Is Opie still in business?

Biohmmwv

I've been reading about input shafts for my 48rh project ( 47rh valve body and case with 48re guts) and Opie seems to be the best.
However, I can't find any contact information and his website (Intelligent Engineering) is dead.
Has Opie passed on or has he closed shop?

I've been reading about input shafts for my 48rh project ( 47rh valve body and case with 48re guts) and Opie seems to be the best.
However, I can't find any contact information and his website (Intelligent Engineering) is dead.

I don't know, but I hope there are more options than you've presented. Damn.

I believe Dave @ Ultimate purchased a lot of Opie's stock years ago. I agree, Dave would be the one to contact.

Thanks for the replies. I called Ultimate and they guy I spoke with said Opie sold out to another company. The guy on the phone talked so fast I wasn't able to catch the name of the company.
He did say for the low power levels I'm shooting for with my 12 valve I don't really need an after market input shaft.

Keep researching on OPIE, there was a slew of what appeared to be bad shafts from IE.

TALK to Bill at source automotive 503 654 9004

Source bought out Opie.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I called Ultimate and they guy I spoke with said Opie sold out to another company. The guy on the phone talked so fast I wasn't able to catch the name of the company.
He did say for the low power levels I'm shooting for with my 12 valve I don't really need an after market input shaft.

What is your HP goal and intended use?

From our experience the Opie shafts break easily at the oiling holes in the base of the shaft. We feel the TCS Arizona big shaft is the strongest out there. Call Firepunk, we can sell you a shaft/stator/converter.

Stay stock with a good valve body and all the basic upgrades. Go with a good triple disk convertor, the singles dont hold up towing heavy. The valve body can be set where lockup isn't harsh, billet shaft isn't needed there. Especially not a fat shaft.

Boosted launches or a lockup switch get a billet input, thats sounds alot different than the wife's truck. My daily driver is about 400hp and tows heavy often, I have been for years with the same stock input trans. I sometimes run it hard but don't use a lockup switch, its not my hot rod.

If it was for my wife's truck I would leave hers stock, if she broke it would teach her to slow the hell down.

Boosted launches or a lockup switch get a billet input, thats sounds alot different than the wife's truck. My daily driver is about 400hp and tows heavy often, I have been for years with the same stock input trans. I sometimes run it hard but don't use a lockup switch, its not my hot rod.

I was referring to Justappumped24valve's post and was asking him if he did that type of stuff before his stock shaft broke.

I don't abuse my equipment. At 650 ftlbs of torque, my truck will only be around what the 2006 Cummins stock level was. However, being a 12 valve, it won't have the torque management software to protect the transmission.

No boosted launches or racing. All I did was bump up the power to a modern truck and drove it everyday and hauled equipment. No lockup switch either. Was cruising at 65mph and I heard a noise and then the Rpms went up and the speed didn't. My wife's truck has also stripped the splines off a factory input as well. I cannot testify to her driving but if I had to guess it for driven hard.

Inputs breaking have almost no correlation to power in all reality. You will read and hear stories about guys with 800hp on the stock shaft. Driving habits and freak happenings impact it more. I was driving over a bridge under power and hitting the bump before and after the bridge was enough to shock load the shaft and snap it. Stock truck with nothing more than some fueling on a 12v.

If you can afford a billet shaft, buy it. If you can't then sell some chit and buy it. I always tell guys aftermarket wheels and performance parts aren't much use bolted to a broken truck.

From our experience the Opie shafts break easily at the oiling holes in the base of the shaft. We feel the TCS Arizona big shaft is the strongest out there. Call Firepunk, we can sell you a shaft/stator/converter.

I saw a few broken opie shafts on matts tool box at firepunk diesel.

Last edited:
Back