Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #21
Dutchy93

Name: Dutchy93
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
thanks smokin, i fired him an email this afternoon. i thought about doing it all hard stainless tube but im a sucker for those black anodized fittings.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #22
Dutchy93

Member`s Gallery
i spoke with jim from diesel controls a few days ago, he agreed that with my gvw, lack of hills around my area and an almost new cooling system that the low flow would work just fine for me. He said that 550-600 is a very attainable goal, and he was just going to do some figuring on the injectors/ pump to get me there. Everything is looking good so far, turbo is figured out and good to go. My biggest question mark is still the charge air cooler or my aftercooler and whether the switch would be worth it or not, im leaning towards just leaving it, clocking the ht60 to work for now and seeing what happens.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #23
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Personally, I think its worth the effort.

Cooler more dense air is going to make more power. You might throw all of this fuel at it and not have the air density need to burn it all.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #24
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Friend has a 3406B with aftercooler, Did 600hp to the ground at Antrim. He's planning on doing some work to it and I asked if he was going to switch to ATA. But with the EGT's below 1000 in the manifold and the water stays cool I'm not sure there is much to gain.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #25
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
855 cummins help

I'd like to see dyno numbers of a WJAC engine compared to a ATA engine. In an on road application, I don't see where one can make an argument for jacketed aftercooler.

My 3406B, 7FB ATA did 753 hp at Antrims. My dads 3406B, 4MG did 770 hp at Antrims. Word was a 3rd mechanical Cat did over 800 hp at Antrims this year. Be curious to know if it was an ATA or a WJAC motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RockinRam96; 01-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:54 AM   #26
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
855 with WTA has done over 1000 reliably, ATA would be waste of money and time. WTA will become more efficient the more you push the engine because temperature difference will be greater.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #27
Dutchy93

Member`s Gallery
Im not doubting its the better set up, if it wasnt new trucks would be running WTA still, right? I just dont think its worth the money at this point, i'd really love to run it this season as is and see what happens. If my egt's get stupid and the smoke is to much then i will consider the switch over the winter next year, but for now i think it would be interesting to see how the after cooler does. If i did it i think id look for a wrecked truck with an N14 for the rad/ATA and intake manifold etc and just do a complete switch, high flow cooling and all. Besides this truck definitely isnt going anywhere, it was my first and i literally assembled it with the help of my dad and buddy bill from a cab and chassis out of a field after 15+ years early retirement.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #28
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy93 View Post
Im not doubting its the better set up, if it wasnt new trucks would be running WTA still, right? I just dont think its worth the money at this point, i'd really love to run it this season as is and see what happens. If my egt's get stupid and the smoke is to much then i will consider the switch over the winter next year, but for now i think it would be interesting to see how the after cooler does. If i did it i think id look for a wrecked truck with an N14 for the rad/ATA and intake manifold etc and just do a complete switch, high flow cooling and all. Besides this truck definitely isnt going anywhere, it was my first and i literally assembled it with the help of my dad and buddy bill from a cab and chassis out of a field after 15+ years early retirement.

At highway speed I have no doubt the ATA is better but unless the fan is running there is zero flow on say a logging road at 25mph. The 6.7 powerstroke is ATW BUT has 2 separate cooling systems.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Dutchy93

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
At highway speed I have no doubt the ATA is better but unless the fan is running there is zero flow on say a logging road at 25mph. The 6.7 powerstroke is ATW BUT has 2 separate cooling systems.
yea exactly, i live 30 minutes south of ottawa and almost all of our work with the truck is in the city, wide open road ventures over 200km are rare. Ive already planned on an over ride switch for the fan, i think it will be fine. Now if the weather would lighten up and i could get started. How can i upload pictures? Maybe some of you guys would like to see some progress?

Old 01-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #30
RockinRam96

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy93 View Post
yea exactly, i live 30 minutes south of ottawa and almost all of our work with the truck is in the city, wide open road ventures over 200km are rare. Ive already planned on an over ride switch for the fan, i think it will be fine. Now if the weather would lighten up and i could get started. How can i upload pictures? Maybe some of you guys would like to see some progress?

We'd love to see progress.

I use the talk Tapatalk app on my phone to up load pictures. Seems the easiest. I think you can add pictures off a desk top by clicking the paper clip icon above the reply box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 PM   #31
Dutchy93

Member`s Gallery
hopefully these load, this is a little glimpse into the rebuild of the truck. Story i got was it was a highway truck 12/40 axles, 48'' bunk, 400 BC4 15OD 4.56, guy lost his license drinking and sold it. Second owner put the heavy front and double frame under it, as well as the rubber block suspension to be a dump truck but never finished it and passed. He owed a guy money who took the truck instead and left it in a field for 15 or so years when we bought it. add just said international 9400 turns over 3800$ takes it. We came with a battery, it rolled, handed him the cash and towed it home. Over about 7 months i worked for dad trucking and we all pitched in to get it to where it is. last winter it got the paint job, still not sure i loved that blue, but i love the way it looks. Everything was done in house except for the alignment and paint. anyways, hopefully these work, and soon enough it will be less of a story and more of results.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #32
gwhammy

Name: gwhammy
Member`s Gallery
The 94 I have like yours is n14 with ATA and it is also mechanical pump. I would think you could find this stuff as old as it's getting. I'm found a couple being parted out in St. Louis Mo. with the eagle front clips but haven't had time to go look.

Closed Thread