Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
fosterriley

Name: fosterriley
Title: Just wanna go fast
Member`s Gallery
Axle wrap with traction bars?

I installed some 40" long traction bars with ballistic 2.63 joints on my 2006 ram 2500. Still getting wheelhop/ axle wrap I've tried running no load on them and Preload. Same results either way.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
fosterriley

Member`s Gallery
Here are some pictures. It was being a pain and would only let me upload them in PDF version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_5662.pdf (873.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_5106.pdf (812.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_5625 2.pdf (608.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_5066.pdf (1.00 MB, 0 views)

Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
turbo_coffin

Name: turbo_coffin
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Because those are only attaching to the axle at one point the axle can still rotate as much as it wants to

Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
DieselheaD

Name: DieselheaD
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How many leafs do you have?

Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 AM   #5
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
You're likely flexing your leafs then. I like the style that hook onto the axle top and bottom, then have a shackle up front. That way you take that stress off the leafs, have more control, and don't bind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_coffin View Post
Because those are only attaching to the axle at one point the axle can still rotate as much as it wants to
Maybe if you take the leaf springs off!

Old 03-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #6
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
You're likely flexing your leafs then. I like the style that hook onto the axle top and bottom, then have a shackle up front. That way you take that stress off the leafs, have more control, and don't bind.

Maybe if you take the leaf springs off!
Precisely

Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
The angle of the bars are probably working against the leaf spring arc making it hop, not wrap. You can have single bars that don't bind for more travel than these leafs will allow.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #8
fosterriley

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq92 View Post
The angle of the bars are probably working against the leaf spring arc making it hop, not wrap. You can have single bars that don't bind for more travel than these leafs will allow.

I think that is more what it's doing. I also filled up my tires from 40psi to 55psi and it decreased as well. Then threw on a different set of tires and it eliminated it. Odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselheaD View Post
How many leafs do you have?

Full leaf pack with the 3 spacers flipped to the top. Thinking of pulling overloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
This is the design I used for my traction bars. They work very well for weight transfer and locking the rear in place but allowing for movement. Granted, it is a full race only vehicle, only have 2 leafs in the rear as well as a ubolt flip kit to remove the lift block, and a shackle flip kit on the back of the leafs.

Traction bars
Click the image to open in full size.

40psi boosted launch
Click the image to open in full size.[/url]

Normal rear ride height
Click the image to open in full size.[/url]

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Duramaxfan03

Name: Duramaxfan03
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Doesn't having a shackle in place where the bars meet the frame ruin the whole purpose of having traction bars? As you apply momentum the rear end wants to move, so the bars are supposed to hold it in place, but now that you have a shackle wont the bars just move the shackle back and fourth, thus allowing the rear end to still pivot? Im just a rookie puller so im just trying to learn.
S&B CAI, MBRP intercooler tubes, PPE manifolds and up-pipes, profab turbo horn, MBRP downpipe, 5" straight exhaust, 10mm cp3, Fass 150 lift pump, 60% over injectors, studs, Custom traction bars, G2 tie rods, kryptonite center link, built trans & T-case

Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
When you get axle wrap, the differential is trying to twist, the long traction bars prevent that and are held in place by the connection at the frame. The shackle is there to help with suspension travel so that it doesn't bind as the suspension cycles. I have solid rubber mounts in the back at the axle and heim joints at the 2 bars connection point and at the frame point. If I was doing hard core off roading and needed more flex, I'd make the front where it could swivel as well

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
Marq92

Name: Marq92
Member`s Gallery
If you run a shackle you need two mounting points on the top and bottom of the axle, and that is the extent I know about that lol. Such as what shackle angle is best, as well as what points on the axle.
2001.0 QCLB 3500 4x4 3.55 Toyo M-55 255/85R16 Brown's/Goerend 48RE sonnax shafts/maxed count Alto clutches Carli/Deaver 3.0 EMF BJ's PSC 6 bolt box Synergy steering TheRetroShop HID projector retrofit VLED's DC Power 180A alternator W-T ground mod ISSPRO EV2's

Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 PM   #13
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Yes, you do need a triangulated setup if you run a shackle. Here is some good reading material: http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

I tried to get my bars as parrallel to the ground and frame as I could for the bottom bar.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
Anti Wrap bars | Torque arm | Traction Bar

��

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #15
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxfan03 View Post
Doesn't having a shackle in place where the bars meet the frame ruin the whole purpose of having traction bars? As you apply momentum the rear end wants to move, so the bars are supposed to hold it in place, but now that you have a shackle wont the bars just move the shackle back and fourth, thus allowing the rear end to still pivot? Im just a rookie puller so im just trying to learn.
You're thinking of it more like coil springs work.
With leafs, you can let the leaf hold the axle fore aft (and obviously vertically). The issue is pinion angle (axle rotation). With NakeDiesels setup (the best setup IMO), you make a triangle off the axle that's rotationally rigid, but can flex in the lateral direction because of the bushings at the axle, and can 'float' in the fore aft direction because of the shackle. What it will constantly do is provide rotational support, and what it wont do is create binding.
Other than the weight involved, it's the best/simplest setup you can do for a leaf spring rear. And I mean that for pulling, mud, drag, street, and towing.

There are others that try different stuff. I know FirePunk does a full four link rear and binds the leaf spring on purpose, but they gain more control over pinion angle and can keep it the same angle throughout travel. This setup will give you less pinion angle change per inch of travel, the longer you make it.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
sootie

Name: sootie
Title: .....like a BAWSS
Member`s Gallery
only downside to the triangulated/shackle setup is that is does not prevent the axle from "plowing" which is when it translates the energy that would normally be axle wrap, to flexing into a "dog track" position. Of course that takes a generous amount of torque to cause that which many street driven and lower power trucks will never experience.

Closed Thread