02 dmax problems

04 hotrod

sponsored by mastercard
i have a friend looking at a 2002 dmax and he is asking me about problems he could be expecting with the truck. now i dont deal with the dmax so i thought i would ask the people that do. so... what kinda problems will he be looking at if he gets it and does a minor build like a tune exhaust and intake?

thanks guys.

The most common problem with LB7's is injectors going bad. People try to help their longevity in different ways, such as better filters, lift pumps, and fuel additives. If he runs over about a +100hp or so tune the transmission will be a problem, too.

I'm also interested. Because I just bought an o4 lb7 motor and is being shipped from houston the guy said the motor is qoute tired... so I already plan on tearing it down as soon as I get it and building from the ground up the right way. So I'm looking to elimate most of the problems while its apart... what I've heard about lb7's is first off injector cups. Then also I've heard sumthin about I think it head gasket problems maybe. I don't remeber. So id like to no these little details b4 I finish my transplant

I'm also interested. Because I just bought an o4 lb7 motor and is being shipped from houston the guy said the motor is qoute tired... so I already plan on tearing it down as soon as I get it and building from the ground up the right way. So I'm looking to elimate most of the problems while its apart... what I've heard about lb7's is first off injector cups. Then also I've heard sumthin about I think it head gasket problems maybe. I don't remeber. So id like to no these little details b4 I finish my transplant

Head gaskets are mostly an issue with 01-02 as GM updated the gaskets mid year of 02 due to leakage. If you plan on going more than 500HP at the wheels, then a set of ARP head studa and new GM gaskets is highly reccomended. Much more than 550HP though and you are gambling with your rods as to how long they will go until they shorten(some hav gone as high as 700 without problems though, tuning plays a HUGE role here). Injectors are the main concern, and the problem with them when tuned is when you start raising the pressures. I was told that even going to 170 on the rail can cause them to wear faster due to the small air bubbles and how they pop under pressure going through the injectors which in turns wears the seats faster. Many people have stayed at a 160 rail pressure for just this reason. Its all a roll of the dice really, and who really knows with the injectors how to make them live. If you are building one for a performance build, I would at least put in a set of LBZ or LMM rods, delipped LB7 pistons, weld the water pump gear, key the cam gear, ARP head studs, and new GM gaskets.

well I plan on gettn the crank keyed and getting performance rods and mahl pistons, I no you delip the piston so it won't pertrude the fuel bowl or sumthin like that, I've never heard of welding water pump, and for the injectors. I read were matt moon put sumthin like hold down on his or sumthin to that nature.

The hold downs do not help the problem of teh injectors bypassing due to the check ball not seating, it only helps keep fuel from getting into the crankcase. The basic rule is if you have and lb7 be prepared to replace the injectors if they have not already been done.

Make sure you get the block check on the '04 LB7. If your going to be putting studs and all in it, then the line hone for the mains should be redone. Also you should have the cylinders honed with a torque plate and the head studs install.

Back