Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I've ran heavy equipment for 13 years, ran pretty much every brand of every machine. And I will say cat by far is the best all around. Volvos are nice I guess you could say, but they wear out 4x faster then cat. But thats just my opinion.
Bingo

The newer euro motors in trucks want cruising RPMs of 1000-1200. The American motor has only gotten down to 1300. Very possible American drivers aren't running the euro motors like they want to be ran, however the majority of them go into fleet trucks with guys that could care less. More and more of these have auto shifts though which should help.

Yes but even truck dealers dont understand it. I'm at the moment quoting a new truck and I wanted max 1200 rpm at max cruising speed, they said it's too fast. When we checked it and I told my idea was to run overdrive on level ground and when light or empty which means 1130 rpm at 90km/h or 1000 rpm at 80, when heavy or mountains use direct which is 1400 rpm at 90km/h, still inside "green zone", then they said OK but recommended automated box.

Ethylene Glycol is the base for most engine coolants and has nothing to do with what the coolant type is. Propylene Glycol is also used for environmental reasons. When it is used the name usually has PG in it somewhere if it's an aftermarket brand. OE branded stuff (aka Bobcat Coolant) might not mention it.

Color means nothing but most green coolants are IAT (inorganic acid technology) which use large amounts of silicates and nitrites for protection. These are a couple of the SCAs that need to be tested for an added back into the system since they deplete rapidly. Not all IATs come pre charged with SCAs either. IAT coolants prevent corrosion and cavitation by forming a physical barrier on components, this protects well but causes issues in newer hotter running engines. Silicate dropout (gel) can also be an issue in things like EGR coolers. Conventional IATs can work just fine in most older engines provided the coolant is tested regularly and SCAs are added as needed either via liquid form or through use of a filter pre charged with them. The reason you see scaling is likely due to the phosphates in many of them combined with hard water. Most of the Extended life coolants are phosphate free.

The most common ELC coolants found in trucks are all OAT (Organic Acid Technology) either with (NOAT) or without (OAT NF) Nitrites. Color means nothing but of the main brands you see for trucks usually the NOATs are reddish and the OAT NFs are yellow which is not to be confused with HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) "all makes and models" coolant which is also generally yellow. A big reason to not base things off color. OATs are Silicate and phosphate free among others. In simple terms they work by attacking the issue as needed versus just laying down a protective layer. The additives do not deplete rapidly like IATs. Most OATs are much more friendly to aluminum and high heat engines. Nitrite is still added to many because of its role in protecting against liner cavitation. However this is changing because the testing that has been done shows that OATs alone protect against liner cavitation as well, and nitrites do not always play well with aluminum at high temps. For this reason many new engines specify OAT NF. Nearly every engine from Europe requires it, Daimler, Volvo, Navistar, Iveco/Fiat, etc. OAT NFs are rated for slightly shorter intervals, 600k/6yr versus 750k/8yr is what some brands show.
Thanks ! First time I read explanation about different types of coolants. I was told earlier that different colours are just colours but seems like green is working differently and should be avoided when using modern engines.

C18s blew head gaskets around 450 000 kms and someone told that it was because wrong coolant was used. Maybe they needed coolant with nitrides to prevent cavitation? Was Sisu factory using wrong coolant from the beginning ?

Sisu factory? As in AGCO Sisu Power?

From what I get in my tractors over here, their coolant looks like MUD.

Chris
Sisu Trucks and Sisu engines are now separate companies. Sisu engines were earlier Valmet engines.

Propylene glycol becomes dark when it ages, maybe that's what they use ?

Sisu Trucks and Sisu engines are now separate companies. Sisu engines were earlier Valmet engines.

Propylene glycol becomes dark when it ages, maybe that's what they use ?

This doesn't look like normal old Propylene glycol.

I'll have to take a picture of it next time we pull one in.
Chris

But remember, we aren't allowed to guess what it is based on color....... You will get a refresher course thrown at you.

I'm curious how coolant formulation causes a head gasket failure.

We have had issues with a body builder and the chassis builder on one of our products mixing incompatible coolants. Mud, pond water, plated silicates. Yeah...

A shop with a waste oil furnace has never recommended long intervals! Lol

Isn't that the truth lol I do love my red engines and will always stand up for them. Truth is they all made problem child's and they all have there own problems. I would run a cummins, Detroit or cat engine

Show me where a Volvo engine has been well known and documented to go over a million miles unopened, can't do that huh? Caterpillar, cummins, and detroit all can.

Was just a quess. Cavitation eats block or liner ? No, they were just Cats And coolant was an excuse.

Cavitation eats both but when the liner sits on the block deck if there is coolant there eating things you have bigger issues than cavitation. On a lower counterbore motor like a C12 or an ISX maybe, but neither of those are known for low liners being a common issue with headgaskets like the Cat spacer plate design.

Isn't that the truth lol I do love my red engines and will always stand up for them. Truth is they all made problem child's and they all have there own problems. I would run a cummins, Detroit or cat engine

If all 3 got together and designed one motor it would be a mechanics dream. There are a few things on the red ones I don't care for. The 870/871 fuel system for example and DOHC. Cat can take their spacer plate and liner design and cram it. Both Cat and Detroit can shove the relief cuts in their heads. Cummins could learn to save money by cutting their need for different parts for every engine. Why is it Cat could use the same injectors, cam, turbo for a 450hp engine as it does for a 550 but cummins will list 5 different injector part numbers for the same CPL? They both could learn from Detroit by using cam bearing caps. Now Detroit engineers must have suffered head injuries with the DD15. Rear gear train??? Seriously??? Great for a cabover, idiotic for a conventional. And don't give me your European BS about how it's sooooo much better Lenny. It's not a new invention, it was tried before back when we still used COE's. No engine imported from Europe has been a winner so far, for example Paccar MX and Maxxforce 13. Both have proven to be less than successful at topping their American counterparts.

Yeah whoever thought up the rear geartrain needs punched in the head, changing an air compressor in a freightliner Columbia is a fricking joke on those DD engines.

Yeah whoever thought up the rear geartrain needs punched in the head, changing an air compressor in a freightliner Columbia is a fricking joke on those DD engines.

It's for crank longevity, much less twisting forces. Every new engine will have it.

Back