set. They might be pretty pricey but I want to support a company that I know does a fantastic job.

Yea, Stainless’ customer service is horrible. I bought a twin kit for my customer and they failed time and time again to get things right. Wrong parts shipped, didn’t send the right stuff when they were supposed to, never apologized or owned up to it, didn’t answer emails, calls, etc. It almost cost me a customer, but I spent 2 nights making some piping to get them going. I will most likely never purchase another product from them. Steed’s customer service has been great, the 1 time I needed them. It’s a nice piece for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dang. Always thought those stainless kits looked nice but to hell with spending that kind of money and getting no support.

Back