600horse 2nd gen what do I need done right

railwelder87

Ruby red obs
so I recently picked up an 02 4x4 190k miles. I want to make a good reliable work horse/tow pig daily out of it nothing crazy. so where would I start. not new to the diesel game but new to cummins and what's best options out there. first things first yes it's an auto and yes my first endeavor is getting a billet trans built for it should be done in around a week. because we all know that's the number one week link. trans first then fuel going to give it 160gph system either fass or air dog. then arp studs. what's a good head gasket to go with for this application. then let's talk injector size and turbo. the stock setup will obviously need help. I want good throttle response with minimal lag some is ok but I'd like to steer away from twins for now. probably go with a good 3 piece manifold on the hot side. will I need to change cam for this setup, and what would be a good size injector to go with. I'd like to still get some economy out of it if possible. but be able to pull my tractors around with ease when I need to. any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't touch the head gasket if it's not leaking yet, just replace the studs one by one. For that power level and towing a 63/68 might be enough, much more and it won't like towing heavy. No sense changing the exhaust manifold or the cam at that level. For injectors get ahold of Infinite Performance.

Honestly, you will save a pile of money and time if you want to try to run 500-550 HP to the tire using a single. VP trucks are super fun at that power level, and an easy build.

I wouldn't touch the head gasket if it's not leaking yet, just replace the studs one by one. For that power level and towing a 63/68 might be enough, much more and it won't like towing heavy. No sense changing the exhaust manifold or the cam at that level. For injectors get ahold of Infinite Performance.
200k miles leak or no leak ours getting a head gasket done when it gets studded it's assanine not to

You get an original high miles head gasket that hasn't leaked I'd leave it also, they seem to hold out more than they should. Also doesn't hurt anything if it did push the gasket, as long as you dont keep driving it afterwards.

63/68, 100 hp sticks, cam, good intake filter, 40hp tuner, and a new head gasket. Done.

Yes, I said cam. I can't believe I ever drove my '02 around without one. Hamilton cam made night and day towing. Especially spool up loaded on the on ramps.

Last edited:
200k miles leak or no leak ours getting a head gasket done when it gets studded it's assanine not to

It’s really hard to beat a factory seal. If it’s not leaking stud it one at a time. It’s less likely to fail than if you pull apart a perfectly good seal and “redo” it.

63/68/14, 6x.013’s from Infinite Performance, Edge Comp, and an appropriate fuel system is a solid 500+ hp to the tires that you can tow with. Anything more than that on a single turbo will suck to try to tow with.

Last edited:
It’s really hard to beat a factory seal. If it’s not leaking stud it one at a time. It’s less likely to fail than if you pull apart a perfectly good seal and “redo” it.

This was documented in the Junker drag truck thread, and if im not mistaken they still had stock head bolts for a while too.

I ran a 66 73 .9 and it was laggy but fun, I would never recommend towing with it though.
Ran a 12.34 in the quarter mile in a quad cab short bed truck

Seems kinda wishful thinking from what I've always seen. My long term pipe dream has been 500 working hp. Sort of a 500hp tow tune, and everything I've seen has always said compounds are a must. I've been hopefull that some of the newer tuning available would make it possible with a single, but these trucks just get much attention. I had been trying to read up on the smarty udc pro, and the newer quadzilla specifically.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

this oughtta be interesting..600 hp on a single vp truck....that tows tractors..im all in for this

I had a single sxe364.5 with 6x.013’s from Weston that was around 650ish rwhp by my track times and I pulled tractors no problem. I wouldn’t recommend it for a tow rig but it got me by through the year

mine gets me by too...pulling gross 25k for 40 mi each way gets done..not the way I want tho. hauling the toyhauler 400 mi is another story....that aint towing ..its driving with yer eyes on the egt's

Back