Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 7.3 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

7.3 Powerstroke 99-03 Powerstroke Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #41
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATmech945 View Post
Did he change the injector cups? Or at least clean the old ones up good before installing the new injectors? Sounds like some sort of issue with the way the o-rings are sealing. I've had them run rough after a fresh install but never as bad as you're describing unless something was installed wrong. O-rings flip flopped, etc.
Thats exactly what i said but no one else has mentioned the cups... i thought it was recommended to change the cups in a powerstroke every time you replace injectors....arent they bad about cracking?

sent from my damn phone

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #42
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
They crack very easily if the injrctor hold down bolt aren't tight enough! Out of all the 7.3L injectors I've replaced I only had cup issues on one set and I fell it was caused by a loose hold down. Now that these trucks are coming in with well over 100K miles we're replacing cups more often.

Oil/fuel on the pistons will only cause problems on the initial start. We always leave the GPs out and crank the motor over by hand before we start them then we change the motor oil as well. If the engine is locking after it's ran awhile it can only be liquid entering the combustion chamber. If it's coolant there will be lots of pressure in the cooling system after you run it a while. If combustion gasses enter the fuel system all sorts of weird chit can happen but I've never seen one hydro lock. However it would be possible if it's leaking fuel badly enough that fuel enters the cylinders as soon as the key is cycled on...I would suspect this if there is a bad misfire that will not clear up and the cooling system appears fine. Cracked cups can also cause fuel/coolant cross contamination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Last edited by LReiff; 10-31-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM   #43
JJeepyjohn

Name: JJeepyjohn
Title: Make Me Fries
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudn_1 View Post
Thats exactly what i said but no one else has mentioned the cups... i thought it was recommended to change the cups in a powerstroke every time you replace injectors....arent they bad about cracking?

sent from my damn phone
No you dont have to replace the cups everytime you replace injectors. You should pressurize the cooling system thou while they are out and check the cup for leaks.. cleaning the cup should be a no brainer, spaying them with good parts cleaner is usually all it takes.Sometimes thou if the engine has been run hot the O-rings will stick and you can use an inj cup brush to clean them up nicely.
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM
1998 Ranger Interceptor 6BT
FIREPUNK Golden Nugget Competition Stage1
DPC Billet Triple Disc Converter

Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #44
CATmech945

Name: CATmech945
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Would it be safe to assume that your buddy doesn't know much about these engines?? I'm not by any means taking a shot at your friend but I've seen people literally yank the old injectors and stick the new one's in without looking in the hole simply because they don't know any better. I would pull the injectors back out, check the order of the o-rings, pressure test the cooling system for leaks and clean the cups good. Check the oil and coolant too and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. It's really easy for someone to screw the process up especially if this is their first whack at it. If the problem persists then go to bean's.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #45
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
Just pulled injectors out of a 169K mile '00 F550 this morning with rough run issues, white smoke and low power. All the injector tips have major carbon buildup and one injector cup is cracked.

Last edited by LReiff; 11-01-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #46
JJeepyjohn

Member`s Gallery
Which cup.. just curious
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

Old 11-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #47
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATmech945 View Post
Would it be safe to assume that your buddy doesn't know much about these engines?? I'm not by any means taking a shot at your friend but I've seen people literally yank the old injectors and stick the new one's in without looking in the hole simply because they don't know any better. I would pull the injectors back out, check the order of the o-rings, pressure test the cooling system for leaks and clean the cups good. Check the oil and coolant too and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. It's really easy for someone to screw the process up especially if this is their first whack at it. If the problem persists then go to bean's.
yes.....

I would have done things differently, although I am powerstroke stupid too.... but I have done enough injector installs on cummins to know precautions to be taken.....

and NO word on the truck, i havent spoken with him in a while..

Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #48
ctdiesel99

Name: ctdiesel99
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
as soon as you hear from him please let me know!!

2014 Jeep GC SRT

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #49
JJeepyjohn

Member`s Gallery
Did you two have a lovers quarrel and now aren't speaking ?
Police Interceptor Pkg.
1999 Dodge 2500 QC 2wd
COMPETITIONDIESEL.COM

Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #50
JJeepyjohn

Member`s Gallery
Waiting..........................