Truckers, lets see your rigs!

The problem with a Volvo engine is it's in a Volvo truck. It's like having a gold nugget wrapped in a rattling leaking turd.

How is the MAN engine over there that's supposed to be similar to the Maxxforce 13 here? I know currently the can't give them away here because of the emissions problems but I never hear about the actual engines reliability.

Worst engine ever.

I've seen them get outran by damn near everything else on the road, they're gutless piles of scrap metal.

Do they know how to drive them ? They can and must be lugged down unlike Cat, over 1600 rpm nothing happens. At least euro specs are like that, US versions are made different so I dont know. ECM tuning makes them alive.

I've seen them get outran by damn near everything else on the road, they're gutless piles of scrap metal.

How many of those single axle trucks pulling pups you ever passed? You would be surprised at how many of them in the mid 90s were/are running 355/410hp 3406E engines.

How many owner op spec trucks with the D16 or mack Titans with the MP10 have you actually come across, same goes for 500+ hp ISX's?

Most bad mouth the C12s too, but I bet jfaulkner has one that would change most people's attitude on them.

How many of those single axle trucks pulling pups you ever passed? You would be surprised at how many of them in the mid 90s were/are running 355/410hp 3406E engines.

How many owner op spec trucks with the D16 or mack Titans with the MP10 have you actually come across, same goes for 500+ hp ISX's?

Most bad mouth the C12s too, but I bet jfaulkner has one that would change most people's attitude on them.

When I worked at a local crane company we had a c-12 that would out pull any truck in the fleet. It would get down and work. No idea what was done to it or anything but it thought it was a big motor.

I know two good friends of ours that have owned and operated C12s and have nothing but good to say about them. The one friend bought had a little less hp than his previous 3406b and more torque!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love bobtailing c12s and c13s at work. We have a custom freightliner fleet here that all weigh just over 10k. They haul balls off the line.
The only hardware problems we see/have seen on the 12s are skirts exploding and cam followers. Occasionally we see the head gaskets leaking to the cam side.

Last edited:
Amen. We've just started to see the internal problems from them, and have had everything imaginable happen to the externals.
Does the euro trim use the super egr horse ****?
I dont know much about them but they used EGR already from Euro3, others started from Euro4 If they didnt use urea. Now Iveco and Scania have Euro6 without EGR, only urea and dpf.

Never run across any macks to my recollection, as for the others, the only ISX that ever out pulled my acert was one that was deleted/tuned by pdi, and it wasn't cut and dry either, he never got his pup all the way past my front bumper. Circuit trucking (the company i used to work for) bought one truck with The d16 Volvo engine, the other one had the d13, after the break in period that D16 couldnt oupull their 565isx's, after seeing the way they ran, all the power they didn't have, and fuel mileage they didn't get, combined with the pile of chit Volvo truck they came in, I wouldn't get within a mile of one of those if I was a fleet owner.

Coolant in oil with out going the other way isn't the oil cooler, water in oil is most likely lower o-ring leaking on liner, a common problem with trucks that set.

Hhmm, I'll cut the coolant loose and see if it's mixed both ways. Pulling sleeves was not on my to-do list this spring.:nail:

You would know, our old t600 was blowing oil out of the radiator over flow, when the oil cooler let go. Best way to check liners before pulling them is to pull the pan and pressurize the cooling system and watch for drips around the liners.

You would know, our old t600 was blowing oil out of the radiator over flow, when the oil cooler let go. Best way to check liners before pulling them is to pull the pan and pressurize the cooling system and watch for drips around the liners.
What engine?
Pulling pan with pressure and heat on the cooling system, yes...

Got my truck dropped off to the doctor yesterday, boss texted me today with the news........the head gasket is smoked, so at 1,020,000 miles its getting opened up for the first time, what was that about cat engines being piles of garbage?

Alrighty, so here's the plan for my overhaul, the shop that's doing it is overhauling it with a 6NZ engine kit with the 58? Injectors, the turbo they have is a BW part number 117148 which is a 550 6NZ replacement to the best of my knowledge, they also have a computer with an original 2WS 550/1850 file in it, would the marine 800hp cam be a good one to throw in? Its either getting one of those or a 550 6NZ cam.

What has happened to dyno days ? I see PDI and Antrim advertise them but no results, pics or videos anywhere ?

Alrighty, so here's the plan for my overhaul, the shop that's doing it is overhauling it with a 6NZ engine kit with the 58? Injectors, the turbo they have is a BW part number 117148 which is a 550 6NZ replacement to the best of my knowledge, they also have a computer with an original 2WS 550/1850 file in it, would the marine 800hp cam be a good one to throw in? Its either getting one of those or a 550 6NZ cam.
A 6nz platinum kit will come with 57's, switching to 58's will add about 100hp. The 800hp cam is the way to go but even a stock 6nz cam is better than the MBN, however they're the same price so if your buying one buy the marine cam.

You won't know your driving the same truck when it's done.

Back